Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Programming language support

Started by DarkestEx, November 04, 2015, 02:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What languages should the microcat be programmed in?

C only
C and Basic (some easy dialekt - ZX spectrum like Basic maybe)
C and the best of Lua and Basic (fewer features but runs faster, allows for large and more optimized games)

DarkestEx

Quote from: bb010g on November 06, 2015, 02:13:14 AM
If you want a nice, small, efficient language that can dance with the bare metal and be pleasant to program, Forth is your language. Your bootloader may very well be programmed in a variant of Forth.

Even if you don't end up picking Forth for the Microcat, read this.
Even though I will not put Forth on it, I will certainly read this document :)
I started already.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 06, 2015, 06:40:24 AM
Maybe Cumred's language for the 84+CE could be based on this once this is finished?

Also I am fine with no Then instruction, as long as we have Else and End. Otherwise, we end up with a big mess of spaghetti code like on the TI-81 (If blocks could only contain 1 line of code unless you just called a sub-program) >.<
Yea, also I never understood what then and do was meant for. They just complicate things for me.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Then is for when you want to specify when an If condition launches more than 1 line of code or not. In TI-BASIC using no Then nor End will only execute the next line of code if it's true rather than an entire block. This can be handy to save space.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 07, 2015, 07:18:14 AM
Then is for when you want to specify when an If condition launches more than 1 line of code or not. In TI-BASIC using no Then nor End will only execute the next line of code if it's true rather than an entire block. This can be handy to save space.
OK well we will leave of out. Single line statements are still possible.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

bb010g

Question: How long until you can actually test some code on the Microcat? Do you have any test programs in C right now? Can they run?
  • Calculators owned: HP 50g, Prime, 28S, 35S, Casio Prizm, dead Nspire CX CAS

DarkestEx

Quote from: bb010g on November 09, 2015, 02:23:42 AM
Question: How long until you can actually test some code on the Microcat? Do you have any test programs in C right now? Can they run?
Well do you mean on the actual device or do you mean the reasonably close prototype?
I am not sure what you mean with test programs in C. If you mean whether C (firmware - not games yet) are running on the close prototype, then yes it does.

Also regarding the results of the latest poll, it looks like the microcat will run Claw (the language Cumred and I are developing) and C (from RAM).

semiprocoder

When will you release the sdk for claw or c for the microcat?
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: DarkestEx on November 09, 2015, 03:10:32 PM
Well do you mean on the actual device or do you mean the reasonably close prototype?
I am not sure what you mean with test programs in C. If you mean whether C (firmware - not games yet) are running on the close prototype, then yes it does.

Also regarding the results of the latest poll, it looks like the microcat will run Claw (the language Cumred and I are developing) and C (from RAM).
Wait, do you mean the language he talked to me about? Because that could be handy in the future for porting games.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 10, 2015, 06:12:52 AM
Quote from: DarkestEx on November 09, 2015, 03:10:32 PM

Wait, do you mean the language he talked to me about? Because that could be handy in the future for porting games.
What do you exactly mean?

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm talking about Claw. @Cumred_Snektron  might know what I mean and could clarify on the matter, though.

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

DarkestEx

Quote from: semiprocoder on November 10, 2015, 04:38:48 AM
When will you release the sdk for claw or c for the microcat?
Sure I will do that too.

novenary

To answer the "when", the actual hardware needs to be released first, otherwise it's pretty much useless.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on November 10, 2015, 05:32:02 PM
No, this is a different language :P
Oh I see. I thought it was the calc/PC one. That would have made it easier to port games.

p4nix

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 10, 2015, 07:08:41 PM
To answer the "when", the actual hardware needs to be released first, otherwise it's pretty much useless.
Unless you have an emulator - the microcat needs premade games, tutorials and demos I guess.
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

novenary

That's true, didn't think of that, but I think the demos are going to be made by the team.