Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What headphones/earphones do you own?

Started by Araidia, December 16, 2015, 04:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travis

Yeah, the Sennheiser headphones I bought have a removable cord, and I thought that was really nice. They came with an extra cord which is really long but would double as a replacement if I have any problems like I did with *cough*Bose*cough* headphones I had before which had rubbish design and were guaranteed to fail at the plug after a few months.

But it's been a few years, and I still haven't had any problems with the first cord yet.  :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g
ticalc.org staff member—http://www.ticalc.org/

Flippanteer

Many good headphone companies also  provide a long cord for people who use amps. Often times amps may be situated far away from users, especially those who enjoy listening to music and nothing else, sitting back and relaxing perhaps not directly by their amp location. Hence some come with 3 meter wires and a 1.2 meter wire.

Edit:
The first attached photo demonstrates the two cord lengths that many offer with the black one being 3m and the orange being 1.2m (usually the long one terminates in a 1/4 inch jack for amps as well), while the second one demonstrates the different quality of wires that some may offer, this one being a nice woven wire (also included a 1/4 inch jack adapter as they only offered one 3m wire with a clip to fold the wire). Both are removable from the headphone, although the first two can lock while the second does not.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-84+, TI-86, TI-NSpire CX CAS, TI-1706III, TI-30XIIS, TI-30XS Multiview, TI-36X Solar

Dream of Omnimaga

That is nice. Also can the cord choice hinder sound quality? For example, if you buy a $2 extension at Radio Shack, will quality be crap?

Also, these things:

https://www.dollartree.com/assets/product_images/styles/large/656041.jpg

They are sold since the late 80's and they still do the job for those who don't care about sound quality. :P They're comfortable as hell too, but the sound volume is low and the cord is short.

However, the following type of headphones come directly from hell and they were common half a decade ago:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images500x500/H2O_Audio_E1_5A1_iHR_Sweatproof_Behind_the_Neck_Sport_529859.jpg

If you want neck pain, an headache, ear pain and pain on each side of your head, then headphonees that look like this and circles the back of the neck is the satanic choice. They also have the hidden feature of destroying your glasses.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Flippanteer

Nah cords rarely ever affect sound quality unless somehow the inside wire is just that bad ???

However, some cords may have microphonics, which is basically the sound of the wire moving while your wearing your headphones and bumping into the wire. Usually not that big of an issue though, unless you really dislike it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-84+, TI-86, TI-NSpire CX CAS, TI-1706III, TI-30XIIS, TI-30XS Multiview, TI-36X Solar

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok thanks for the info. I was wondering because of all that BS they say about HD cables and how gold cables are better than silver ones or vice-versa.
Quote from: Flippanteer on April 29, 2016, 10:06:24 PM
However, some cords may have microphonics, which is basically the sound of the wire moving while your wearing your headphones and bumping into the wire. Usually not that big of an issue though, unless you really dislike it.
Wait, could this be why I hear the wire bumping on my chair or desk when I use my Sony headphones?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Hooloowalrus

• Calculators owned: TI-83, TI-83+ purple, TI-83+SE, TI-83+.fr USB, TI-84+ SE, TI-84 pocket.fr, Commodore PR-100, 4xTI-73, a couple TI-82s, TI-XXXXXXXXXXX, [blank] (nspire prototype), Nspire CAS+, Nspire Clickpad non-CAS, Nspire CX, HP Prime (lost in space), HP 50G, TI-92+

Flippanteer

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 30, 2016, 01:31:10 AM
Wait, could this be why I hear the wire bumping on my chair or desk when I use my Sony headphones?

That's exactly it!

@Hooloowalrus
Wow those are headphones from the '70s?!
They look pretty sweet for that age!
How do they hold up? (that earpad makes me think it's on-ear headphone? Sure wouldn't go around one's ear  :P)

Ivoah

I just have a pair of Beats 2 Solo headphones that came with my MacBook Pro. They sound good enough for me, but are painful to wear for extended periods of time. The headband part presses against my skull and is quite painful :(
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Hooloowalrus

Quote from: Flippanteer on April 30, 2016, 02:09:02 AM
@Hooloowalrus
Wow those are headphones from the '70s?!
They look pretty sweet for that age!
How do they hold up? (that earpad makes me think it's on-ear headphone? Sure wouldn't go around one's ear  :P)
They're pretty great, I found them in the back of a local store, new in box. The box says copyright 1977.
I had to replace the foam in the earpads because, well, they're almost 40 years old. They are on-ear.
The clip things that hold the actual earpieces to the metal bits are starting to fall apart. Since taking that picture, I have 3D printed a couple replacements out of ABS, that look prety much the same, and are hopefully more durable.

Edit: fix quote
  • Calculators owned: TI-83, TI-83+ purple, TI-83+SE, TI-83+.fr USB, TI-84+ SE, TI-84 pocket.fr, Commodore PR-100, 4xTI-73, a couple TI-82s, TI-XXXXXXXXXXX, [blank] (nspire prototype), Nspire CAS+, Nspire Clickpad non-CAS, Nspire CX, HP Prime (lost in space), HP 50G, TI-92+

allynfolksjr

Flippanteer, what kind of DAC do you use?

Dream of Omnimaga

Woah Hooloowalrus that's some old stuff you got there. I am really curious about if they sound good?

Flippanteer

Quote from: allynfolksjr on April 30, 2016, 02:37:18 AM
Flippanteer, what kind of DAC do you use?
So far just onboard DAC  :'(
Saving up to get the modi 2 to complete the schiit stack. Already have the Magni 2

Hooloowalrus

They sound really good. I use a SoundBlaster 100 on one of my servers for a DAC, and they sound good. I use a Modular Component Systems 3200 Amp with that. and I think it sounds good.

Dream of Omnimaga

Right now, I only use Realtek High Definition Audio that came with my computer. I wonder if that can make a significant difference in what audio quality I can get with expensive headphones compared to newer or higher-end sound cards?

Flippanteer

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 02, 2016, 11:54:28 PM
Right now, I only use Realtek High Definition Audio that came with my computer. I wonder if that can make a significant difference in what audio quality I can get with expensive headphones compared to newer or higher-end sound cards?

Nah not really. The sound is heavily dependent on your installed soundcard. So while Realtek can run those soundcards and you can switch the output quality, the quality options are limited by your soundcard.

Edit: I think it also has some distorting power, like making it sound somewhat like surround sound. Not exactly sure how audio drivers work.

On another note, my possibly near endgame headphones, just got them today!