Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

First Fantasy: Mana Force RPG Color remake! [84+CSE] [hybrid BASIC] [DCSE8]

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, February 11, 2015, 07:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, I forgot to mention something about this version of the game: Unlike in the original, now when you defeat a boss, you automatically exit the dungeon you were in afterward, just like after most boss fights in Final Fantasy and Star Ocean series. That way, you no longer need to backtrack all the way back to the start.

As always, you can save your game anywhere, but when reloading your game you will restart at the village like in Zelda, Illusiat 8 and Illusiat 9. That remains the only way to exit dungeon 6 (Labyprog).

EDIT: Another thing is that I am trying to fix a balance issue that made the original game render early magic spells obsolete just 1 dungeon after acquiring them. First of all, the original lacked any elemental property whatsoever,  so I'm gonna fix that by adding fire, ice, bolt, holy and darkness elements. Also, another issue is that the second job is basically an improved version of job 1. In the remake, the stronger set of magic will simply have stronger elemental properties, so that instead of taking half damage vs certain elements, enemies will just take 0 damage vs that magic set. So in certain dungeons or vs certain enemies, having the weaker set equipped might be more ideal. For non-elemental magic, the issue is that many spells will remain redundant even after the changes above, so what I'm gonna do is that certain spells like Mini will ignore enemy defense or have damage that is entirely based on your HP or MP.

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

To take advantage of colors,  when you completed 5 dungeons, the village will now have different colors, sign of something bad about to happen and that you must complete the final quest soon. I cannot test if it works ATM, tho, since I'm on mobile.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok, so there have been some changes regarding what magic spells are available in the game and the behavior of one item, as an attempt to make battles more varied and more challenging:

-The Blitz spell (Level 2 lightning magic) has been replaced with Poison. This spell will work against every enemy 100% of the time, but it won't cause a very large amount of damage.
-The Flash spell (Level 3 lightning magic) has been renamed to Blitz. It remains identical to Flash.
-The Aura spell animation was replaced, because the old one was too hard to see.
-Display issues with Flare and Blizzard have been fixed
-Enemies can now cast Poison and Psy, depending of the dungeon you're in. They have no max HP so with the Psy HP absorb spell they can stack it up beyond what they start the battle with.
-The herb item now heals poison. It still heals 500 HP, but by healing poison it will at least not be obsoleted late game.
-When poisoned, the text that says LV and your character class in the HUD will turn red and say poison instead of your class.

Elemental properties and new damage formulas have yet to be implemented, though. See other thread for new screenies!

Dream of Omnimaga

Updates for tonight (finally):

-All offensive magic spell damage formulas have been replaced
-Strong against element properties implemented. Tier 1 elemental spells will cause half damage to enemies that are strong against and no extra damage if enemy is weak against. Tier 2 spells have much stronger elemental properties, so they'll deal 0 damage vs enemies that are strong against, but unlike tier 1 spells, if the enemy is weak against that element, they'll take twice as much damage (except with the Aura spell).
-Potions now heal 7000 HP instead of 5000. At 5000 they were pretty much worthless late game, especially considering how much money they cost compared to walnuts (that lets you heal 100 MP and use two Cure spells that almost heals all your HP).

I need to test for balance, though, now.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

It isn't really a port anymore nor a remake, it's absolutely an upgrade, you could almost take this as a new game (if we opt out the story and the map)! :p
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

jamu

Quote from: Duc "Scotch" Eiyerom on April 01, 2015, 08:22:59 AM
It isn't really a port anymore nor a remake, it's absolutely an upgrade, you could almost take this as a new game (if we opt out the story and the map)! :p
I agree
And this upgrade is absolutely amazing
I have a rhythm game problem.

Dream of Omnimaga

Upgrade would probably not be the word, as it would just mean the game going one version up while remaining the same overall. I would say it's a blend of a remake and a new game. The same dungeon and village layout remains, as well as most elements from the original storyline, but a lot of things were changed, such as magic behavior, enemy/item balance, etc.

