Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

The truth about why CodeWalrus opened (warning: controversial)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, August 25, 2015, 04:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lionel Debroux

critor's news yielded hundreds of replies on Omnimaga, amounting up to high single-digit / low double-digit percentage figures.
The fact that Omnimaga news item posting by the TI-Planet staff came to an abrupt end is clearly not the only cause of activity decrease, but was part of it - that's all we're saying :)
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Yuki

Yeah, exactly, it could be one of the causes, but it's not exactly THE cause.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

@Lionel Debroux when I stepped down in 2011 Omni newsing almost stopped entirely until Critor became news editor and it caused a drastic decrease in program features and activity.

Not only that, but the CGPN Newsletter ended the day I stepped down too because no one was willing to take over

So yeah that kind of stuff certainly didn't help.

Now that I mention it, I really need to write the July/August/September CWPN <_<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

semiprocoder

I am really new at calc coding and calc forum(have only seen omninaga front page pretty much), so I probably missed out on a lot of the details, but you've been talking about why you've made this site after you stopped being owner of the site, but my question is: why exactly did you step down from your position on the site? Why did you give control over in the first place?
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

c4ooo

All of this fighting is pointless and will just result in an even smaller community. First of, Kerm and whoever must figure out that if a group of five people dont like a site, they have the choice to leave, and start their own site. Second of all, why would dj be trying to destroy a site he himself created?, and if so where is the hard proof that he is? So far the only thing I've seen are blind accusations. DJ and the other admins should confront (positive connotation implied) the admins that are acusing CW, and explain to them face to face (over skype or something) that their actions are immature and are only splitting the community farther with no solid proof! Lastly, CW and other sites should work together to revive each other and to keep each others' communities alive, as to allow the WHOLE ti comunity to thrive for decades to come.

Not trying to be offensive to anyone. yes my tone in writing this is angry one, but it is sad for me to see the community go this way :P I hope something can be done  :-|  :)

Yuki

For those who don't know, and if I'm wrong please correct me, so in short, a few years ago, DJ was the main admin of Omnimaga, then retired in favor of other admins. Then those other admins changed quite a few stuff not in spirit of DJ's tenure as admin and some people disliked the changes. So a few people (including DJ and myself) went ahead and created a new site (this one). That's pretty much what happened in tl;dr version, something like that.

And yeah, if any admins of other sites want to confront us directly, we'll be happy to do so.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

@semiprocoder Back in July 2011, Omnimaga mentality and policies were nearly identical to CodeWalrus today. The reason why I stepped down is because a certain group of individuals repeatedly tried to start site wars and force me to change Omnimaga mentality to be closer to theirs. Also, back then I didn't know how to setup SMF so that I can manage forum categories without having full moderator privileges, and since I can be unstable I didn't want moderator privileges anymore. I simply collapsed under the pressure.

@c4ooo It wasn't just 5 people, some other people were already fed up with Omni long before CW existed. What we didn't know is that none of the Omni moderators nor admins would take CW seriously at first: Instead of increasing their activity after the split, they all stopped posting from December 19th to January 2nd simultaneously. Not a good way to prop up activity when your top poster (me) is about to leave.

Oh and yeah, I don't see why I would try to destroy the very site I created and devoted 10 years of my life admining. I spent 3 years begging the remaining admins to not do so, racking up a total of 55000 posts in the process, often losing my mind in the process because I cared so much about Omni. The reward for doing so was a few bans, newsing privilege reductions, anyone who sides with me getting kicked out of Omni staff and me no longer being welcome.

As for contacting the admins or users who falsely accused CW, people did that many times before for other matters (for example, clarifying Ndless authorship due to kerm repeatedly claiming it's by TI-Planet), to no avail. The real solution is to frequent the websites you like, make new calculator, computer or hardware material, music, encourage other members on their projects, give your opinion and have fun. Oh and tell us what to improve on CodeWalrus so we can please you and perhaps more people within our free time/abilities. :)

@Juju yeah this is why I didn't lock this topic. Ideally I would prefer that it won't continue into a "throw mud at Cemetech/Kerm/Omni" discussion, though *pokes Lionel to be a bit careful*, because what had to be said was already mostly said and it won't really change much anyway.

By the way @Hayleia CodeWalrus was founded before the petition was started (by three weeks). The site opened in invite-only mode just before the petition was started and when we saw that Omni staff was open to changes, we instead decided to just be a programming team with different mentality and unique features as long as the petition effects last. But they turned out to be short-lived, as just 3 weeks after the petition, @Thecoder1998 was blasted on IRC for insignificant reasons. As a result, CW slowly reverted back to a full site. CW doesn't replace Omnimaga, though, because it's too different (mentality-wise) to do so

EDIT: Interesting data:

DJ Omnimaga - 2001
Streetwalrus - 2012
aeTIos - 2010
Juju - 2010
Keoni29 - 2011
matrefeytontias - 2012
Hayleia - 2011
Duke Take Eiyeron - 2011
Scipi - 2011
unknownloner - Mar 2013
Thecoder1998 - Oct 2013
Vijfhoek - 2012

Notice a pattern? The major Omnimaga policy changes happened in November 2013, and all of the first 12 users to be let in joined the community before that date. Among them, most arrived before or just shortly after I stepped down from Omni administration.

And the following users joined the community in 2014, but waited until CodeWalrus opens to public before starting participating:
Cumred
alexgt
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

Due to repeated attacks and attempts at starting inter-site drama (then playing the victim once they get a response) by 1 Cemetech admin and 2 Omnimaga admins, 1 moderator 1 recently demoted news editor, I initially contemplated setting an embargo on both those sites, which was discussed a few days ago in the staff sub-forum. But the embargo was set prematurely out of anger after yet another incident since I had enough, and I apologize for that (although it will be re-instated if anyone vandalizes our site again like during the Pimath incident in August). I now instead decided to paste every incriminating logs in this post so people can see the truth and make their own mind about it:

February 23rd thrashing of our entire userbase: http://chat.eeems.ca/?server=irc.omnimaga.org%206667&channel=omnimaga&date=Mon%20Feb%2023%202015#1424726741451

May 1st thrashing of our entire userbase and bashing the 4v3 contest: http://chat.eeems.ca/?server=irc.omnimaga.org%206667&channel=omnimaga&date=Fri%20May%2001%202015#1430516571810

August 9th libel: http://chat.eeems.ca/?server=irc.omnimaga.org%206667&channel=omnimaga&date=Sun%20Aug%2009%202015#1439143800602

Autust 9th: CW defaced (400 posts lost). http://pastebin.com/k9ecpSQ0

August 9th (Omni admin telling people to enjoy the s***show, in reference to CW being defaced) http://chat.eeems.ca/?server=irc.omnimaga.org%206667&channel=omnimaga&date=Sun%20Aug%2009%202015#1439148660186

August 10th (then telling juju to basically cry him a river) http://chat.eeems.ca/?server=irc.omnimaga.org%206667&channel=omnimaga&date=Mon%20Aug%2010%202015#1439170987828 (at this point the embargo would have been in place if it wasn't for the PR-move news posted afterwards)

October 6th (libel from one Omni moderator, although someone's remarks about Omni aren't much better, no offense Nikky): http://pastebin.com/hByyv8UZ

October 6th (same line, but this time from a Cemetech staff): https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=676.msg23435#msg23435 (EDIT: I discovered a few hours after posting those logs that both people were reprimanded by another Cemetech staff for it, privately, so that's good)

October 12th (same admin trying to encourage his members to boycott CW) http://chat.eeems.ca/?server=irc.omnimaga.org%206667&channel=omnimaga&date=Mon%20Oct%2012%202015#1444692200147

October 13th (then admins playing the victim as if they were perfect and never do anything wrong) http://chat.eeems.ca/?server=irc.omnimaga.org%206667&channel=omnimaga&date=Tue%20Oct%2013%202015#1444696139434

September 23rd (CW being called a fiasco): https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=240086#240086

In April 2013, TI-BANK and every other website and Youtube channel ran by TI-BANK admin suffered from an embargo for similar reasons: On [embargo'ed], links to TI-BANK and related sites were disallowed for about a year, while on TI-Planet, any post containing "TI-BANK" or the name of his founder were edited to remove those. Again, I am sorry for taking this rash decision out of anger, but I feel that unlike what they imply when playing the victim, the [embargo'ed] admins are not perfect nor never doing anything wrong. here is a screenshot of the post explaining that 2013 embargo:

Araidia

I do like the idea of transparency. Wow, you've been through so much as well. So much drama. *starts crying*(I really wouldn't be able to deal with that much conflict-congrats man)
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

To be fair, I did MANY mistakes in the past too (including my earlier anger outburst that led to the short-lived embargo) . The biggest mistake I ever did IMHO was stepping down from Omnimaga admin, but I didn't have much choice back then, due to my health. Now I am just defending CodeWalrus place (and its mentality) in the TI community, just like I defended Omnimaga's former mentality back in the days.

My volatile temper is another serious issue I have, which is partly why I didn't want to be global moderator here (I can warn, help taking decisions, manage forum categories, design and plugins, though). My temper often gets in the way, though, but sadly there are people elsewhere who knows this and use this at their advantage.

Human nature is screwed up badly.

Now what I am gonna do is eat some food then check project updates and interesting discussions elsewhere on the forums.

EDIT: And of course some people will defend Omni like if they are perfect and never do anything wrong, then shift the entire blame on me. That's a classic:

https://www.omnimaga.org/general-discussion/enough-is-enough/?topscreen 

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 13, 2015, 03:21:48 AM
Now what I am gonna do is eat some food then check project updates and interesting discussions elsewhere on the forums.

Sounds like a good idea :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

GalacticPirate

WOW. After reading only several posts, I wonder if Homo Sapiens wasn't an uncontrolled error... Seriously, all this c shows another time how humans are stupid. Why, each time any community creates, there should be stuff like this ? Kevin Kofler, Mic Nic, KermMartian, the geekboy... Why are there always jerks like these to do absolutely whatev's ? Isn't it possible to joke without falling in that type of... (I can't find any word to describe this) ? I mean, on TI-Planet, I and others often 'troll' and there have never been any problem ! I know, 'I'm too young to understand', but let's say that : all of us are more immature than a 5-year child ! So, stop criticizing others, hidden behind your computer, and really TALK !

PS : (Moderation) Moderate/Boycott this if you want, I'm just trying to be a bit objective)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

brentmaas

I didn't know the calculatorcommunity was THAT vicious o.o
Lel I glitched Omni

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: StarTrek on October 13, 2015, 11:15:20 AM
without falling in that type of... (I can't find any word to describe this)
Perhaps jealousy about CW success despite our users sharing a different mentality than theirs? Either way, apparently those people are perfect and never do anything wrong and it's always my fault (or ours). So end of story.

Legimet

Quote from: brentmaas on October 13, 2015, 02:11:29 PM
I didn't know the calculatorcommunity was THAT vicious o.o

I didn't know it either until the stupid Omnimaga-TI Planet wars. The best thing to do is just ignore all of this.