Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

OS 5.2 released for the TI-84 Plus CE and the TI-83 Premium CE

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, August 31, 2016, 05:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Texas Instruments have finally released the new TI-84 Plus CE and TI-83 Premium CE OS, version 5.2, on their website. This new OS brings several major improvements to those two color ez80 calculator models, including what might be one of the largest TI-BASIC enhancements ever since 2010:

-Sending strings to the TI-Innovator via the Send() and Get() commands
-Many more TI-Innovator-related commands
-expr(): You can now solve math calculations that are stored in a string.
-eval(): Converts a calculation result into a string. @grosged 's sprite v3.3 library users might find this very handy.
-toString(): Same as above, but also handles the format in which the result was returned
-Wait: Pauses program execution for a specific amount of time. No more need for For(Z,0,999:End
-Pause command now has Wait abilities if you use the command to display text and specify an amount of time at the end.

However, that's not all, because if you program TI-BASIC directly on the calculator, the on-calc editor now shows the program line number inside the status bar! Some commands previously available exclusively in the CATALOG are now available via the PRGM key as well.

There are many more improvements, such as the ALPHA shortcuts on the TI-84 Plus CE, bringing this calculator closer to its French counterpart, and the release of a new application called Hub, which adds extra menus to the PRGM key during editing. Remember that for all commands, pressing the + key next to the name will bring up help on how to use it, with the syntax and required arguments.

And finally, new versions of Vernier EasyData, SmartPad, TI-SmartView CE and TI-Connect CE were released.

-TI-Connect CE 5.2: Windows and Mac
-OS 5.2: TI-84 Plus CE and TI-83 Premium CE
-Flash APPS: Vernier EasyData, SmartPad CE and Hub

News and images source, with more info in French: https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18957
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

wow! That is a ton of improvements! I wonder how much the innovator will be...

Also, how does Hub work? It's not on Ti's website?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I wonder about the price as well. I'm probably not getting it unless it's really really popular, though. As for Hub I am not sure why it's not on TI website.

What I am even more curious about, though, is if this OS breaks compatibility with current ASM/C games and libraries. I will have to try my CE games to check if they still run fine.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Maybe the TI-Innovator is getting released in France first?

@critor or @Adriweb

Why is Hub hosted on ti planet only?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

I have just tried GalagACE, First Fantasy, Wal-Rush! CE, Desert Bus II and Calcuzap and all of them works without any problem.

critor

Quote from: Unicorn on August 31, 2016, 06:13:18 AMWhy is Hub hosted on ti planet only?
It cannot be directly downloaded from TI web site, but they did still release it another way.

It comes preloaded in the new TI-SmartView CE 5.2 ROM :

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see now. It's weird that they chose to release it as part of Smartview and not standalone. Maybe they were planning to release it much later? Either way, we can already download it now :), so thanks Critor.

Also I am not sure if I will get the TI-Innovator thing, since my budget for gadgets is more limited nowadays.

Adriweb

Yeah maybe they simply forgot, and will make it be a direct download when the Innovator is actually available.

Anyway, it's launched first in the US, then Europe at some point later.
It seems it's already available through some deals, for instance https://www.bachcompany.com/product.aspx?ProductID=594 , for around $60.

As said, you can also simply buy a TI-Launchpad MSP-EXP432P401R from TI's website directly https://store.ti.com/msp-exp432p401r.aspx , since it's the same board that powers the Innovator, and it will be $13.
However, there won't be as many sensors, same I/O to calc, etc. But still, the base functionalities will work just as well (once you flash the Innovator firmware on it)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

critor

Quote from: Adriweb on August 31, 2016, 05:08:46 PMAs said, you can also simply buy a TI-Launchpad MSP-EXP432P401R from TI's website directly https://store.ti.com/msp-exp432p401r.aspx , since it's the same board that powers the Innovator, and it will be $13.
However, there won't be as many sensors, same I/O to calc, etc. But still, the base functionalities will work just as well (once you flash the Innovator firmware on it)
For information, the TI-Innovator firmware flashable on TI-Launchpad MSP-EXP432P401R boards, is available publicly : :)
https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18947&p=206650#p206650

You need to flash it to have the board properly react to the new TI-Innovator Basic string-commands.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Adriweb on August 31, 2016, 05:08:46 PM
Yeah maybe they simply forgot, and will make it be a direct download when the Innovator is actually available.

Anyway, it's launched first in the US, then Europe at some point later.
It seems it's already available through some deals, for instance https://www.bachcompany.com/product.aspx?ProductID=594 , for around $60.

As said, you can also simply buy a TI-Launchpad MSP-EXP432P401R from TI's website directly https://store.ti.com/msp-exp432p401r.aspx , since it's the same board that powers the Innovator, and it will be $13.
$60 isn't too bad if it's the retail price and not a 90% off rebate or something. Thanks for the TI-Launchpad MSP-EXP432P401R info, though. Will every BASIC command work with it?
Quote from: critor on August 31, 2016, 05:19:36 PM
Quote from: Adriweb on August 31, 2016, 05:08:46 PMAs said, you can also simply buy a TI-Launchpad MSP-EXP432P401R from TI's website directly https://store.ti.com/msp-exp432p401r.aspx , since it's the same board that powers the Innovator, and it will be $13.
For information, the TI-Innovator firmware flashable on TI-Launchpad MSP-EXP432P401R boards, is available publicly : :)
https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18947&p=206650#p206650

You need to flash it to have the board properly react to the new TI-Innovator Basic string-commands.
Thanks for the link. :)

Adriweb

All the commands will work, but if you try to address some inexistant device on the board, it won't do much :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok thanks for the info. I am personally more interested into TI-84+CE<>TI-Innovator communications. Another thing is I hope Send()/Get() commands work while the calculator busy indicator is active, unlike the GetCalc() command on older models, which required the sending calculator to be paused or inactive.

critor

No need to pause the calculator to send. :)
Check on the video :

Source and infos on the program : https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18944&p=206629#p206629

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm happy about that :D. The fact GetCalc() required paused/stopped mode prevented any decent multiplayer BASIC game from being made, same for programs with custom menus.

MateoConLechuga

It's always been this way for Get( and Send(.

Fun fact: You can use Get( between calcs too. No need for GetCalc(

Just thought that might be helpful in case you weren't aware ;)