You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here. | New CodeWalrus | Old (dark mode) | Old (light) | Discord server

[gLib][3d][z80][ez80] gLib a fast 3D asm/axiom library

b/[Inactive] gLib 3D polygon library (TI-83+/84+/CE/83PCE) Started by TheMachine02, January 19, 2015, 05:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

u/Snektron January 22, 2015, 09:28:42 PM
Quote from: TheMachine02 on January 20, 2015, 10:16:16 AM
Matrix calculation is also made with integer, 7bit integer to be more precise. [-64,64] and precision is ok, as well as speed :

stress test with 256 points, 6fps at 6MHz (so for matrix rotation : 2304 fastmul per frame, and 256 div, 512 mul)
this test is without using fast math  :)

While we're on the point-cloud off topic:

Cheaty isometric 3d in Axe, 1024 points ^^ (it's probably faster in asm).
u/Dream of Omnimaga January 22, 2015, 11:47:59 PM
Woah, that looks cool actually! It reminds me of water drop effects. It's slow but is it 6 MHz like the other screenshot? O.O
u/Snektron January 23, 2015, 12:14:29 AM
Yeah, but it's not much faster in full.
In ASM it could reach much more power, since
you only need a few registers. Ill look into that
In the near future :)
u/TheMachine02 January 29, 2015, 12:04:06 PM
So, I was writing my primitive pipeline, when I had a LOT of flashes.
First, I've got idea for a new pipeline in vertex processing, however I simply don't know wich performance I can expect from it, and if it more efficient than my current pipeline.
I analized my pipeline, and find that my current caching system (aka VBO) is simply ... slow  :P

A new caching system worth to be designed, and I got an really interesting idea, but wich use lot of RAM : instead of having a VBO cache wich size is 16*NB_VERTEX+2 and wich is unaligned, I could do a cache of size 9*256 (2304 bytes), fixed size, and aligned
With this, I can acess the cache as interleaved array, and save +-15% of the previous cache fetch cycles.
BUT, the main drawback is the fixed size (VBO is a varyng size), and this also make my pseudo VBO totally unusefull : it need code rewriting.

As exemple, expected code for fetch:

_gVertexFetch:
ld h, gCache/256
ld a, (hl)
ld (gClipCode), a
inc h
ld e, (hl)
inc h
ld d, (hl)
inc h
ld (gPositionX), de
ld e, (hl)
inc h
ld d, (hl)
inc h
ld (gPositionY), de
ld a, (hl)
inc h
ld h, (hl)
ld l, a
ld (gPositionZ), hl

at 153 cycles

What do you think of all of this ? Should I try this pipeline, wich may totally change the using syntax of the core? (I know I don't already do the tuto, so it is not really to bad, but bleah) and does the cache system should be implemented this way?
u/Dream of Omnimaga January 29, 2015, 03:20:53 PM
I unfortunately don't know assembly so I am unsure what you mean by pipeline. Could you enlighten me about the benefits and drawbacks this would have in your program?
u/Snektron January 29, 2015, 03:49:03 PM
Ah i think i get what he's trying to say. Instead of calculating the address of a vertex by adding up the
size of every vertex before it, have a fixed size for every element. (it's very hard for some of us to understand
since we don't do any ASM and/or 3D pipeline writing :P
u/TheMachine02 January 29, 2015, 04:16:06 PM
 :P

A pipeline is the command flow of the program, it just tell wich action to do in order, like:

-rotate vertex -> project vertex -> render point.

The current system I used, have an indexed cache, storing the rotated vertex (in order to not re-rotate them if needed), acessing data this way :
Index_vertex*16+BaseAdress, this command giving adress of the location of the vertex, baseadress point to the really first element.

The new cache I designed doesn't acess data this way, but acess them way faster. However, there is drawback, and I liste them below:
*OLD :
-indexing is slow              ( --)
-flexibilty in size (user defined) (defined by the number of the vertex user input)  (++)
-theorical infinity of vertex (++)

*NEW:
-indexing is WAY faster (14% for vertex, 70% for x,y coordinate speed boost from previous routine) (++)
-fixed size of 7*256+512 bytes  (-, as a simple program will need lot of free RAM to be run)
-theorical 256 vertex per cache, but multiple cache can be used. (+, not really pratical)

u/Dream of Omnimaga January 29, 2015, 08:26:05 PM
Ah ok thanks for clarifying. I think RAM should not be an issue now that most people use ZStart and Doors CS7, unless it requires as much RAM as Gemini or something. For the cache size I guess it depends how large maps can be (eg a game where every map takes 1 second to go through might not be as fun)
u/TheMachine02 January 30, 2015, 10:37:07 AM
Well fixed cache can have at max 256 vertices, so allow pretty much complex map, and is smaller than 256 vetrtex with VBO.
u/Dream of Omnimaga January 30, 2015, 05:12:01 PM
Aah ok. How many vertrex would a cube contain, for example?
u/TheMachine02 January 30, 2015, 05:29:36 PM
A cube contains 8 vertices. Btw, 256 is the limit of the nostromo's world if I remember well.
u/Snektron January 30, 2015, 06:17:47 PM
To clarify: a vertex is a point in space.
u/Dream of Omnimaga January 31, 2015, 03:47:29 AM
Thanks. It seems like it could definitively handle medium to large indoor maps. :) Maybe someone could make a 3D clone of Illusiat 3? :P
u/TheMachine02 April 11, 2015, 02:12:28 PM
Soo.. I was implementing new function (testing my new pipeline), and I got stopped by the name  <_<

Like : should I name the function :
-gGenVertexArray() and gVertexAttrib() wich is really big (and with the large font doesn't really look good on the screen)
something smaller ?
-gGenVxArray() and gVxAttrib() but I feel that those two "lose" the understandness of the two other...
Basically :
-gGenVertexArray() create a vertex array ... :p or return the adress of an existing one.
gVertexAttrib add attribute (color, normal...) to the current vertex array.

Anyone got a little idea on that ?  :P
u/Snektron April 11, 2015, 02:14:23 PM
Maybe change "Vertex" with "Vtx" instead of "Vx"?
Website statistics

MyCalcs | Ticalc.org | Cemetech | Omnimaga | TI-Basic Developer | MaxCoderz | TI-Story | Casiocalc.org | Casiopeia | The Museum of HP Calculators | HPCalc.org | CnCalc.org | Music 2000 Community | TI Education | Casio Education | HP Calcs | NumWorks | SwissMicros | Sharp Calculators