You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here. | New CodeWalrus | Old (dark mode) | Old (light) | Discord server

KnightOS

Previous topic - Next topic

b/[Inactive] KnightOS (TI-73/83+/84+/CSE) publicado por u/Yuki November 18, 2014, 01:33:53 PM
http://juju.codewalr.us/emu.html

Just trying out something.

EDIT (DJ) made it external link because it will make some people's older computers freeze otherwise >.<
Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 11:21:31 PM by DJ Omnimaga
Inicia sesión o crea una cuenta para dejar un comentario
u/novenary November 18, 2014, 01:49:57 PM
Whoa it's pretty cool that you got this running here. :D It totally lags my browser though (and maxes a whole cpu core out O.O).
* Streetwalrus enables e10s to try

Edit : OK lol e10s totally breaks it (maybe it's because of vimperator but I'm too lazy to turn it off :P).
Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:53:48 PM by Streetwalrus
u/Yuki November 18, 2014, 02:49:00 PM
Yeah, it will be pretty useful if and when we'll get some nice KnightOS packages in the downloads section eventually.
u/Dream of Omnimaga November 18, 2014, 11:04:16 PM
Yeah I agree. I think this should be used mostly for the future arcade, though. If this site gets an arcade like Omni had it will be calc-only material or at least ports of calc games, and being able to disallow exiting games and launching them instantly, while also being able to extract highscores would be amazing.

However, I don't think we should implement TI-OS support since it will require uploading a ROM for the user, unless you implement some ROM uploader that doesn't keep a ROM copy on the server like jsTIfied. So yeah people might have to port some games :P

SirCMpwn really needs to make this emulator less laggy, though. It's awesome but on my Intel Core i7 in CHrome and Opera it's like if I was running Crysis 2 maxed out. This might also explain the server lag if there is any PHP code in this.
Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:06:09 PM by DJ Omnimaga
u/aetios November 19, 2014, 10:16:43 AM
How? I am not getting any lag, and I'm running a mobile i5 O.o
u/pimathbrainiac November 19, 2014, 01:04:45 PM
I'm getting lag myself. Maybe GPU has more to do with it than CPU?
u/aetios November 19, 2014, 04:05:01 PM
Err, actually... I'm getting lag, especially on Phoenix :P
u/Dream of Omnimaga November 19, 2014, 05:26:14 PM
Yeah lots of lag in Phoenix and my computer fans spin like crazy
u/matrefeytontias November 19, 2014, 06:24:35 PM
Haha yeah z80e is in the "work first, optimize later" stage.
u/novenary November 19, 2014, 06:37:39 PM
The problem is that the emulator was not really made for browsers. I can actually run the PC version at something like 300MHz. :P
u/Yuki November 19, 2014, 06:46:25 PM
Yeah, an arcade based on calc games would be pretty cool. KnightOS can launch games without going through the castle menu and for the high scores, you would probably be able to look in the RAM, but that's game by game. A ROM uploader would be doable entierely in Javascript with HTML5 storage. And we have a few people here who works on KnightOS stuff iirc, guess he can always help us.

Anyway, the emulator works fine on Chrome with computers I tested with 4GB RAM. On this netbook with 1GB RAM it's kinda laggy, but usable. Well, at least it's better than nothing.
u/novenary November 19, 2014, 06:52:10 PM
I thnk Firefox is the only browser supposed to run it really well for now due to asm.js (that iirc Chrome doesn't have).
u/Yuki November 19, 2014, 07:10:15 PM
asm.js stuff runs pretty well on Chrome. You just need a decent computer. Of course, your mileage may vary.
u/Dream of Omnimaga November 19, 2014, 10:50:21 PM
I got a quad core 2.8 GHz with 8 GB of RAM so maybe it's my GPU?  Anyway I assume it will improve in terms of speed in the future, else not many people will use it. If jsTIfied CSE emulation can run at full speed on this computer then I'm sure it would be possible to improve this KOS emulator to run just as fast. It just takes quite a lot of work and we have to be patient. >.<
u/novenary November 19, 2014, 11:17:54 PM
The emulator is purely CPU based.
Start a Discussion

b/[Inactive] KnightOS (TI-73/83+/84+/CSE)

A third-party operating system intended to be compatible with every Z80 TI calculator that can be upgraded from the TI-73 to the TI-84 Plus series. It is still under development.

Topics
Explore Board
Website statistics

MyCalcs | Ticalc.org | Cemetech | Omnimaga | TI-Basic Developer | MaxCoderz | TI-Story | Casiocalc.org | Casiopeia | The Museum of HP Calculators | HPCalc.org | CnCalc.org | Music 2000 Community | TI Education | Casio Education | HP Calcs | NumWorks | SwissMicros | Sharp Calculators