Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Alien Breed 5 Episode III: Impact

Started by JamesV, December 21, 2015, 01:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

If you have enough space, could you add things like current weapon and score to the HUD? And also, could there be red arrows pointing to goal/objectives? When I played the monochrome version, I always felt this would help :P. The only thing you'd have to do is make sure the arrows don't show the path, only the direction(as if walking straight towards target), so that the Radar Scanner wouldn't become useless. And what colors do you plan on making for the different players in 2P mode?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

JamesV

Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 24, 2016, 09:28:51 PM
If you have enough space, could you add things like current weapon and score to the HUD? And also, could there be red arrows pointing to goal/objectives? When I played the monochrome version, I always felt this would help :P. The only thing you'd have to do is make sure the arrows don't show the path, only the direction(as if walking straight towards target), so that the Radar Scanner wouldn't become useless. And what colors do you plan on making for the different players in 2P mode?
I could possibly add the weapon & score to the HUD - I'll see how that develops.

I'll consider the goal/objectives arrow. The original game didn't have it, although the recent port to the PS3 did add something like this. Perhaps it could be added as an option. But it wouldn't be available in "TOUGH" mode, or something to that effect.

Player 1 will be green, and player 2 will most likely be red.

Dudeman313

Quote from: JamesV on February 24, 2016, 10:46:27 PM
I'll consider the goal/objectives arrow. The original game didn't have it, although the recent port to the PS3 did add something like this. Perhaps it could be added as an option. But it wouldn't be available in "TOUGH" mode, or something to that effect..
Sounds good to me! :thumbsup:

I was thinking green and blue- or making certain game colors customizable, like Puzzle Frenzy CE. :walrii:
The answer is "Sure."

JamesV

Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 24, 2016, 11:09:06 PM
I was thinking green and blue- or making certain game colors customizable, like Puzzle Frenzy CE. :walrii:
I'd prefer to stick with green & red, which would match the original Amiga games. However, I'll consider the option to choose player colours - perhaps that could be cool! :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Have you gotten any luck getting any form of data transfer done over USB? I am curious, now that player ,1 and 2 are being brought up.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JamesV

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 25, 2016, 07:05:21 AM
Have you gotten any luck getting any form of data transfer done over USB? I am curious, now that player ,1 and 2 are being brought up.
No I haven't even looked at USB data transfer. The 2 player mode is on a single calc (like v2.0.0 on the 83+/84+).

Not to say I'm against trying USB linking down the track, but nothing is in the works at this stage

Dudeman313

If you get anywhere with USB, though, tell @Hayleia , because it could be used to develop SSBO for the CE.
The answer is "Sure."

Dudeman313

@JamesV , I was just looking around on ticalc and I found this: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/148/14832.html.
Is it possible to put this into this project, but maybe with an AI? If an alien could evolve and run around with a gun, I think it could be a very challenging boss...
Or maybe I've just never seen a deathmatch game with an AI on a calculator.
The answer is "Sure."

JamesV

Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 26, 2016, 01:15:36 AM
@JamesV , I was just looking around on ticalc and I found this: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/148/14832.html.
Is it possible to put this into this project, but maybe with an AI? If an alien could evolve and run around with a gun, I think it could be a very challenging boss...
Or maybe I've just never seen a deathmatch game with an AI on a calculator.
Not in Alien Breed 5 itself - as I've mentioned a few times before, this game is essentially a port of the original Amiga games. I've added some very minor features that weren't in the original game, but I don't want to deviate too far.

If I get better at AI one day, perhaps I could tackle a separate "deathmatch" type game. It would certainly be cool!

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: JamesV on February 25, 2016, 12:32:04 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 25, 2016, 07:05:21 AM
No I haven't even looked at USB data transfer. The 2 player mode is on a single calc (like v2.0.0 on the 83+/84+).

Not to say I'm against trying USB linking down the track, but nothing is in the works at this stage
Oh I see, I forgot that v2.0.0 was on one calc. I was wondering since I never heard anything from CE developers about deciphering the USB protocol (it took years with the 84+).

ALso now that Dudeman mentions older games, I wonder if you had plans to port older AB games using the current engine?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

He might, he might not. I thought the higher the number in the series, the better the game, but then I played the Java Assassin's Creed and found otherwise :P. I think he could use the engine to make a pretty cool overhead RPG, though. I just don't know if @JamesV is into that kind of stuff.
The answer is "Sure."

JamesV

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 26, 2016, 07:57:36 AMALso now that Dudeman mentions older games, I wonder if you had plans to port older AB games using the current engine?
I don't have plans to specifically port Alien Breed 1, 2, Tower Assault (3) or Final Assault (4) specifically to the TI-84+CE, but there will be nods to the previous games in v3.0.0.

Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 27, 2016, 03:03:30 AM
I think he could use the engine to make a pretty cool overhead RPG, though. I just don't know if @JamesV is into that kind of stuff.
I am into that kind of stuff (I released an overhead RPG on the TI-86 called Banchor: The Hellspawn almost exactly 10 years ago), and I do have plans for a similar style game for the TI-84+CE in full colour. But this will most likely be next year, as I want to get Alien Breed finished first and continue with Thunderbirds as well.

Dudeman313

Quote from: JamesV on February 29, 2016, 01:02:37 AM
I don't have plans to specifically port Alien Breed 1, 2, Tower Assault (3) or Final Assault (4) specifically to the TI-84+CE, but there will be nods to the previous games in v3.0.0.
Like minigames, weapons, or boss levels? Also, a training level would be cool, with that green hologram grid background and such.

Quote from: JamesV on February 29, 2016, 01:02:37 AM
Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 27, 2016, 03:03:30 AM
I think he could use the engine to make a pretty cool overhead RPG, though. I just don't know if @JamesV is into that kind of stuff.
I am into that kind of stuff (I released an overhead RPG on the TI -86 called Banchor: The Hellspawn almost exactly 10 years ago), and I do have plans for a similar style game for the TI-84+CE in full colour. But this will most likely be next year, as I want to get Alien Breed finished first and continue with Thunderbirds as well.
Cool! I'll be waitin'. :P Somebody complained that that game was too fast, though.  <_<
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

A color remake of Banchor would be cool actually, but I would definitively want to see AB5 Color and Thunderbirds finished first :P

JamesV

Here's another test using 12x12 tile sprites, scaled up x2. I think this is my favourite so far. It scrolls 3 pixels per frame, so 1 tile every 8 frames, making it the same as the non-colour version (which is what I want, to maintain gameplay compatibility).

Don't mind the messy screen edges, as I still haven't implemented any clipping.