Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

My main worry is that removing it would break the website when browsing from mobile, such as showing errors, but that finally wasn't the case. And apparently we can do it fine, as the Tapatalk staff themselves even explained how to do it, but if they ever decide to disallow it then we can simply get rid of Tapatalk anyway. We average at 20 posts a month from Tapatalk and 300 page views IIRC so we would prefer not losing those, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 30, 2015, 01:35:34 AM
My main worry is that removing it would break the website when browsing from mobile, such as showing errors, but that finally wasn't the case. And apparently we can do it fine, as the Tapatalk staff themselves even explained how to do it, but if they ever decide to disallow it then we can simply get rid of Tapatalk anyway. We average at 20 posts a month from Tapatalk and 300 page views IIRC so we would prefer not losing those, though.
maybe someone would like to make an iOS/android app for posting on CW?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

princetonlion.tibd

That would be nice, tapatalk is hard to use IMO :P

And/or a free Cw IRC app for mobile :P I just tried efnet and the button to send is tiny.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84 + CSE, Voyager 200, TI-Nspire
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)

Snektron

Quote from: Unicorn on July 30, 2015, 06:39:41 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 30, 2015, 01:35:34 AM
maybe someone would like to make an iOS/android app for posting on CW?

I don't trust myself yet with authentications. I'm guaranteed to c up somewhere and leave a giant security hole.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

I heard before that when a website relies on an external app to make browsing easier, then that website has serious design issues. Ideally we want to focus on making the mobile theme even more mobile friendly if it isn't already. Of course Tapatalk is a nice option when you have a slow device or connection but if not many people are gonna download it just to browse CW, then even fewer people will download an app just for 1 site
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

You know what would be cool for a mobile site? A side drawer. Also some way to view recent posts on the home screen on the mobile version would be cool though, since i miss that a lot

Dream of Omnimaga

What is a side drawer? Do you mean the ability to scroll in side navigations? That would be cool. Also maybe scroll bars for the member list so we can see everything but without distorting the page.

Snektron

It's a menu that appears when you swipe across the screen (horizontally). Walrifier android has one too

CKH4

Swipe testing is difficult without a JS lib. Usually a simple button is good enough but if you feel like being fancy slide out menus are cool.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Dream of Omnimaga

novenary

Dream of Omnimaga

Didn't you create the responsive theme, though? :P

Unless of course the sliding thing requires javascript?

Another idea I thought was to not have any animations and simply buttons to expand/collapse the boxes, but the question is where to put them.

What about putting the sidebars at the bottom of the page in mobile mode? I mean, it would be like when we are in the admin/profile panel in classic mode, except that instead of having the navigation/extra content at the top, it would be at the bottom due to not being as important in this case.

EDIT: Also, the 404 page now has a link to CodeWalr.us

novenary

The responsive theme is just a css hack lol. It works well enough for our purposes though. :3 As for the menu, you need some js yeah.

Yuki

I think you can do the sliding thing all in CSS.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

novenary

Yeah but to toggle the menu you need a bit of js I think.