Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Crazy Crap that is loosely related to you

Started by alexgt, November 04, 2015, 03:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexgt

Yesterday this happened to a school I attended 2 years ago, the car smashed right into my home room O.O. It is very humbling to think "I could have been in there." (it happened early in the morning so no students were there though)

Also read the comments, very morbid people O.O
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow that's insane man. I'm glad no one was hurt, it could have been very bad. I wonder what happened....

Last year this also happened on my appartment building, but the first part closer to the street, not the second one I'm in. I heard a loud bang like if it was an exploision far away and then the next morning this is what I saw: http://www.zone911.com/actualites/accidents/item/18436-levis-un-vehicule-percute-de-plein-fouet-un-immeuble

I don't remember if there was damage to the first floor but I bet the impact must have been enough to make stuff fall.

Anyway sometimes it's scary to think it could have been you or us.

Also someone at work got his car stolen last Friday night and I once heard that a lady was mugged in the parking a few years ago. Some crazy c happens sometimes.

Not to mention the girl that got sexually assaulted a few years ago in the park nearby. I have never went into that park past 11 PM ever since (not that it's allowed anyway, because it says no one is allowed in from 11 PM to 7 AM).

I hope that everyone here remains safe. (Also be responsible when driving if you ever do)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Yeah no kidding, and my old teacher Mrs. Crary had all her books in the back of the room where the Jeep hit, that school doesn't have the best income so I hope it has insurance (text books are expensive O.O)

Yuki

Blimey, that's pretty insane.

Well, speaking of which, today wasn't quite a good day for me... First, today there was bomb scares everywhere in the province of Québec where I live, including in a college I attended about 3 years ago, which was promptly evacuated, along with other schools and colleges in the province. Well that's kind of unsettling, especially the fact every school in the province could be targeted. And the province is very big.

And then, earlier today, I just had some news about the neighbour I shared a wall with before I moved this summer in the capital city... Sentenced to 18 months of prison. That's also kind of unsettling. (Article is in French, you probably can run it in Google Translate I guess.) Reminds me of a similar thing that happened to one of my friends in Trois-Rivières, the infamous girl who stole a baby in a hospital back a while ago (and recently sentenced to prison IIRC) was his friend in high school and they almost fell in love together. Yeah, pretty weird.

Also, kind of off-topic, but, on top of all that, some singer my friends and I idolized while studying at this college I talked about 2 lines ago, Normand L'Amour, died today at the venerable age of 85. Sad.

So yeah, been kind of a weird day today.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

alexgt

Wow O.o bomb threats! I hope that there wan't anybody with a working IED O.O. And your old neighbor, that story is crazy and very sad :(.

Crazy Crap O.O

Unicorn

geez. Some things are scary. I remember that a few years ago some guy threatend a school or something, and all the schools in the50 mile radius went on lock down.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

Yeah there has been many lock downs at our school (we don't know if they are drills until they end tho <_<)

Ivoah

A car crashed into my dad's rental apartment and cracked the foundation. Thankfully nobody was hurt.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

alexgt

Did it go into the apartment at all?

Glad no one was hurt :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Juju on November 04, 2015, 04:03:46 AM
Blimey, that's pretty insane.

Well, speaking of which, today wasn't quite a good day for me... First, today there was bomb scares everywhere in the province of Québec where I live, including in a college I attended about 3 years ago, which was promptly evacuated, along with other schools and colleges in the province. Well that's kind of unsettling, especially the fact every school in the province could be targeted. And the province is very big.

And then, earlier today, I just had some news about the neighbour I shared a wall with before I moved this summer in the capital city... Sentenced to 18 months of prison. That's also kind of unsettling. (Article is in French, you probably can run it in Google Translate I guess.) Reminds me of a similar thing that happened to one of my friends in Trois-Rivières, the infamous girl who stole a baby in a hospital back a while ago (and recently sentenced to prison IIRC) was his friend in high school and they almost fell in love together. Yeah, pretty weird.

Also, kind of off-topic, but, on top of all that, some singer my friends and I idolized while studying at this college I talked about 2 lines ago, Normand L'Amour, died today at the venerable age of 85. Sad.

