Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

OS 5.1.5 released for the TI-84 Plus CE and TI-83 Premium CE

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, January 19, 2016, 07:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Texas Instruments has released OS 5.1.5 for the TI-84 Plus CE and TI-83 Premium CE. It is unclear what are the changes in this OS, but so far, it still runs ASM programs (after a quick test with CE Textlib in FF:MF) so that's good, and the BackGroundOn/BorderColor screen refresh bugs are still not fixed.

The TI community will most likely investigate about possible new additions in the near future.

Download links:
https://education.ti.com/en/us/software/search/ti-84-plus-ce#view=handheld-operating-system
https://education.ti.com/fr/france/software/details/fr/B1B863F270AB4381A836C38E88A94127/ti-83-premium-ce-operating-system

Source:
https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17853
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kegwaan

I always look at people that own a CE with envy... Still looking and I have yet to find a CE for sale that I can afford  :'( but I guess it would help if I had more than $7  :P
When you mentioned that it still runs ASM programs, are you implying that TI might be trying to remove the possibilities of playing games on the newer calculators? If I'm not mistaken, I think they already disabled third-party apps on the CE. If that is the case, do you think there will be jailbreaks for the calculators?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ CSE
"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, I implied that, because the TI-82 Advanced came out just a week or two after the TI-84 Plus CE and it lacks ASM/Apps support, so some of us feared that TI might eventually remove ASM/C support in the CE. It looks like so far they aren't, though. What I think is that TI is simply removing features in the monochrome models to lure customers towards the more expensive 84+CE. (although the price is pretty much the same as the 84+SE and 84+CSE a few years ago)

And yes, there would be jailbreaks if that ever happeens. There is one for the 82 Advanced already, although BrandonW hasn't published it yet. It's not well-known because the 82 Advanced only came out in France.

Also while third-party apps are disabled on the CE, official apps can still be added from TI website. Third-party ASM programs have to use shells that operates like Ion, AShell, Venus and SOS did. Even Doors CS for the CE will be a regular 8xp program.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

I really want a CE, but I'm waiting for DCS9 to come out 1st. So you're saying this will have to be a program?
The TI-84+ CE will no longer accept 3rd-party applications?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

GalacticPirate

Yeah, and all shells (CEsium, Doors CE 9, PHASM) are in this case because TI didn't provide the app SDK...
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Dream of Omnimaga

On the other hand, you get 150 KB of RAM instead of 21, and speed is faster.

CVSoft

The CE killed my precious DBUS port, rendering the CBL 2 and LabPro obsolete -- that's why I don't have (and won't have) a CE.

TI finally made a color calculator fast enough to process LabPro data, then killed compatibility. :(
  • Calculators owned: TI-73, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83, TI-83 Plus, TI-84 Plus, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89 Titanium

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I wish they kept the link port. It would have been handy for music too and backwards compatibility with the 82/83/83+/84+

Perhaps if people who need to use labpro sent TI requests for bringing back the link port they might eventually do it? If there is enough demand, then it's an educational feature request, so they would prioritize it more than a feature used mostly in games.

CVSoft

I talked with Vernier about the subject in passing, and they told me the LabPro has been a legacy product for some time (2011?) as they move towards LabQuest and smartphone-based data collection. LabPro was developed back in like 1999, when laptops and PalmOS handhelds (what eventually became smartphones) were too expensive and/or fragile for student field work. It was economically feasible to use calculators as a platform for data display for both Vernier and schools, but the increasing demands of data processing and reduced cost of high-performance ARM or x86 devices has made other platforms, like LabQuest 2 and the Graphical Analysis app, has moved the LabPro out of center stage. For developers, however, the extensive LabPro documentation and high I/O port count (4 analog, 2 digital, 1 analog output; unmatched by any current Vernier interface) makes it the most versatile interface.

As the CBL 2 is made by TI and not Vernier, it is still considered current. Unfortunately, there won't be any OS updates as Vernier manages the OS.
  • Calculators owned: TI-73, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83, TI-83 Plus, TI-84 Plus, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89 Titanium

Dream of Omnimaga

Aw, sorry to hear, especially the smartphone bit. I guess that's inevitable that one day everything will be done with smartphones and tablets.

Lionel Debroux

Dudeman313: lack of FlashApps is an important cultural change in the TI-(e)Z80 scene, but ASM programs have always been the norm for the TI-68k/AMS series since native code programming started on these platforms in the second half of the 1990s. There used to be an official SDK for making FlashApps, but the toolchain was so crappy that few people bothered with it, focusing on the superior toolchain in GCC4TI's better-known but dead ancestor.
All TI-68k "kernels" (= TI-Z80 "shells"; both names are inappropriate), and nearly everything else made of native code, are ASM programs. The features of Cesium's program loader are directly derived from those of PreOS for the TI-68k/AMS series.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Dream of Omnimaga

I think the reason why Flash apps were so popular on Z80 calculators is because the 83+/84+ only have 24 KB of user RAM, while most 68K calcs have 188 KB. Flash APPs remained in archive and thus, could be larger than 24 KB. Also, unlike on 68K calculators, the 83+/84+ cannot run programs directly from archive memory by default, which made apps pretty convenient. Running archived programs support is now provided by various shells, but on the CE a part of the shell executable has to remain in RAM in order to be ran.

Basically, we're back into the Ion/Venus era, but without the RAM limitations we had back then (and the 8 KB executable code limit we were stuck with until someone broke it)

Lionel Debroux

QuoteAlso, unlike on 68K calculators, the 83+/84+ cannot run programs directly from archive memory by default, which made apps pretty convenient. Running archived programs support is now provided by various shells, but on the CE a part of the shell executable has to remain in RAM in order to be ran.
Technically, on the TI-68k/AMS platform, archived ASM programs do not run directly from archive memory either :)
The difference with the TI-Z80 OS is that the TI-68k OS automatically creates a so-called "twin symbol" in the VAT, copies the ASM program's content to RAM, executes it from RAM, and when the ASM program exits, destroys the twin symbol and associated memory for the binary.
AMS does not provide writeback support, and forbids direct execution in the archive portion of the Flash memory. tiosmod+amspatch lifts all execution restrictions, including that one, because it can; however, almost no existing nontrivial ASM programs could run directly from Flash anyway, due to fused data (and sometimes BSS) segment, and SMC.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah right. It's still a nice feature that I wish was available on Z80/ez80 models by default, though. After all, the TI-84+CE came out 8 years after the TI-Nspire Clickpad. (although I am glad that the 84+CE doesn't copy its entire OS into RAM on every reboot >.<)

Adriweb

Critor will probably explain it here better/in more details soon, but in the meantime, here are a few words about something cool :)

It turns out a TI-Planet member saw that a few days ago "randomly" : for some reason Get() and Send() appear at the top of the 83PCE catalog. Those were not present in previous versions :)
Anyway, the CE online help mentioned this :P I asked the eGuide team about it a while ago but they didn't reply... No need anymore I guess.

And on a [probably very] related note, critor got a standard USB keyboard working with the CE:

(more info here: https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17885)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua