Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Nintendo Switch console

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, October 20, 2016, 02:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

I like the Switch. I think it is a great improvement over the Nintendo Wii U.
However, I can't imagine how they were able to balance heat output (and therefore battery life), performance and price right. I think they did their best though.
It costs about 380-400€ here. Also it looks fairily small. Also I like a lot that it is using flash cartridges, so you could buy second hand games (like what I do). I never bought a new game except for the two that were bundeled with my XBox 360 which is and will always be my favorite game console.
I also own a Gameboy Advance and a Gameboy Color as well as a Windows CE based, handheld emulator for the NES.
My absolute favorite system to play on is clearly my Commodore 64, followed by the XBox 360, followed by the Wii and the handhelds / calculators, followed by my PC and on the last place my phone.
But it must be noted, I don't really play much at all.

Am I getting a Switch - no. It is too expensive and the games are all copies of what we have all seen so far. There may be exceptions but no. My brother owns a Wii and I think that is enough TV-connected Nintendo for me, since it all really just repeats.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Btw, I like how the right joystick is lower. In Zelda  Wii U the  camera joystick is too high, which is exacerbated by the gamepad being so huge.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

ordelore

I bought one at the midnight release, and I should sit down to do the full review later. Here are my first impressions after this first weekend with the system.
1) Very sleek. The console just -feels- great in my hand in portable mode, and the Joy-Cons are tactile enough to the point where I don't feel like I'm holding glossy plastic.
2) Not very heavy. I have tablets that weigh more than this system, and do much less. Similarly, the heat output is almost non-existent after a full 2-hour session of Zelda.
3) I can't make a judgement on the battery life, since I've only been playing at home, but a friend had his last for 4 hours while playing Zelda and having the brightness at a minimum and wireless features turned off.
4) The performance issues in Zelda only pop up in spots that even dedicated PCs would slow down at.
5) The tablet's screen looks absolutely astounding. The 720p resolution coupled with a smaller screen leads to an incredibly high pixel density that leads to very crisp corners.
6) The included controller feels very ergonomic, much better than I expected, and I don't feel an immediate need to get a Pro Controller.
I only have BoTW, so my reactions are limited to that game
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+SE, TI_Nspire CX
Calc Wars is still alive (I hope)

gameblabla

I can't see myself buying a 300€ video game console where the killer app is available on the Wii U, with a combined price of lower.
Plus, all the games at launch were not that impressive.
I guess you can thank Nintendo for being paranoid (yet again) and not sending the devkits to indies before launch.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah IMHO they shot themselves in the foot by waiting so long to send the dev kits.  Now they only have 1 physical exclusive, although I can assume that Zelda will help too since they probably discontinued Wii U production and people who don't have a Wii U will get the smaller Switch instead .

I'm looking forward for Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (I won't buy it ifnit doesn't include the DLC's)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

tr1p1ea

I bought Zelda on Wii U and it is very impressive so far. The performance issues that people were going on about are minuscule imo.

That being said if it runs/looks even better on Switch then that is awesome.

However, it is still the 3rd Nintendo console that has had with a last-gen Zelda port ... ! The game is awesome but I imagine the dev cycle they are in it might take them 3-5 years to make another one, which would leave them in the exact same position with their next console!

I will be getting myself a Switch very shortly however, good to see that people are enjoying the system.

Hayleia

Quote from: gameblabla on March 05, 2017, 08:48:51 PM
I can't see myself buying a 300€ video game console where the killer app is available on the Wii U, with a combined price of lower.
Plus, all the games at launch were not that impressive.
I guess you can thank Nintendo for being paranoid (yet again) and not sending the devkits to indies before launch.
This exactly. I'm actually trying to see if I can't get my Wii U back (yeah, I got one at some point lol) because now that I think of it, even if it had to cheat by counting GC and Wii games, it did have a few interesting games. If the Switch doesn't get more Switch-exclusive games than the Wii U got, then it won't have anything since it doesn't have any kind of retro compatibility.

edit
Note, I know it's just out so of course it doesn't have 100 games already. I'm just saying that the Wii U had the advantage of the retro compatibility and that I'm waiting to see if the Switch will manage to be worth it without this advantage.

Dream of Omnimaga

It has 100+ games in development for 2017, but how many are physical releases and how many are exclusives?

p2

so it's not worth buying yet, but might be once more games are released? :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

::CMG (UTOPIA)::

Just a head's up for those that are interested in this thing, these are the issues people have been having

p2

Strange reports about the switch console:

The Switch console seems to TASTE terrible if you lick it, which is probably good, so children won't try to swallow it.  <_<

U can't charge ur switch on a macbook over usb-c as the switch's battery will be discharged and the macbook will get charged instead :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

tr1p1ea

SO ITS A PORTABLE USB CHARGER AS WELL?!

It has everything! :).

p2

it only is for macbooks :trollface:
for any other device there were no such reports :)
looks like the macbook is the onls one even more powerhungry than the switch ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I heard that there were some issues. I hope it's not widespread. I'm gonna make sure that there's a warranty or a way to send the console to Nintendo for free if there is when I get it. The PS3 and Xbox 360 had serious problems when they launched too and Microsoft had to launch a special recall program as a result. My main worry, though, is if removing the Switch tablet from the dock scratches the screen. I bet we will be told to just buy a screen protector <_<

Also, here's a teardown article/video http://www.polygon.com/nintendo-switch/2017/3/5/14821950/nintendo-switch-tear-down-video

Some people thinks that this console is kinda like the 3DS successor in some ways, rather than the Wii U. Kinda like how the Virtual Boy was not the SNES successor. I'm thinking that Nintendo will eventually exit the home console market and focus on portable consoles, but probably try to continue allowing to play their future portable consoles on TV if the demand is high enough.

Hayleia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 06, 2017, 02:25:50 PM
It has 100+ games in development for 2017, but how many are physical releases and how many are exclusives?
Quote from: p2 on March 06, 2017, 04:33:09 PM
so it's not worth buying yet, but might be once more games are released? :)
Both of you missed an important point. These games also need to be interesting :P
But yeah, I'd say that at least for now, it isn't worth buying at all. We'll see what comes next.