Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Nspire Emblem

Started by LD Studios, April 14, 2015, 02:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LD Studios

Lately Ivoah and I have been collaborating on a new project in lua for nspire, a clone of the classic GBA strategy game: "Fire Emblem", the project name... "Nspire Emblem" (isn't that clever...)

Current Screenshot (graphics are temporary):

The plan is to have a semi-complete fire emblem game, with lots of items, characters and chapters, as well as a great story line. As of now, it displays the map and all of the units, and you can select units, and move them within a given range.

Stay tuned for more information, and comment if you have any ideas/suggestions!

CKH4

Pretty cool sounding. I remember a planned fire emblem clone for the ti 83+/84+ but I didn't hear anything else about it. I hope yours gets done because it looks pretty pro. Good luck.

Edit. I like the title play on words.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Dream of Omnimaga

Seems like a very ambitious project considering how big Fire Emblem games can get. I hope you can pull it off. It definitively looks good so far. How is the speed so far?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

THat doesn't seem so bad. The hardest thing is chaining AI and events. THe rest should drop quite easily once you get rid of the hardest design knots. Good luck! ;)
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

Looks good! Though i'm not familliar with Fire Emblem...
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

jamu

Oh wow, that's pretty cool, need it
I have a rhythm game problem.

LD Studios

Quote from: CKH4 on April 14, 2015, 02:25:44 AM
Pretty cool sounding. I remember a planned fire emblem clone for the ti 83+/84+ but I didn't hear anything else about it. I hope yours gets done because it looks pretty pro. Good luck.

Edit. I like the title play on words.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 14, 2015, 05:31:05 AM
Seems like a very ambitious project considering how big Fire Emblem games can get. I hope you can pull it off. It definitively looks good so far. How is the speed so far?
It is a rather ambitious project, but a lot of the engine is already complete, and I think with the two of us working on it, we will be able to finish ^.^ I don't think speed will be a problem considering we only need to refresh the screen about 2 times per second, as of now it runs perfectly fine!

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on April 14, 2015, 10:40:46 AM
THat doesn't seem so bad. The hardest thing is chaining AI and events. THe rest should drop quite easily once you get rid of the hardest design knots. Good luck! ;)
Thanks, I think that with the way movement is currently setup, a decent Ai won't be too difficult to do!

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 14, 2015, 01:20:59 PM
Looks good! Though i'm not familliar with Fire Emblem...
Thanks, and you should change that! ;)

Quote from: jamesguessis on April 14, 2015, 03:54:48 PM
Oh wow, that's pretty cool, need it
Thanks!

Dream of Omnimaga

So I assume that in Lua, the main speed problems are with graphic rendering and math is fine? If math is fine then hopefully you can have moderately complex AI with many units at a time without slowdowns :) (especially that you don't need to move every single unit every turn)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 15, 2015, 01:33:45 AM
So I assume that in Lua, the main speed problems are with graphic rendering and math is fine? If math is fine then hopefully you can have moderately complex AI with many units at a time without slowdowns :) (especially that you don't need to move every single unit every turn)

Yeah pretty much. Although the graphics aren't slowing it down very much, we just draw the map as a single pre-rendered background, and the troops shouldn't make a very big dent in the speed.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you pre-render the background on-calc from smaller tiles or do you have to create a 320x240 picture on the computer then store it as data in the code? The HP Prime can do both, but I don't remember about Lua. I hope you don't have to store massive images, since that can get quite large fast, although I am OK with the extra file size if the game is good :P (on the HP Prime it's the opposite: Graphics are ultra fast, but program control, especially For loops, and to a lesser extent math stuff are a serious speed drain).

Anyway I wish you good luck in this project to you and LD Studios. Hopefully it won't end up in LD Studio's defunct project list like the Medieval Platformer and Portal >.<

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 15, 2015, 03:46:55 AM
Do you pre-render the background on-calc from smaller tiles or do you have to create a 320x240 picture on the computer then store it as data in the code? The HP Prime can do both, but I don't remember about Lua. I hope you don't have to store massive images, since that can get quite large fast, although I am OK with the extra file size if the game is good :P (on the HP Prime it's the opposite: Graphics are ultra fast, but program control, especially For loops, and to a lesser extent math stuff are a serious speed drain).

Anyway I wish you good luck in this project to you and LD Studios. Hopefully it won't end up in LD Studio's defunct project list like the Medieval Platformer and Portal >.<

We create the background on the computer and store it with the game. This shouldn't increase the game size too much if we have ~10-15 levels, plus, size isn't really a problem on then Nspire. Hopefully with two people working on it, motivation will never drop too low :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok. Do you use compression for the background? Because 320x240 in 16 bits colors is 150 KB large, so if you have 50 levels, then the game would be over 7 MB large. Unless Nspire Lua uses a much smaller image format or lower color depth?

LD Studios

Yes, the way Nspire Lua stores image takes up much less space. We already have a pretty solid chunk of code, and one full screen image and the file is still under 35 KB. I think the full version shouldn't be more than a few MB.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh that's better than I expected then.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Does they have a good compression system? That's nice of them. YOu could be able to put a lot more into the project! ;)
  • Calculators owned: A lot.