Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

AdventureWalrus! [CSE] [xlibC]

Started by Unicorn, April 04, 2015, 05:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah Ok I hope that doesn't happen soon, though,and if you do I hope you stick around. :) Or maybe you could program on-calc?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Well, on-calc is hard doing sprites. I will not be leaving anytime soon, unless something unexpected happens.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah right, I forgot about sprites. I guess it doesn't help that a lot of my games are ASCII :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Yeah, but most of my other games are ASCII.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

ASCII isn't a bad taste proof. ASCII art is another style that a good designed should master. I saw pretty meat games done with this style in mind and it wasn't ugly to look at.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

It sounds like I am going to order my new computer tonight, so I should resume this project by next week!

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

Actually... Maybe by May 20 ;)

School ends then.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on May 03, 2015, 11:46:37 AM
ASCII isn't a bad taste proof. ASCII art is another style that a good designed should master. I saw pretty meat games done with this style in mind and it wasn't ugly to look at.
Yeah I meant the fact that using ASCII requires no time for pixel art. When I worked on Reuben, a lot of time was spent designing wall sprites. Had I needed to design monsters too I would have needed a few extra weeks.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

It's even harder to find good fonts for such projects like dual-layered ascii. Go find a font which allows you to have neat letters *and* enough flexibility to have the possiblity to dual-layer your art! :D
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Unicorn

Welp, this is back in action, and I have a question!

I don't really understand how to get sprites into a program. I have Tokens and I have converted my sprite to Hex, but now, how do I get that Hex to become a sprite in the actual program? May I have some example code with an explanation?

No mockups or screenshots yet, but I am using the flying walrii sprite for this. :D

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

There's currently no way to convert individual sprites nor chunk of large sprites into xLIBC format. SourceCoder and TokenIDE both lack exporting to inline xLIBC sprite data features.

You need to place your sprites into a 128x64 image, then import it into TokenIDE, then export to a sprite sheet appvar from there.

This wastes a lot of archive space, but that's the only way to do it besides Celtic right now,and I don't recommend Celtic for sprites if you are gonna use xLIB in 160x240 mode, else it will get kinda complicated to deal with half of the screen at a time.

Unicorn

Hmmm... Could celtic sprites work? I will have about 7 sprites on screen at once, but will it be fast enough?

Oh yeah, does the image need to be transparent?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Celtic sprites would work in 320x240, but using the entire screen is hard (I think coordinate 0,0 is -27,-39, or something similar) , because it was intended for use on the TI-BASIC graph screen, not full screen. Also IIRC they're much slower than xLIBC sprites. You can use both transparent and non-transparent images. You choose the color you want to be transparent. Check DCS wiki for more info.