Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Cooking and Baking

Started by pimathbrainiac, January 29, 2016, 11:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pimathbrainiac

Thought I would create a thread for this over here! Post your culinary concoctions in this thread, and bon appetit!

First off, I made some homemade marshmallows!

And what are marshmallows without hot chocolate? (this is homemade mix, btw)

And tonight I made some pork fried rice because we had some leftover pork chops
Well, I'm bach here too!

Yuki

Heh, cooking is fun. I myself made up a pretty nice homemade onigiri recipe any student can make I could probably share. Well, it's not really like the real Japanese deal, but it works and makes for a nice meal with family. (Well, for me, anyway.)

4 cups instant rice (like Minute Rice)
4 cups water
1 can of tuna, chunked, in water
A bit of rice vinegar (you can buy that in your usual grocery store)
1 onigiri mold (I found this one at some discount store for like $5 the package was all in Japanese but it's pretty useful)
Mayonnaise (optional, see below)
Spice, soya sauce, etc. (optional)
Algae sheets (also optional if you don't have any, you can buy that in specialized stores)

Yields about 10 onigiris (depending of the size of the mold of course).

- Cook your instant rice as indicated on the package (I said 4 cups here, but you can definitely scale. And I said instant rice here, but if you have a rice cooker (I don't) and can make some sushi rice, you definitely can here). Pour a bit of rice vinegar in the mix (not too much) before putting it all for 8 minutes in the microwave. (Or is it after? I usually do it before.)
- Now your rice is done, you can spice it all you want, even put some soya sauce in there. Open your can of tuna and drain it. Now you have 2 options here: either you mix your tuna in your rice directly or you mix it with some mayonnaise.
- Now you can use your onigiri mold: if you mixed your tuna with mayonnaise, put some rice in the bottom, then some tuna, then rice again and press to make a ball. Otherwise, your tuna is already in your rice, then put all the rice you can in the mold and press to make balls you can wrap with algae sheets.

There you go, you have rater cheap-made onigiris. Yum. Of course there's quite a few variations on the same theme (like putting the rice directly in a algae cone, I never tried it but it sounds interesting to do), have fun.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

novenary

Nice stuff guys. I can make some pies and cakes but I don't think I have any picture lying around. It's pretty fun to do that kinda stuff when you're bored (and god am I bored these days <_<).

Dream of Omnimaga

What I want to make eventually is sushis. My concern though is how to make good sushi rice >.<

Also marshmallows with hot chocolate rules O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

That food looks great!

I cook all the time. I'll post my sister's collage of all my mother and my moin-moin creations later. :)

That page is not entirely accurate; Moin-moin is not a pudding, but a cake cooked by steam and made from beans, pepper, and palm oil.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Interesting. I assume it isn't meant to be eaten a dessert, right? Or does the taste still end up being sweet?

On a side note, there's a local fast food that has pizza slice+salad combo, and they never offer the same salads every day. Some taste weird, like when they use dried grapes inside couscous salad with regular dressing, but there are some that are just great. They mix up anything they want most of the time it seems.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 25, 2016, 12:18:45 AM
Interesting. I assume it isn't meant to be eaten a dessert, right? Or does the taste still end up being sweet?
Right. It's usually eaten for lunch, as it's much more spicy(ish) than sweet like sugar-loaded icing-coated baked stuff here, and accompanied by garri.

Note that that is also not entirely accurate; Garri is cassava, but roasted and ground(in that order) and sometimes, according to where you are, sun-dried.
In the U.S., or at least at my school, it has been mistaken for sand and (yes, it's true) cocaine. When you eat it with something, you add water and drink it(not like an actual drink!) like a cold cereal. Great on hot days, as it's technically already cooked.
When eaten with some sort of stew/soup, it is cooked into Eba.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Darn, I never heard those meals before. It seems like our culture here in Quebec is not very aware of African meals. Usually, the restaurants we have here that serves international meals serves stuff from Italy, China, Thailand, Mexico, Liban, Vietnam, Mexico and more recently Japan (thanks to sushis).
Quote from: Dudeman313 on April 25, 2016, 12:37:46 AM
it has been mistaken for sand and (yes, it's true) cocaine.
Lol, this reminds me when at work someone accidentally drops a bit of flour or icing sugar on the table. I once was tempted to bring out a $5 bill and roll it like if I was about to snort the stuff as a joke, but considering I got long hair and stuff I bet some people would get ideas and think I am used to doing it. :P (and seriously, why do people snort stuff with dollar bills? Money has plenty of germs on it because everyone uses it and it's never cleaned)

Anyway about sushis, my main worry was about the kind of fish I need. I was worried that if I used frozen fish that once thawed the texture wouldn't be great or there would be too much water in it. And of course the rice. Apparently, making rice that sticks together is very hard. Also I bet it must be quite expensive so if it costs more than going at a sushi restaurant then it might not be worth it.

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 25, 2016, 04:28:05 AM
Darn, I never heard those meals before. It seems like our culture here in Quebec is not very aware of African meals.
That kind of depends on what you call an "African" food, as Africa is a continent with over 50 countries, and Nigeria(which is considered "African" in the U.S.) has over 200 different cultures by itself.
No offense, as people make this mistake all the time, that's kind of like saying they don't have American food in Japan, even though America is technically 2 continents.

Quote from: Dudeman313 on April 25, 2016, 12:37:46 AM
it has been mistaken for sand and (yes, it's true) cocaine.
Lol, this reminds me when at work someone accidentally drops a bit of flour or icing sugar on the table. I once was tempted to bring out a $5 bill and roll it like if I was about to snort the stuff as a joke, but considering I got long hair and stuff I bet some people would get ideas and think I am used to doing it. :P (and seriously, why do people snort stuff with dollar bills? Money has plenty of germs on it because everyone uses it and it's never cleaned)
You go to work? I thought you were always to busy being a walrus all the time. :P
And I clean my dollars. The real question is why people snort stuff to begin with. :P

Anyway about sushis, my main worry was about the kind of fish I need. I was worried that if I used frozen fish that once thawed the texture wouldn't be great or there would be too much water in it. And of course the rice. Apparently, making rice that sticks together is very hard. Also I bet it must be quite expensive so if it costs more than going at a sushi restaurant then it might not be worth it.
I don't know about the kind of fish, but the rice is super easy. You got $10 and a pressure cooker/rice cooker? Buy some Jasmine rice. It sticks almost all the time if you cook it well. Usually, a ten-pound bag of rice is about $4.99.  :thumbsup:
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see, my bad >.<

And lol I need to get money for a living. And yeah I agree, especially considering how expensive it is.

I don't have a pressure cooker/rice cooker sadly.

Dudeman313

Looks like you'll have to do this old school, then.

I can't show you how to do it without being there, as my cooking methods have almost nothing to do with measurements and cannot be followed by the inexperienced person.    :-\

You might want to look up how to cook Jasmine rice on Google. :P

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

I'll check Youtube :)

Internet is really great for recipes. There are things I learned old school or from official recipes, and years later I check online and find new tricks. :P

Dudeman313

Okay.
All of my cooking tricks were kind of passed down from my great grandmother, and so my mother's adapted tricks are old-school.
I like it that way. :)

Also, this is apparently my 1235th post! :trollface:
The answer is "Sure."