Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-83+/84+] This is the Only Level

Started by JWinslow23, March 05, 2016, 07:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWinslow23

Hm. I'm surprised you haven't played it yet. It has been out for almost 10 months by now :-|

Go for it! And sorry, there is no secret walrus in this one (although I did grant your wish on the CE ;) ). Hope you have fun with it!

Also, I can now grace my showcases of this game with this official POTY screenshot!

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah my main issue is that most of the time I play calc games on a real calculator, so whenever I actually play calculator games, I always end up playing on models that have a backlit screen. Also I like the POTY screenshot, although for some reasons inside the game the screen is a little darker. Does the game change the contrast by default? O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Yes it does. For Stage 30 ("No sweat."), the room gets darker as you progress, and since I didn't want this effect to be in the form of choppy changing of room colors, I made it by changing the contrast. Of course, if you have it set dark by default, it has less effect, and likewise the effect is a bit too over-exaggerated if you use that one contrast setting where you can just barely see the action by default :P , so I had to make some default contrast be your contrast in the game. The optimal one for my calculator happened to be the one I chose, and it is indeed 2 shades darker than default.

Dream of Omnimaga

The only issue I got with contrast changes is that even at highest contrast we still see stuff on-calc, while on emulators we still see stuff sometimes at lowest contrast. This is why it was always so hard to take animated screenshots of my 2003-05 BASIC RPGs. Plus if you switch contrast rapidly between light and dark it creates bluescale for a split second on 15 MHz models, which can either be a desired effect if used for magic animations, for example, or undesired due to the potential of wearing down your LCD if abused.

Also some calcs have different contrast levels, which is why for Reuben series I decided to let the user choose his default contrast.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U