Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

WalrusIRC - An OmnomIRC rewrite

Started by Yuki, January 16, 2015, 08:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

novenary

For me too, using Firefox on Linux and Android. The changes I made should not be browser dependent though. I haven't seen that but you mentioned in quite a while.

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm actually, now that I look again, it seems that it still doesn't scroll completely, but the only time it happens is when posting images or smileys. I guess it cannot detect if an image is larger than the normal line of text. Also it happens when a line of text wraps on two lines. Personally, I don't think that's a big issue, except maybe when you discuss with someone, sometimes you might miss the last line until the next reply. I definitively love WalrusIRC more than Omnom now. The main issue I got with Omnom right now is that zooming on Android and sliding doesn't work when you try to zoom from the chat, so if you zoomed in way too much and the chat covers the entire screen, then you can no longer dezoom nor scroll the page (except the chat itself).

It would also be nice if Omnom had better compatibility and didn't break with no way to fix it >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Well, the image thing I already explained and fixed. It doesn't work with smileys indeed (might take a look later) but there's absolutely no reason why it should be broken with wrapped text (unless there's a :walrii: in there).

As for the omnom issues it's because Sorunome is so stubborn about his custom scrolling code (he's completely reinventing the wheel) while we just have a regular scrollable view which is much easier to handle.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh Ok I actually only checked with smileys :P (but I also posted an image around that time, so maybe I didn't check well enough). As for Omnom, scrolling actually used to be worse, though. Until recently, we couldn't even scroll at all on Chrome mobile.  I think using standard scrolling (while making sure it won't auto-scroll when reading logs and actually scrolls when appropriate) is better.

By the way, do you know why text now looks slightly different in shoutbox view than full screen and forum posts?

That's in Opera 29 btw.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Scrolling used to not work at all on any touchscreen browser (unless you used the arrows). I guess it also helps that we have a responsive theme on the forum, makes scrolling past wirc a breeze.

As for the full view text, I have no idea. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually, even the arrows didn't work IIRC (nor the scrollbar). The arrows actually did scroll, but only if you zoomed in until one arrow fills the screen and then it would not ever stop scrolling again even after releasing the arrow.

As for responsive themes, the only problem is that WalrusIRC text is now much bigger. Every line of text used to fit in one line until the theme was made responsive. I wish on mobile we had more CSS control about text (and image) size.

For the weird text, I actually had this happen before but only when editing the theme CSS in the SMF CSS editor.

novenary

The text is the right size on mobile. Any smaller and it would be unreadable.

Dream of Omnimaga

Strange, I actually had no issues reading it before. :P But again it might just be bigger than on your phone right now since I don't use CM nor a custom ROM (meaning that I have fewer text resizing options).

novenary

Well I made things quite small on my phone but not to the point that it's unreadable.

Yuki

Introducing Tooltips Beta! Hover on a link to a picture to preview it! Also works with Youtube videos! (For YouTube, click away or click the close button to close them.)

As I say, the feature is in beta, so please tell what you think.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Would it be possible to make WalrusIRC text area so that it doesn't get grayed out when WalrusIRC gets disconnected? It's incredibly annoying when you're typing text, because you lose focus every 15 second. Maybe make it so you can still type text, but it won't send until reconnected.

This was implemented very recently, because that didn't happen before, but I am not sure if that feature was a good idea.

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 11, 2015, 12:13:18 AM
This was implemented very recently
Sometime in late January, according to my logs. That feature was part of the Valentine's Day mega-update. xD
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Strange, I only started having it happen recently ???

Unicorn

You must've been disconnecting a lot recently.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???