Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+CE] Wal-Rush! CE v2.0

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, March 12, 2016, 05:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

Wow. I totally missed that major update. Cool! The game looks a whole lot neater now. I really like the title screen! :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks a lot. I made the title screen gradient by drawing 3 rectangles per gradients at different horizontal offsets in some cases (yes, horizontal). The grass was made using a technique similar to what I explained in the other thread too.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Not yet, but I improved the speed and reduced flicker by replacing the massive half-screen rectangles that were used to erase Walrii. I now use an extra variable but at least the sprite is now erased with a much smaller rectangle.

The score now also shows up at the bottom of the screen
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

So a little update: Although the game is now over 100 bytes larger, the sky in the title screen is now drawn instantly. Rather than a for loop with a big list full of conditionals and an useless iteration, I just went with a larger list, but with less conditional, so while it's larger, the size increase isn't that bad. Now the only slow part is the title text.

Quote from: JWinslow23 on April 13, 2016, 07:11:12 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 13, 2016, 07:08:32 PM
Indeed. In FFII this is why the entire map is only rendered once entering the dungeon. When you switch to a new room, only the 4 exits are updated. Else it would take 8 seconds to load every room.

Also here are some 3-rectangle fish/spike ideas if I was to improve the other sprite:

The spikes would pretty much be a recolored fish sprite with one of the rectangle being the same color as the background. :P
I was thinking something TOTALLY different for the spike (one for "body", and two perpendicular "spikes" going through the center, creating 4 spikey thingies emanating from a thing), but second row is good.
My goal there was to re-use the same sprite for both the fish and the spikes, drawn with 3 rectangles. The spike would basically be a teal/cyan rectangle (which is invisible against the background) with the two others being red. Also sorry I missed your post @JWinslow23 for some reasons. :P

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Good news: The game is finally complete! :D

New feature additions:
-Collision detection for fishes and deadly obstacles
-Fishes gives 10 points
-Along with spikes, there are now mines as well. Mines will chase you so they are much harder to avoid.
-Highscores support
-The death animation has been added and now looks similar to the Atari 2600 version in style.
-You can now exit the game with CLEAR from the title screen or during the game.

You need CE Textlib from http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/465/46522.html to play this game.  The game download is attached below:

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/466/46696.html

JWinslow23

Awesome! My only complaint is that the controls feel a bit stiff (can only press one button at a time), but that's a TI-BASIC limitation, so I give it a pass. Congratulations!

Oh, and how do you get a crab off of a polar bear? Just wondering.

Dudeman313

WOW! How did I miss that post? It looks awesome, especially with the score bar. :D
Any Easter Eggs?

Quote from: JWinslow23 on April 20, 2016, 09:46:57 PM
Oh, and how do you get a crab off of a polar bear? Just wondering.
You don't. You wait for the polar bear to eventually find some way of killing the crab because of its annoyingness.

Also, there's a random question thread, under Randomness. Go there with your random questions in the future. :)
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks guys. And yeah @JWinslow23 I don't understand why TI still insists on allowing 1 keypress at a time in most of their newer languages. I mean, on the Casio PRIZM, the TI-89 and the HP Prime we can press multiple keys at once, but in Z80/ez80 BASIC and Nspire Lua we can't. Go figure. ???

And @Dudeman313 nope there are no easter eggs, although there is a small display bug that I was too lazy to fix: When the fishes appear in the top most row, they look like spikes but blue, This is because of the hackish ways I used to display properly aligned rectangles on the 4x4 grid, which won't show up if they are displayed at the very top of the screen and not at multiples of 12. <_<

Dudeman313

Oh, okay. :)

And the key thing is annoying on TI's part.  <_<
Is there anyway at all to make multiple key-presses allowed?
The answer is "Sure."

Unicorn

Wow, this is pretty cool! I didn't think that Textlib would be able to handle this kind of displaying!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dudeman313

I know, right?
Someone's got to ask if the Dr. knew about all this stuff.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Dudeman313 on April 20, 2016, 10:47:46 PM
Oh, okay. :)

And the key thing is annoying on TI's part.  <_<
Is there anyway at all to make multiple key-presses allowed?
You need xLIBCE, ASM or C for that, or someone would need to make a standalone library that adds multi-keypress support to BASIC.

Quote from: Unicorn on April 21, 2016, 06:37:08 AM
Wow, this is pretty cool! I didn't think that Textlib would be able to handle this kind of displaying!
Yeah me neither. What happened is that a few months ago I remembered that CE Textlib supported chained commands, so I figured I would make a 26x10 resolution Wal-Rush clone using multiple rectangles, but I forgot that rect started at 0, not 1, and somehow it still drew my rectangle anyway (overlaping on the gray status bar). Later I discovered that drawing rectangles far into the screen wrapped around on the other side, then I discovered that when wrapping around the rectangle position or size were not exactly the same as when drawn properly. This is how I finally discovered that CE Textlib games could actually be 27x59 or something.

I knew that 80x59 was also possible, but some rectangles were offset by 1 or 2 pixels vertically, and more recently I finally realized that wrapping enough enough times would display the misaligned rectangles exactly 4 pixels below, so all I had to do afterwards was move that rectangle up. The drawback with that trick is that they can't be drawn in the first rows, so technically full-res CE Textlib games are 80x57 or so.
Quote from: Dudeman313 on April 21, 2016, 10:45:45 AM
I know, right?
Someone's got to ask if the Dr. knew about all this stuff.
If you mean DrDnar, the author of CE Textlib, then I don't know if he's aware of this. He might be aware about if using such trick can screw up your calculator RAM data but so far I have never encountered any crash nor any other issues while using CE Textlib tricks. I hope he doesn't patch all those exploits once he discovers, though. :P