Basically, if someone had made a walkthrough/strategy guide to beat the first game and find secrets, then battle strategy would probably not work with this version and vice-versa.

And thanks :D

123outerme

It's like a sequel with the same story, I suppose.
Anyway, looking really great!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Nah it's more a rebranded game starting a new series, I guess. For example, if there was to be a FFII game it wouldn't have anything to do with the 2003 Mana Force 2 game.

Also some updates:
-Enemies in the first dungeon are now level 1 instead of 2 and each level requires 1 extra experience point.
-Fixed bug causing regular attacks to ignore enemy defense.
-The first enemy has been nerfed
-Same for the first boss
-When equipping a mage-based job, your attack power is lower. For example, mage causes 1.5 times less physical damage, wizard twice less, dark paladin 2.5 times and master 3 times.
-You now start the game with 20 gold.
-Bargainer has now been replaced with thief, to prevent people from equiping the job just to buy cheap items then unequipping it back immediately afterward. Basically, instead of making items twice less expensive, you will now get double the amount of gold at the end of battles.
-It is now possible to switch back to the Fighter job. That job was useless in the first game, but now that mage jobs reduces your attack power, you might want to switch back in some occasions until you acquire the Warrior (double attack power) or Thief (gets twice as much gold in battle) jobs. Also, the fighter job is now the only job in the game with which regular attacks never miss.

Dream of Omnimaga

Another big update: The 6th boss (the one that was harder than the final boss) has been entirely reprogrammed. He now uses Mini, then when he has less than 8000 HP, he starts using Poison as well. But his Mini attack causes over 8000 HP damage, meaning that you can pretty much do nothing during the entire fight unless you figure out a strategy around this. Like all enemies in this dungeon, the boss is immune to all elements, so only regular attacks, poison, mini and omega will work. This fight is a major example of how this remake now incorporates strategy elements. He gives the thief job, which doubles the amount of gold you receive per battle, as well as 9999 exp and 9999 gold.

You need to beat at least 5 bosses in the game in order to access the final dungeon. There isn't any reward if you get all 6 jobs but I guess if you finish the game with 9999 gold, LV 99, 9 items of each and beat all 6 bosses, then you sort-of 100%'ed the game.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: tr1p1ea on April 02, 2015, 03:39:39 AM
Yay looking amazing!</English>
Lol the French news was an April fools joke so you can stick to English from now on. :P But thanks.

Right now I am still editing stuff as I play through the game. Everything seems operational so far, but some of the early dungeons or bosses were incredibly hard, while the 4th boss was too easy. Dungeon 5 is where you can start grinding for levels easily, but it's really in dungeon 6 that you need to do it for a while. That dungeon serves no other purpose, so it's best that you just wander around in every room twice or three times to get ready for the final dungeon. In the last three dungeons, the experience rate suddenly skyrockets so you'll level up much faster.

Once I have played through all dungeons, only two things will remain to be done, then hopefully I can get this game on ticalc.org. :)

123outerme

Nice! Looks like you're gonna win the CSE RPG race. But I don't mind, if I were to rush Solius it would turn out like Source Seekers. XD
Contrary to what you said on IRC (yeah I saw that), I'm trying to take Solius a little slower, because when I rush a big project I tend to make mistakes. This is a much more worthy CSE RPG, worthy of the "First" title like so many Youtube commenters crave :P . I can't wait to put this on my calc so I can have an excuse to take it everywhere now. "I have my calculator because I'm playing an RPG on it!"

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok. Good luck with your game and please make sure to backup often. I use SourceCoder but I make frequent copies on my two hard drives. If you screw up with xLIBC this can crash your calc.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 02, 2015, 06:05:03 PM
Aah ok. Good luck with your game and please make sure to backup often. I use SourceCoder but I make frequent copies on my two hard drives. If you screw up with xLIBC this can crash your calc.
Thanks! I will definitely remember to back it up. I think I'm actually due for a full RAM + Arc backp. By "this"
Quote from: 123outerme on April 02, 2015, 05:00:01 PM. This is a much more worthy CSE RPG...
I meant FF:MF. Just to be clear. :)