Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

How the hell we did so far (evil)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, December 12, 2014, 08:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMachine02

It is pretty much the same for me, I have exams to do, and they are pretty hard - we have +-400 places for 2500 candidates, so yeah I work more on that than my calc/computer project  <_<
Be sure that once this will be done, I will be mucch more active..... *evil update planned*

Dream of Omnimaga

Ouch, I hate stuff with limited places. When I wanted to take the same course as Juju (multimedia integration) there were only 50 spots available. I managed to get in with 80% scores average, though.

Anyway, if you ever get more time to work on your 3D engine you can be sure it will get a sub-forum. It might get one earlier, though ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Snektron

Most (middle, i guess) schools here do also have limited places when you join, but me or my siblings never had
any trouble with it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait what? Then if someone doesn't make it in, how is he supposed to continue school? Over here law forces kids to go to school until they turn 16 years old, so if they stopped accepting you at school for low grades then you would be in deep trouble. The only place with limited spots are private schools (which are expensive) and post-hi-school studies.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 09, 2015, 01:21:07 AM
When I wanted to take the same course as Juju (multimedia integration) there were only 50 spots available.
They accept more and more people nowadays, there's something like 75 spots available now. But still, myself I have no idea how I got in, I applied like at the last day (when most courses are closed) and I still somehow got in... Guess I took the place of some guy who declined.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

It's possible that some people that conditionally accepted at first finally failed to meet the requirements at the end of the school year (for example, their hi school grades fell apart). In your case too, you had done college before too which might have helped, and since you had all your French/English stuff done already they might have figured that you had more chances to succeed than someone who still has all of that to deal with.

Back on topic, we need to find a way to get more members to like our Facebook page and follow our Twitter account. The FB page still only has 5 likes and the Twitter 10 followers. >.< Plus at 100 likes we would be allowed to use whatever Facebook page URL we want I think (it currently doesn't let us use CodeWalrus nor CodeWalr.us even if both are available. They don't state why, but I read somewhere that it was because we need more likes)

I was contemplating merging my music page with CW since I don't do much music lately, but I'm unsure if that idea would fly well with the people there.

Snektron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 09, 2015, 04:44:07 PM
Wait what? Then if someone doesn't make it in, how is he supposed to continue school? Over here law forces kids to go to school until they turn 16 years old, so if they stopped accepting you at school for low grades then you would be in deep trouble. The only place with limited spots are private schools (which are expensive) and post-hi-school studies.

If you do not get in your first school of choise you'll have to find another :(.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 09, 2015, 05:23:25 PM
Back on topic, we need to find a way to get more members to like our Facebook page and follow our Twitter account.
I don't even have FB or Twitter, CW is enough social media for me :P.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 09, 2015, 05:23:25 PM
I was contemplating merging my music page with CW since I don't do much music lately, but I'm unsure if that idea would fly well with the people there.

People who like your music may not like CW or vice versa though :/

Dream of Omnimaga

This must be a serious problem if the next school is 100 km away from your home and your school doesn't offer public transportation services for cheap.

About the FB page this is why I was a bit reluctant about merging it. Some people might not like the CW topic notifications spam.

What I wish is that the 2012 Omnimaga backup corruption didn't happen. If it wouldn't have happened, I could have merged TIMGUL music showcase into CW and tried bringing the users there. I think by the end of it there were only about 200-300 original MP3 files left, because half of them got corrupted in 2009 due to an FTP upload error in Filezilla (set files to the wrong type so all MP3s were corrupted), and the 2012 backup crash and shut down of original site led to all 2011-12 stuff getting lost.

I guess I could let the TIMGUL guys know about CW, though, in case they still make music.

Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh OK I wasn't sure if you lived in a very rural area. Over here there are cities with like 10 schools, then all of a sudden there is a 20 km long road with absolutely nothing but corn fields, cows and farms. I doubt those locations have a school every 10 km.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok so if we convert the stats to daily average, this is where we would be at since the private opening in November. The lifetime daily posting average has remained around 57 posts per day for almost a month now:

November: 50.7
December: 49.1
January: 74.3
February: 54.1
March (excluding today):  57.5
Stats: http://codewalr.us/index.php?action=stats

However if we combine the three most active English TI forums together (Cemetech, Omnimaga and CodeWalrus), February 2015 seems to have been a slow month compared to February 2014, even moreso if we also add up TI-BASIC Developer to the mix. November, December and January appears fine, though. Hopefully the trend in the TI community is reversed with the arrival of the TI-84 Plus CE and the end of the robotics season.

Dream of Omnimaga

So it looks like we already hit 15000 posts this year (without a spam section), and we're only 6 months in. Kinda surprising considering in February and Early March, activity was often worse than when the site was still invite-only. O.O I would like to say thanks to everyone who participated to the growth of the site and the community. :walrii:

On the other hand, I have a big load of posts to catch up on lately (I'm often behind by 5 days, but thankfully unread topics haven't overflown past the Recent Posts list yet :P)

Unicorn

Wow thats awesome! I am also behind on posts, about 2-3 days :/
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

:w00t: Go CW!!! I am ontop of stuff (I think) but you never know :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

brentmaas

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 05, 2015, 05:38:43 AM
So it looks like we already hit 15000 posts this year
About a third was yours, though xD
Lel I glitched Omni