Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

NHL Playoffs (ice hockey) + bracket challenge!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 13, 2015, 05:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Yeah, and half of the games (2 and 3 I think) were won in OT. Talk of a close playoff.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Also while the Jets were swept, most games were pretty close too. If they had done a bit less mistakes or had better goaltending I am betting that they would have won a few games. I am curious about what Maurice will do during the off-season. Also my Isles aren't doing well D:
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

And there you go, another Sens win by 5-1. Sounds like a revenge from all those 1-goal wins.

Edit: Let's look at this friendly challenge between your two favourite French Canadian staff, shall we? Looks like the only two matchups DJ and myself were agreeing on were the two firsts to end. Ducks swept DJ's favourite Jets 4 games to none a few days ago (so no point here) while Rangers (which DJ would see winning the Cup) finished off with Crosby's Penguins 4-1 tonight.

Score:
Juju: 10
DJ Omnimaga: 10

Also the rumors machine is going strong these days as the NHL is rumoured to expand to Las Vegas and Québec City. as soon as next year for the former and the year after for the latter. Gary Bettman himself would see the league expand from the current 16-14 to 17-15, but no team moving, though. Which would still be pretty cool.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Yay the Rangers won the series! :D And Sens now 2-3 (were facing elimination for the last two games). Not sure what happened tonight with the Habs lol.

And yeah apparently Bettman said that if the current 16-14 format is working well, then he wouldn't mind seeing 17-15. That would mean that expanding both West and East (eg Quebec) would be a possibility. I hear rumors that the NHL wants to wait until Seattle is ready before expanding, but seeing him says 17-15 is a possibility means he opens the door for an Eastern expansion. I'm not 100% convinced about Las Vegas success, but given that their season ticket drive was successful (11K deposits so far) that could at least help them for the first few years, and the tourists will most likely want to see their Wings/Habs/Kings/etc play while in vacations there. Also this would be the only major league team in the area so even if hockey isn't popular in the South, it would face no competition from the NFL, NBA and MLB.

Also fun, but shocking fact: The first color TV broadcast of Stanley Cup final arrived before the last time Toronto Maple Leafs won the trophy. :P I believe the first SCF color footage is from 1964 but maybe there were some earlier? https://youtube.com/watch?v=AiWz3nrySXU
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

WOOOHOOO!!! FLAMES WON!! And Isles 3-3 in the series, Red Wings also only have 1 game to go and same for Minnesota. *crosses fingers*

EDIT: LOL two empty net goals

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, when they had 1 minute to go they pulled the goalie to get a better chance at scoring, and then Calgary scored an empty-netter. But then, Canucks still tried hard to score so they decided to pull their goalie again just in case this time it works out better. And it failed again. To be honest, I would have been tempted to do the same too if I was down by 2 goals and saw that my team still had good chances to score. Remember when the Nordiques were down by two goals in Game 1 of 1993 quarter-finals? They pulled their goalie then scored twice, sending the game in overtime, then Scott Young scored in overtime and the Colisée root shattered literally (well not really but that gotta have been the second loudest crowd at the Colisée, behind 1987 Stastny OT goal against the Whalers).

Yuki

DJ Omnimaga confirmed for CodeWalrus' Paul Houde. (If you know him he's very knowledgable in hockey stats.)

Also speaking of which, spotted this in yesterday's episode of My Little Pony:

Ironically enough, they lost that day.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Welp the Sens lost D:

Oh well, let's see how well the Habs do vs Detroit or whoever they'll play in round 2.

Also those ponies could easily beat the Leafs.

Yuki

Yep, either Tampa or Detroit. Can't wait to see which one. And of course the Canucks would beat the Leafs anytime. As well as this one.

(Dat pun it's almost incredible.)
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait, were they really wearing Canucks jerseys in the first pic? O.O

Yuki

Looks like it. The resemblance is uncanny. And Rainbow Dash is sporting a Philadelphia Flyers jersey because, get it, she's a skilled flyer? Also note that the show is animated in Vancouver, so that would explain everything.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh that could explain it, although maybe they just used the same colors as a nod to the existing teams, but without necessarily naming them nor using the logos, since that would require a license from the NHL. Kinda like how hockey video games need the NHL license to use the official NHL teams and the NHLPA license to use the player names (which is why Stanley Cup for the SNES only uses player numbers)

On an unrelated note, I played NHL 2014 on the 360 with a friend a few times in the last few months and the last time I did it became a check-fest lol, but the funny thing is that when we were hitting players they were sent flying a bit like the SNES game. Just not as bad, though (since in Stanley Cup you basically fly halfway across the rink)

Yuki

Yeah, that's pretty much a well-thought easter egg for those who knows hockey. Using the logos and names would not only require a license from the NHL (which would be overkill for like 2 seconds of screen time) but it would also probably be kind of out of place, although you could say they're from Fillydelphia and Vanhoover to add some horse puns in there.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Unicorn

I feel so sad, do you think the flames will get passed Anaheim m tho?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???