Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

New member introductions: Say hello here!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 20, 2014, 02:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWinslow23

Quote from: kegwaan on December 13, 2015, 08:32:20 PM
Hello, I'm kegwaan. I'm in the eighth grade (too young?), I enjoy video games and a few TV/movie series. I'm in the school band, I'm a percussionist and I play the drumset in our jazz band. I'm taking German at school, but mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut. I'm pretty fluent in TI-BASIC (I've been programming since last December), but I'd like to learn to use the xLib and xLibC libraries. I'd also like to learn z80 assembly, Java, C++, etc. I hope to someday become well known in the calculator programming community, like KermMartian or some of the others. That pretty much covers it. And I'm pretty bad at using forums, so you might occasionally see me post something where it doesn't belong.
I started calculator programming in the seventh grade, you're not too young ;)

Welcome to the CodeWalrus forums, kegwaan! You can post here about anything you're working on, or anything you need help with, or any music and artwork you made, or a YouTube video you find interesting, or simply...anything. The hard part is knowing where that discussion goes :P

What are some programs you have made? Also, have you considered learning Axe?

Araidia

Hello, I'm kegwaan. I'm in the eighth grade (too young?), I enjoy video games and a few TV/movie series. I'm in the school band, I'm a percussionist and I play the drumset in our jazz band. I'm taking German at school, but mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut. I'm pretty fluent in TI-BASIC (I've been programming since last December), but I'd like to learn to use the xLib and xLibC libraries. I'd also like to learn z80 assembly, Java, C++, etc. I hope to someday become well known in the calculator programming community, like KermMartian or some of the others. That pretty much covers it. And I'm pretty bad at using forums, so you might occasionally see me post something where it doesn't belong.
I'm a percussionist too! But I'm too lazy to learn the drumset :P
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

alexgt

Heya and welcome to the forums, and no you aren't too young (I joined in 8th grade :P) and I started with basic too ;)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

kegwaan

Quote from: JWinslow23 on December 13, 2015, 08:43:08 PM

Welcome to the CodeWalrus forums, kegwaan! You can post here about anything you're working on, or anything you need help with, or any music and artwork you made, or a YouTube video you find interesting, or simply...anything. The hard part is knowing where that discussion goes :P

I haven't made very many programs. One time I tried making a Fallout game for the TI-84, but it got lost in a ram clear. I've heard about Axe and thought about it, but I remember reading somewhere that it's easier to use when you know z80 assembly, so I was just holding off until I got around to learning both.

Quote from: Araidia on December 13, 2015, 08:50:15 PM
I'm a percussionist too! But I'm too lazy to learn the drumset :P

Drumset is kind of easy, but last year and the year before I never really got used to the instruments being heard, so I'm kind of afraid when I play that I'm playing too loud. I don't do too much snare in concert band, I mainly play xylo/marimba.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ CSE
"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

JWinslow23

Quote from: kegwaan on December 14, 2015, 01:38:39 AM

I haven't made very many programs. One time I tried making a Fallout game for the TI-84, but it got lost in a ram clear. I've heard about Axe and thought about it, but I remember reading somewhere that it's easier to use when you know z80 assembly, so I was just holding off until I got around to learning both.
Fallout? For TI-84+? In TI-BASIC (I assume)? Ambitious for a member I've only just heard about :P If you decide to revive the project, do you think you could post it on the forums?

It definitely does not require learning z80 assembly to understand, though (I mean, it's the only other calc language I use :P ). The syntax is best described as BASIC-like Asm...ish. It's certainly easier, but not necessary at all. To each his own, though.

kegwaan

Quote from: JWinslow23 on December 14, 2015, 01:49:52 AM
Quote from: kegwaan on December 14, 2015, 01:38:39 AM

Fallout? For TI-84+? In TI-BASIC (I assume)? Ambitious for a member I've only just heard about :P If you decide to revive the project, do you think you could post it on the forums?

It definitely does not require learning z80 assembly to understand, though (I mean, it's the only other calc language I use :P ). The syntax is best described as BASIC-like Asm...ish. It's certainly easier, but not necessary at all. To each his own, though.

Yeah, it was going to be mostly test based and similar to the Skyrim TI-84+ game. I might try to revive the project, I go to the district high school in the morning before I go back to the middle school so I have three study halls and a lot of free time.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ CSE
"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually Axe learning without knowing assembly is not that hard, but it takes longer to get used to what a pointer actually is. Regardless of the language, it's best to start small when you are new, though, since large projects can overwhelm your programming experience, especially at first. The trick is to start making your games as if they were gonna be demos, so that they're easier-to-manage projects, then once you are comfortable with what you have, expand.

I started calculator programming several years ago and my first few RPG projects only had about 2-4 dungeons or very short dungeons.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Starbuck Johnson

Hey I don't normally spring for the whole introduce yourself to the forum thing. But i figured hey why not?

I'm a student studying computer engineering and experimenting with reverse engineering as a hobby. My primary calculator is the HP-50g, which is powerful, extendable and too open to be worth writing software for :) So I've come to discover the secrets of ndless and maybe post some updates about my project to document the entire TI84+ os.
  • Calculators owned: HP50g,TI83+

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya and welcome to the forums. Keep us posted about your projects. I also hope that you enjoy your stay :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

princetonlion.tibd

• Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84 + CSE, Voyager 200, TI-Nspire
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)

Max Leiter

@Starbuck Johnson welcome! Looking forward to your docs on TI-OS (or is it on the physical TI-84?)

alexgt

@Starbuck Johnson welcome to the fourms and enjoy your stay in the walopolis ;)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Starbuck Johnson

Quote from: Max Leiter on December 26, 2015, 10:05:52 PM
@Starbuck Johnson welcome! Looking forward to your docs on TI-OS (or is it on the physical TI-84?)
I don't actually have a TI-84 (only the silly TI-83+) so it's purely the OS unless I get some hardware.
  • Calculators owned: HP50g,TI83+

Dream of Omnimaga