Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

3DNes Beta - Play your NES games with 3D graphics!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, March 09, 2016, 11:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I just found this in a Facebook group: 3DNes Beta, a new NES emulator. But it has a twist: When you load a ROM, the game graphics will show in 3D and in some cases it's very cool. :D

http://tructv.bitbucket.org/3dnes/

The only problem is that it's only playable in Firefox and you cannot load a ROM from your computer. You have to (temporarily) host it on Dropbox or another cloud file storage service, then provide the URL to the emulator. It's also in beta and some games will most likely look very weird or glitched. But it's still worth a try since it gives a new experience from playing your favorite classics.  I wonder if most 3D stuff like pipes are hard-coded or detected automatically...

If you try it, you should post screenshots of what your favorite games look like :)

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

whoa thats cool :D
How did they make the 3D effects? i assume they would have needed to patch roms themselves?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Yuki

Yeah, I saw that this morning. Apparently, everything is generated automatically, there's no manual stuff.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm particularly curious about how they detect Mario pipes and draw them in cylinder form.

Also, 3D Worldrunner and Rad Racer must look weird as hell in this emulator.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Araidia

That looks really cool!
Do you know if you can adjust the way your viewing it like in the second video, or is it just a demonstration?
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

If you mean how some graphics sometimes pops out or in, then that's most likely glitchyness. You can change the render quality in the settings, though. But if you mean the camera angle, then yes you can change it at will.

On a side note, anybody knows how to generate the dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/ version of a Dropbox URL? Because I think the emulator only works with that version, not the www.dropbox.com/gibberisheiwiwide format, and when I go to my Dropbox profile, the Share option only gives me the latter URL format.

Also the emulator has issues handling slopes (eg in World 1-2 of Super Mario 3). I really wonder how well it handles parallax scrolling in Battletoads.

aetios

That's really cool, definitely need to try that one time :D
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

There's a video showing new features in the 3D Nes emulator:

calcplays

This is pretty amazing yet also somewhat unsettling. Mario's face...
For those wanting to use actual hardware, a aluminum NES can be yours for $500.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/analogue-nt-a-museum-grade-nes-for-a-museum-grade-price/

AmazoNKA

mindblowing in deed, 3d from 2d roms, they shall do something similar for 3ds to have old nes roms have new life in 3ds' 3d...

Dream of Omnimaga

I think it needs some perfecting, though. Of course it would be impossible to do it without presets for each game, though, but I think some stuff like the backgrounds/foregrounds randomly changing positions could be fixed. Nonetheless this is still cool and Contra looks amazing.