So yeah, been kind of a weird day today.
The stupid thing about that particular bomb alert is that it happened in the middle of teacher protests against government budget cuts, and since unions were involved, I assume that they were upset that their next salary increase would be lower. Seriously, a bomb threat in response to this? It could have been some random kid who did it, though, but what the f***?

That begs the question: If we get a bomb threat just because our next CBA is not as good as anticipated, imagine what will happen when worse stuff happens.

Also @Juju your old neighboorhood had quite a lot of violent crime compared to the rest of the city it seems, and the type of crimes varies from district to district. For example, the north-eastern part of my city was often referred to as the "Bronx", even though it was never close to as bad as New York's Bronx. Probably because at one point a few years ago there was a wave of murders and arson. The middle part of the city, south of the highway, also had a massive wave of attacks towards pizza delivery guys years ago and now the district next to Juju's former district often has people breaking into people's homes.  As for downtown, things are much better than a few years ago, although we still have all the weirdos including that one old man who always talks alone loudly when walking on the streets, plus car theft. Generally you are always safe, though, but when you are alone late at night in a rather empty place, it's always a good idea to check behind you sometimes.
Quote from: Ivoah on November 05, 2015, 02:24:11 AM
A car crashed into my dad's rental apartment and cracked the foundation. Thankfully nobody was hurt.
Ouch, I'm glad everyone is OK. Did he lose his appartment and stuff, though? It sucks when stuff like this or structural issues or fire forces people out of their home and they end up in the streets.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

brentmaas

There was a shooting which was linking to the underground <500m from my house. Has been a while ago, but still...
Lel I glitched Omni

Dream of Omnimaga

Ouch. Thankfully guns are rare here due to gun restrictions, but whoever wants to commit a crime or is scared of getting attacked will just buy them illegally.

Dream of Omnimaga

Bump: I found this topic again.

So this is not really something bad that happened near me, but they are still things that sometimes makes my neighborhood look what some people would call "ghetto" in the non-pejorative sense (as in, sketchy neighborhood): Last year there was a police car chase followed by a shooting on the main boulevard and the road was closed for 5 hours with 20+ police cars surrounding the area. There was also a bomb alert a few years before at the McDonald's there. Last Summer or fall there was also a bank robbery on the same street nearby and on the same afternoon, a shoplifter was caught red handed at the Sears store and ran away to my workplace, so police ran inside to catch him while telling the employees to block every exit. Not sure if the bank robbery and the shoplifting were related, but it was sure a wild afternoon.

And last fall I think, I saw a pedestrian carrying a boombox on his shoulders with the music cranked up, just like in New York City in the 70's and 80's when it was rather common to do that on the streets. I saw this happen with people riding their bikes before or smartphones, but not an actual boombox like back in the days. That was weird to see that here lol.

The only thing missing is full of graffiti because my city or the landlords in the area seems to be very quick at erasing them lol. Which reminds me, @Juju and me should go to Quebec City to contemplate street art at some point. If there is still a legal graffiti spot there maybe we could try to put a :walrii: there

p2

this happened in my school:
we had technology classin 2 groups, one earlier, the other one later.
I was thinking if I should stay for the later class as well since I hadnt finished my work, but left anyways.

The school was testing their new speaker system as well aas automated warning messages this day and thought, that all pupils were at home (they FORGOT half of my class was still there).
So they started the alarm saying someone was running around shooting everybody in the school *terrible panic among my class mates*

They instantly called the police, but were redirected not to our city's police but to the next big city.
And only our city's police station knew about the test <_<
so a few minutes later a special anti-terror unit stormed the building, all masked and armed with machine guns and c...

In the meanwhile the caretaker went from room to room, listening if the alarm was loud enough in each room... (the alarm test)
The guys inside went to 1000% panic when *someone* tried to open the door of the room they were in (they blocked the door with tables and stuff).

but before he could open the door, a special anti-terror unit stormed the building, all masked and armed with machine guns and c...

to say sorry the whole class (even me) got a free trip to a park in the woods where u can climb trees and stuff, it was a great day  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

xMarminq_

Try not to get the school in the frame, people may stalk you  :-\
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations