Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Newbie Scrub Fails at Linux

Started by Dudeman313, November 05, 2016, 07:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

I somehow managed to erase my home directory in elementaryOS. Now I can't login. I do have a backup for it, but I am unable to place it where it's needed because "Permission denied." Apparently, I don't have permission to do anything, even tho I have the only account(which is marked as Administrator) on the Linux half of my laptop. How do I restore the backup if I can't login?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Yuki

If you're a master of Linux command line, you can boot in Recovery Mode, login as root and restore your stuff.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

kotu

* kotu realises that juju is evil
"If you're a master of Linux command line,"
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dudeman313

Well, as the title says, I'm kind of not...
The answer is "Sure."

Yuki

Ummm, type "startx" after you logged in in recovery mode? If it works, that is.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dudeman313

I didn't know the command to use.
But I'll try Juju's suggestion.

EDIT: I can access the recovery mode, but I have no idea what to do when I get there.
The answer is "Sure."

gameblabla

How you managed to delete your home folder ?
Unless you were root or Elementary OS is really bad, i don't know.
In any case, if you have access to a terminal (try Ctrl+Alt+F6 during the login screen) or the recovery mode with a shell mode,
you could try to create a new user :
adduser yourusernamehere
Then log in with your new username and delete your old broken username.

Alternatively, you could just remove your linux partition with the usb installer
and reinstall Elementary OS.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dudeman313

Quote from: gameblabla on November 05, 2016, 10:41:37 PM
How you managed to delete your home folder ?
Unless you were root or Elementary OS is really bad, i don't know.
In any case, if you have access to a terminal (try Ctrl+Alt+F6 during the login screen) or the recovery mode with a shell mode,
you could try to create a new user :
adduser yourusernamehere
Then log in with your new username and delete your old broken username.

Alternatively, you could just remove your linux partition with the usb installer
and reinstall Elementary OS.
I was doing something in the terminal, and in all my n00bliness, it somehow got deleted. When I saw this, I attempted to create a new folder, but it said permission denied.

Also, I've been using ElementaryOS long enough to place some files I don't want to lose, so...

I am able to get to the root shell, but "startx" failed because of an authorization error. I'll try that.
I just wish I could open the file explorer with root permission, or have full control like I do with Windows 10. It makes no sense that I'm unauthorized to do certain tasks if there's no one else who is.

The answer is "Sure."

Unicorn

QuoteI just wish I could open the file explorer with root permission, or have full control like I do with Windows 10. It makes no sense that I'm unauthorized to do certain tasks if there's no one else who is.
Depending on your OS's file browser, you should be able to right click and select "open as root" (or something along those lines), type in your password and be all set. And yeah, if you have problems in Terminal with permissions, just put "sudo" in front of it.

If you can't get back in, just boot from a usb OS and open up your HDD in the file explorer and find your files. Though if you deleted your home directory they probably aren't there....
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dudeman313

I did the usb thing and it worked. Thanks. I already had a backup of the home folder made somehow the same time it was deleted.

EDIT: Nope, I lied. It totally failed. Guess i'll just have to reinstall everything.
The answer is "Sure."