Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

AVG USERS ALERT: AVG can, and will, send your browsing history to 3rd-parties.

Started by aetios, September 17, 2015, 12:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aetios

ceci n'est pas une signature

novenary

aetios

ceci n'est pas une signature

novenary

Yeah I know that. I use the antivirus that ships with windows now. When I actually use windows that is. :P Used to use avast but it's also pretty crappy, also anitviruses are resource hogs. If you're careful you don't need one to run all the time.

Dream of Omnimaga

It depends. There are still rare cases where it's possible to get adware just from browsing an otherwise safe site that just got defaced by hackers. I once got infected just by visiting the old CalcHaven forums, because of a nasty Webring script that placed random "mouse-click" pop-ups on the page and one was infected.

Anyway, Avast sometimes does the job, but it's a resource hog on older computers and when you install the Free version, make sure that all extras are unchecked, otherwise it installs full of junk on your computer, such as browser toolbars.

Some people I know swear by MalwareBytes, which seemed more effective, but is it really true?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

I use the free version of malware bytes and it finds more stuff than microsoft's standard anti virus.
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

It's what my bro uses actually. I didn't know about it until now. So far it seems to do the job better, but as always, you guys should be careful about what you do on the Internet. When a virus is brand new or was created just yesterday, it's definitively not gonna be detected.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Well, usually I use Avast!, but I don't use Windows much anymore.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 24, 2015, 03:10:59 AM
When a virus is brand new or was created just yesterday, it's definitively not gonna be detected.
Depends, antiviruses have heuristics for detecting unknown viruses. Dunno how well they work, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 17, 2015, 03:50:52 PM
It depends. There are still rare cases where it's possible to get adware just from browsing an otherwise safe site that just got defaced by hackers. I once got infected just by visiting the old CalcHaven forums, because of a nasty Webring script that placed random "mouse-click" pop-ups on the page and one was infected.
That's the problem with modern web. Websites abuse javascript so much that it pretty much forces you to keep a huge security breach open (code execution on your own machine !) and exposes you to all kinds of attacks, otherwise 99% of the web is broken.

Dream of Omnimaga

Even SMF uses some JS I think. IIRC the site would still work with it disabled, but mods might not, especially WalrusIRC. >.<

novenary

A few things don't work on cw with js off like wirc and spoiler tags but otherwise it's just fine.