Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Restauration and modernisation of an old rotary dial phone

Started by DarkestEx, June 09, 2015, 06:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Thank you all :)
I am happy that it finally works.
Was quite a bit of work to get it going again.

So for a video, should I just call it and answer?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: DarkestEx on July 06, 2015, 05:16:17 PM
Thank you all :)
I am happy that it finally works.
Was quite a bit of work to get it going again.

So for a video, should I just call it and answer?
That would work :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

My grandparents have one, and it works with there digital line, though it may have something to do with this box they have in their basement, try said it converted te analog signals to digital, and digital to analog.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

utz

@DarkestEx: Congrats, that's one awesome phone restauration!

I picked up a somewhat older (late 80s) phone on the fleamarket a couple of years ago. It basically worked fine - except that some of those phone services where you need to navigate through some menues would accept only vocal, but not keypad input. Eventually I found out that the thing was working in pulse-dial mode :o Come to think of it, it's quite fascinating that this crappy old thing would work like this, hooked up to some bleeding edge fibre network :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

DarkestEx

Quote from: utz on July 15, 2015, 12:17:35 AM

I picked up a somewhat older (late 80s) phone on the fleamarket a couple of years ago. It basically worked fine - except that some of those phone services where you need to navigate through some menues would accept only vocal, but not keypad input. Eventually I found out that the thing was working in pulse-dial mode :o Come to think of it, it's quite fascinating that this crappy old thing would work like this, hooked up to some bleeding edge fibre network :D
Thanks! :)

Nice. I solved the pulse dial problem with an adapter. I was first going to build one myself, but then opted to buy one.
It does now work on our VOIP telephoe system.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

That's cool to read. I wondered if old phones would work on today's phone lines too. I wonder if old cellphones could be modded to work on modern carriers? Imagine you arrive at work with your huge cellphone brick and a massive car battery XD
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 19, 2015, 06:03:29 PM

That's cool to read. I wondered if old phones would work on today's phone lines too. I wonder if old cellphones could be modded to work on modern carriers? Imagine you arrive at work with your huge cellphone brick and a massive car battery XD
Lol yeah.
I don't think so, but you can probably gut it and put your own modern hardware in it.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, I meant with changing as less as possible in the original hardware.

alexgt

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 19, 2015, 06:03:29 PM

I would hope you had a desk job to set it down O.O
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

allynfolksjr

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 19, 2015, 09:43:30 PM
Yeah, I meant with changing as less as possible in the original hardware.
Well some of the older phones have an intel 8080 or similar. i guess you could make your own rom and use another rf antenna. maybe you could get something going.

Quote from: allynfolksjr on July 20, 2015, 12:09:32 AM
This is very cool! Well done.

calcplays

Quote from: DarkestEx on July 15, 2015, 12:21:28 AM

Thanks! :)

Nice. I solved the pulse dial problem with an adapter. I was first going to build one myself, but then opted to buy one.
It does now work on our VOIP telephoe system.

Speaking of pulse dialing, even the newish cordless telephones in my house have an option to switch between the pulse and tone dial mode. Pulse dialing (along with the many phone jacks on the walls of my house) used to work until recently, allowing me to repeatedly hit the phone hook of a corded telephone to make calls. Alas, when we switched over to Comcast (or Xfinity) for Voice, with their swanky Triple Plays and VoIPs, pulse dialing and wall jack functionality were gone.

Dream of Omnimaga

Is pulse dialing when instead of doing beep noises when pressing number keys, it does repeated clicking noises?

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 24, 2015, 03:05:19 PM
Is pulse dialing when instead of doing beep noises when pressing number keys, it does repeated clicking noises?
Yes