Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Post your desktop !

Started by novenary, June 22, 2015, 08:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

c4ooo

Quote from: Streetwalrus on July 09, 2016, 02:58:15 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 09, 2016, 04:24:54 AM
I guess Arch is more for people who love command consoles and old-schoolness. :P
Command line doesn't mean old-school though. For some tasks it can be pretty powerful, like batch processing, which is a pain to do in GUIs. Also there is the problem that most GUIs are anti-keyboard and some people find working with the keyboard only a lot more comfortable (me included). When you're used to it it's a lot faster than mouse based interfaces.
I generally never use CMD except for very basic tasks. I do all my programming in an IDE, which is much easier then having a window for editing, another for compiling, as well as a file browser, etc. Generally unless CMD is already open to the correcg directory and I know the exact file path, using a visual GUI is much easier, and faster.

Dream of Omnimaga

THe issue with CMD is when not using batch files, it can take a while to navigate between some folders, especially if you can't remember the paths by heart.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

cmd is the best. At least for me. If you don't need that GUI, that is.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Unicorn

But what you do, DJ, is make those paths nice and easy, one directory from th starting directory. I prefer navigating folders woth cmd rather than a file explorer; there is no load time, and doing all that typing makes you feel cool :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Turiq

Spoiler
[close]

Woo, cluttered desktops. Also, woo, mismatched monitor resolutions :^)
  • Calculators owned: 84+SE, Nspire Cas, Nspire CX, Prizm
*blinks*

Dream of Omnimaga

Unicorn I just do what Turiq does: put files I use often on my desktop. I don't care about icons :P But I ha e to make sure it won't get messy.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Gravity Falls fan here, eh? I should definitely watch that one day.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Turiq

Quote from: Juju on September 13, 2016, 04:35:57 PM
Gravity Falls fan here, eh? I should definitely watch that one day.
Do. Gravity Falls is a gem.
*blinks*

Dream of Omnimaga

There's an Gravity Falls anime? O.O  I guess I played too many calc games because for me, Gravity Falls/Run/Guy is that one game where you move non-stop in a 2D side-scrolling map and must switch gravity with the 2nd key. :P

Yuki

I'm not sure it's the same Gravity Falls we're talking about.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Yuki

Yay, managed to reinstall macOS on an external hard drive after the internal was pratically destroying itself and crumble under errors. Spent like 3 days trying to do that. Oh well. Now it works... Sometimes it's better restarting from scratch.

(yes Miku thanks for cheering me ^.^)
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Turiq

...I think I melted a little. That Miku background is too adorable for me.
*blinks*

kotu

• Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

p2

* p2 is still waiting for some lime green console text to appear >.>
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)