Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What TI-BASIC Editor Do You Use?

Started by Araidia, October 19, 2015, 06:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Araidia

I saw this and I want to know the best TI BASIC editor to use on the computer. I don't want to program on the calculator because that will take too much time, and I don't have that kind of time to waste.
FYI: My computer runs on Windows 10
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Hayleia

(I do Axe but that's the same war, we need tokens :P)

On Windows, I use TokenIDE. There are things I don't like, such as the fact it saves as txt by default and only produces the 8xp when you export (even though you opened a 8xp in first place you know, so you would expect to save a 8xp).

And on Linux I use Vim :P
And I put tok8x behind it obviously. You would say that it also edits a txt and not the 8xp "directly", but since on Linux you can put scripts everywhere (on Windows too but that's less common), there is nothing bothering anymore.

novenary

Actually I think with Vim you can make a script that allows you to directly open and save to 8xp files and have tok8x process it in between. I'd rather save raw text and have tok8x called by a makefile though.

Adriweb

I write my basic programs in hex, yo, directly with the tokens, you see?

</troll_but_not_so_much>
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

123outerme

Quote from: Hayleia on October 19, 2015, 06:44:28 PM

On Windows, I use TokenIDE. There are things I don't like, such as the fact it saves as txt by default and only produces the 8xp when you export (even though you opened a 8xp in first place you know, so you would expect to save a 8xp).
I use Tokens as well. But I learned that it's really easy to save a program as an .8xp, you just have to press F5 instead of Ctrl+S.
But I really like Tokens, it's got a lot of good features. But I don't remember how to make comments or even if you can, and I'm too lazy to look it up.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Hayleia

Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 19, 2015, 09:04:17 PM
Actually I think with Vim you can make a script that allows you to directly open and save to 8xp files and have tok8x process it in between. I'd rather save raw text and have tok8x called by a makefile though.
Yes, probably Vim can do that, but I don't really care, I have a script that opens all the files I need at once, converts them, sends them to Tilem in full speed and presses keys to tell it to compile :P
And yeah, raw text has advantages too (version control).

Quote from: 123outerme on October 19, 2015, 10:59:02 PM
I use Tokens as well. But I learned that it's really easy to save a program as an .8xp, you just have to press F5 instead of Ctrl+S.
But I really like Tokens, it's got a lot of good features. But I don't remember how to make comments or even if you can, and I'm too lazy to look it up.
Yes, I know that, but it doesn't change the fact that everything revolves around the text saving. I mean, when you edit there's a star next to the name, and when you save (as text) the star disappears for example. But with F5, nothing. Except for the first time (where it asks you where you want to build), you never know if you "saved" or not. And if you exclusively use F5, you'll have an annoying popup at the end saying that you didn't save -.-

123outerme

Quote from: Hayleia on October 19, 2015, 11:28:30 PM
Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 19, 2015, 09:04:17 PM
Yes, probably Vim can do that, but I don't really care, I have a script that opens all the files I need at once, converts them, sends them to Tilem in full speed and presses keys to tell it to compile :P
And yeah, raw text has advantages too (version control).

Quote from: 123outerme on October 19, 2015, 10:59:02 PM
Yes, I know that, but it doesn't change the fact that everything revolves around the text saving. I mean, when you edit there's a star next to the name, and when you save (as text) the star disappears for example. But with F5, nothing. Except for the first time (where it asks you where you want to build), you never know if you "saved" or not. And if you exclusively use F5, you'll have an annoying popup at the end saying that you didn't save -.-
Yeah. I just thought I'd add, although with a group of people that specifically program calculators, I should know it isn't necessary lol. And yeah, I agree it is annoying but I just save and F5 together all the time.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Araidia

And I put tok8x behind it obviously. You would say that it also edits a txt and not the 8xp "directly", but since on Linux you can put scripts everywhere (on Windows too but that's less common), there is nothing bothering anymore.
Can you provide me with a download link of the newest version of TokenIDE? I don't know if the one in the link I have in the topic post is the newest version...
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

For me it depends of the calculator:

-TI-83+/84+: SourceCoder and on-calc TI-BASIC editor
-TI-84+CSE: SourceCoder
-TI-84+CE: On-calc editor

I only use computer editors if an emulator is available for the calculator I'm programming for. Else it's a major PITA to have to send programs to my calc and connect it to the computer every three minute to test, especially during debugging. However, on-calc editing is not a viable option on the CSE because the editor is just too slow.

Quote from: Araidia on October 20, 2015, 02:35:04 AM

Can you provide me with a download link of the newest version of TokenIDE? I don't know if the one in the link I have in the topic post is the newest version...
http://merthsoft.com/Tokens.zip

That editor is actually quite good too and it comes with various options for images. It's also off-line, unlike SourceCoder, which requires an Internet connection at any time. Saving files can be annoying, though, because TokenIDE creates a text file of the source by default with standard keyboard shortcuts.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U