Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

OpenRA (Open Red Alert, and more)

Started by Siapran, May 29, 2015, 11:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siapran

DJ have you tried playing a bit?
I'd really fancy playing a 2V2 game with some walrii to be honest

(thx for the move btw)

btw if you want the original files they are available as abandonware.
the french website provides the actual ISO, but I'm sure you can get them pretty much anywhere
you could also grab them bundled with PortableRA

but really, the rework on the game made by openRA is great (balances and tweaks)
- RIGHT-CLICK COMMANDS YES (you can toggle that btw)
- CONSTRUCTION QUEUE YES
- FOG OF WAR YES
- air units can actually scout now (instead of just doing tactical strikes on visible targets)
- allied artilleries are now actually useful
- flame towers are now actually useful
- engineering an enemy base is harder since it's time-based now (you can't simply engy-spam the ennemy MCV anymore)

Dream of Omnimaga

Not yet, sadly, I didn't have much time to play any game really, even Starcraft.

As for right-click command, that seems nice. I am used to Starcraft controls so I am very used to right-clicking to move units around (although I prefer using Attack move (A + left-click) if I want units to attack anything on their path.

I don't get the fog of war part, though. Didn't the original C&C series have fog of war already? Or was it something only available in the Nintendo 64 game?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Meh. The most epic thing in RA is it's music! :p
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yes, C&C music was just awesome. I actually liked it more than Starcraft music back then, but Starcraft music is nice in its own ways too.

EDIT: I just realized that Tiberian Dawn is the first C&C game. I thought it was a later game. I'm definitively playing this first once I get OpenRA installed. Good old memories :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U