Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

An Idea.... Legend of Zelda: Dark Link's Quest on CE?

Started by Dudeman313, February 06, 2016, 08:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

I don't think this is compatible with the CE yet, because I think it uses XLIB, but could it be recreated(maybe with a different character sprite) for CE? It could use CE Textlib like Mana Force...
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

A CE Textlib port could work but only if enemies and Link are the same color.

There would also be no scrolling between screens and no cinematic sequence.

Also DLQ doesn't use xLIB because it came out before xLIB existed.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Oh. It's that old? O.O So would it already work on the CE because it doesn't use xLIB?
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

It would require lots of modifications but most likely be doable and it would have a lot fewer sub programs I think

With xlibce the cinematic could be ported but it would be 320 KB large.

EDIT @Dudeman313 there is one possible solution to keep the map-to-map scrolling intact in such port: Basically, when it starts scrolling, the map would be reduced to two colors (the landscape colors), then the stuff with extra colors would be recolored once scrolling is done.

Also there is the issue about how to detect what needs recoloring since the game uses strings. I think a CE Zelda port is better off using actual sprites, and due to how Zelda DLQ maps are made, they would probably have to use something like the NES Zelda sprites.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

What if it was remade in eZ80? I think it would look pretty cool as the first true RPG for the CE series.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

It would, but I don't know ez80 nor C nor do I plan to learn them. Also there is already an RPG for the CE called First Fantasy :P (which only misses actual graphics that aren't letters)

Dudeman313

I have Final Fantasy, I'm still being frustrated over the Wizard Tower(I get to the boss, then die in battle! ARGH!!!).
I just think it would be cool to have a full color awesome games that I haven't gotten bored of.
Like Reuben Quest with the color graphics. :walrii:
Or Spencer's Zelda, if it was finished for the TI-84+ in the first place.
Things like Gemini, Zombie Gun, IkarugaX, CaDan, Desolate, CubeRunner(This might actually be my first program, with help from someone), GeoCore, Pinball, Super Mario(I don't know if @MateoConLechuga  will finish his) and Stick Ninja.

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually to beat the boss I think you can't use regular attacks. I forgot which magic works best though, but you definitively need enough levels.

I am curious about if Gemini would run fast enough?

Dudeman313

It might... The CE has a lot of RAM. Also, Runer112 optimized the original so I could play it when I had a TI-84+. It's on Omnimaga somewhere.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

RAM doesn't matter. The problem with the original is that 6 MHz was just not enough to sustain a full-screen raycaster with textures at decent frame rate. A 15 MHz version would be faster, but if you switch to color models then you deal with an even larger screen, so I think scanlines or a lower resolution would need to be used. Perhaps something like 2 bits color mode, if that's available?

Dudeman313

Well, I remember that the original, or at least the optimized one, didn't take up the whole screen. Or maybe I should just wait until JamesV comes out with his own FPS.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah it didn't take the entire screen for speed reasons. If it did, then it would have ran twice slower.

Also about Zelda DLQ, I was contemplating making a mockup of what the tilemap could look like with 8x8 sprites or color ASCII. I would just need to import one of my old maps into Mappy then replace the graphics.

Also, if Zelda DLQ CE ever happened with 8x8 sprites, then the maps would probably be 15x8 instead of 16x8 (probably wouldn't matter too much due to how scrolling worked), and the top of the screen would look like the NES Zelda.

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Dudeman313

No thank you. I ignored the warning the first time, then deleted the program out of frustration.
The answer is "Sure."