Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-83+/84+] This is the Only Level

Started by JWinslow23, March 05, 2016, 07:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWinslow23

Bump.

Now, I have stages! This is a 9 stage demo (ending at "Arrow control", even though the name "Heavy headwind, here" is programmed and will show up). Try it, see if you're smarter than the elephant!

Download attached. Source will become available upon request, even though I'm ashamed of it because it is ugly. Tell me what you think!

Dream of Omnimaga

I like what I see so far. I don't have time to try it right now but I'll download now for later. :3=
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Bump.

I now have 11 more stages programmed in! Well, technically 10, because I still can't figure out how to program Stage 18. Any programming help at all would be greatly appreciated.

As well, I have added game saving (so far, it only saves your timer and your current stage), and have added GRAPH as a panic button.

Download attached, as well as a .8xg file containing all the sources and the compiled program. Again, any programming help for Stage 18 would be greatly appreciated!

Dream of Omnimaga

What is stage 18? By the way, I like how many features this gsme have for a calculator. It makes it one of the most elaborate calc game.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 12, 2016, 06:55:19 PM
What is stage 18? By the way, I like how many features this gsme have for a calculator. It makes it one of the most elaborate calc game.
Stage 18 is collapse. @JWinslow23 's been having trouble with it for awhile now.
And yeah, it's a real feature-rich game.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Platforms are basically collapsing?

Dudeman313

Essentially, yes. In the game, on that stage, everywhere you stand crumbles under you after a few seconds in Character-sized blocks.
Looks like this:

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks for the pic and explanation. Seems challenging but it must be hard to code without slowdowns

Dudeman313

Yeah, it'd explain why he's somewhat stumped.
I think @JWinslow23 should first see if he can "grid" the whole game screen, and make some blocks just stop being drawn
first, so that a fall-away animation could be made later if it's not too much of a slowdown.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

That said, I doubt slowdowns would bother people much. They know it's a calculator, after all. You could add frame skipping maybe to reduce slowdowns. Or limit how many blocks can fall in one frame.

JWinslow23

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 13, 2016, 09:40:39 PM
Yeah, it'd explain why he's somewhat stumped.
I think @JWinslow23 should first see if he can "grid" the whole game screen, and make some blocks just stop being drawn
first, so that a fall-away animation could be made later if it's not too much of a slowdown.
I'm having trouble already making it so they disappear when you stand on them. I don't want them to fall instantly, either, there has to be a few frames at least of leeway, and that's proving kinda hard as well. I'm trying making a huge array with frame timers for the blocks that I set to count down to 0 whenever the elephant stands on it, and while it's counting down it turns grey, and it disappears on-screen and in the level memory when the timer reaches 0, but not only does it seem slow, it isn't working for some reason. Neither aspect. It's frustrating me.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that must be hard as hell. The only way I think of is having each tile on the map have their own registered coordinates, then when you stand on a thin platform that tile is then registered as about to fall (1 instead of 0). Each loop, 4-8 tiles vertical positions are updated and what's behind is redrawn if it got erased (if applicable in your case). On loop iteration 1, it updates tile 0 to 3, then iteration 2 updates 4-7 and so on, then once it reaches tile 97 it loops back to 0. The floor tiles that are marked as about to fall (1) are then marked as falling (2) and they fall by 4 pixels at a time. It might look choppy but I think it would be fine per calculator standards.

aetios

I think it's best to spawn an entity when you get on a tile, then draw that over (instead of??) the tile. That way you can easily manage using an entity array.
(relatively easy)
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."