Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Raspberry Pi based GameCube modchip

Started by novenary, November 30, 2014, 10:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArchReaper450

Streetwalrus but when I look at the board from the back it doesn't look like yours so I don't know where to pin the raspberry.

ArchReaper450

Or at the very least I don't see it.

novenary

Please don't double post, it's against the rules. There's an edit button for a reason.

That said, did you remove the metal cover below the DVD drive ? The board you have to solder most wires to is in there.

ArchReaper450

Oh! My bad I was looking at the wrong board!

novenary

That's what I was thinking. :P Have fun.

Dream of Omnimaga

Question: Are there different hardware revisions for the GameCube? For example, I think I recall some NES consoles that lacked the RCA jacks on the side and some SNES boards were a bit different. Was it the case on the Gamecube and could it prevent Streetwalrus mod from working on older or newer models or NTSC consoles (since his is PAL)?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Yeah there are quite a few different motherboards and DVD controllers. They're mostly compatible tho.

The only big differences are on video output tho, the rest is the same.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok thanks. I was a bit worried since some console mods tend to only work in one region or hardware revision.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Nah all modchip work on all boards (or almost, some Wii modchip that works in the GC doesn't like very early BIOSes).

ArchReaper450

Is there anywhere else I can pin gpio9? I pulled on the wire when my dog jumped on the table. The gold piece was stripped from the gamecube board

novenary

Yeah there are extra pads right next to the connector, just use a multimeter to find it.

ArchReaper450

Thanks, I found them but It's not loading up Xenogc. The pi lights up and "tries" to patch through when I use a burned copy but I get nothing. ACT lights up on boot and when I insert a copy of too.

novenary

Does the disc spin up ? It's supposed to start spinning, accelerate, stop and start again. If the ACT led doesn't turn off it means it could prepare the drive but not upload the patch.

Also did you put the top cover back on ? There's a switch on the drive to check whether the lid is closed. If it's not pushed down it won't work. :P

ArchReaper450

It starts (ACT lights up), stops (ACT lights down), restarts spinning(ACT lights up again), spins for awhile and either gives me an "insert a gamecube disc". Yeah, I noticed the switch to the right, I just put my e-tape on it  to hold it down.

If I press start from boot, it doesn't show me the version or anything. I have 2 different SD card, one with raspbian and the other with arch linux. Both have the kernel.img and both do the same thing.

novenary

That's odd. Seems like it can't read the disc and the drive gets reset. Did you try an original to see if that still boots ? The drive should show the same behavior regardless.