Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Fk

Started by James Oldiges, June 27, 2015, 12:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Oldiges

I just wrote a ridiculously large post about a project I am starting work on.
I pressed post, and it redirected me to the login screen, erasing everything.  It was really really long.

Would you please change it to be a pop-up log in with a chance to cancel so that doesn't cause future issue? -.-

Dream of Omnimaga

I never had that issue. Plus normally if you had logged in, you would keep your post content, unless you use some outdated browser like IE7 or so.

ANd changing it to a pop-up won't fix the issue. It will still error out regardless.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

James Oldiges

Alright, good to know.  I figured the data was last via the page change, but what do I know. I'm a hardware, not a software guy

Dream of Omnimaga

The only times where I actually had content vanish when clicking back was when sending PM on Omni back when they had the posting errors from last IP a few months ago (Idk if they still do, because I didn't send any PM nor post there for a long while, but I no longer get errors during searching and logging in). And losing posts usually only happened when sending PMs, not posting. That said, on Invisonboard 2.0, losing posts when usign Quick Reply on a slow server was common, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

James Oldiges

I don't know man.

All I know is that a bug unreported is a bug unnoticed.
I don't advocate action be taken, but being noted, if others slip on the same peel then they know it be not an isolated issue

Dream of Omnimaga

Except that then it would be SMF fault. Such bug report, if that's even one, since you are the first person to have this issue here, would have to be reported to Simplemachines support forum or their bug tracker itself. It will most likely be marked as bogus, though, if it's deemed to be a browser glitch.

What I suggest if you are too scared to lose posts is to write your posts in Notepad first, save the result then copy it in a forum post once ready.

Strontium

IIRC there is a chrome extension that saves your form data. I forgot what it was called, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

James Oldiges

Strontium,  That sounds absolutely fantastic, and is a brilliant idea for an extension!  I'll go hunt it down right away.  Thank you.

Strontium

Please tell me if you find it, I really need it :p
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Dream of Omnimaga

It's possible that there could be a SMF plugin that does like Twitter or Facebook and save your current post as a draft, but I am unsure if it really exists, if it's reliable/secure (in any case it would need to warn people if they want to cancel their post so they are aware that a draft will be saved otherwise) and if it takes much space in the database.

James Oldiges

The only result I found was called "Lazarus: Form Recovery"
However, It failed to install, so I am unable to test it.

Snektron

I had kind of the same issue on skiing vacation <_<. We had very poor wifi there, so i kept disconnecting and losing everything i typed. Most of the
time i could recover it by going back, but some times not and im not really confortabl with typing on phones too <_<
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

TheMachine02

Yeah, that is why when I write long/painful to write posts, I usually do some Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C time from time, and especially before posting. That way it is still in the computer buffer  :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Unless you use Firefox, which has (or had?) a long history where CTRL+C sometimes stops working. Always paste your post elsewhere to make sure it's really in your clipboard.