Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

New subforum theme

Started by DarkestEx, October 31, 2015, 12:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 02, 2015, 08:17:10 AM
User ranks cannot be set on per-theme basis, because there is no way to use custom CSS for them, at least not without making all their colors identical. EDIT: WAIT! Actually it might be possible, but it's not guaranted it would work. In the group name field, we can use the span tag, but the forums will only parse bold/italic/underline/font color. I'll have to check if classes can be set instead of styles.

ShortURL also needs to be fixed below the topic view, because the text is too dark.
The expand/collapse icons could also use some work, but which color should they be?
Can't you assign the user ranks a CSS class? If not I would really like to have some new BBCode that allows giving a custom CSS class to a text.

Yes I will look into short URL too.

Which expand/collapse icons do you mean?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

I'll have to check if classes work in that field, because the usergroup editor strips off some CSS properties. Technically, we aren't even supposed to be able to put HTML there so I am surprised that SMF team actually took the time to add CSS filters there.

I do not want usergroup colors to be tampered with by forum themes, to keep things consistent, but I wouldn't mind making some darker in colors to fit your theme better.

By expand/collapse I mean
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Araidia

This theme reminds me of a game, but I can't remember the name-darn it!
It had this guy who had one of those three eyed goggles that the military uses...
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Max Leiter

After using the theme for a while, I agree with @Streetwalrus about the contrast. I think blacktext is too difficult to read, compared to a brighter color

novenary

By the way you forgot to make the text on the quick replay banner black.

Also I couldn't stand the font on my pc so I made a quick userstyle to revert back to the regular font.
@-moz-document url-prefix("https://codewalr.us/index.php")
{
body, h4.catbg, h4.catbg2, h3.catbg, h3.catbg2, .table_list tbody.header td.catbg, div.cat_bar,
.catbg, .catbg2, tr.catbg td, tr.catbg2 td, tr.catbg th, tr.catbg2 th,
tr.catbg th.first_th,
tr.catbg th.last_th, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6
{
  font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
}

}

Araidia

Quote from: Araidia on November 02, 2015, 03:52:02 PM
This theme reminds me of a game, but I can't remember the name-darn it!
It had this guy who had one of those three eyed goggles that the military uses...
Just realized it was Splinter Cell lol
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Max Leiter on November 02, 2015, 03:54:41 PM
After using the theme for a while, I agree with @Streetwalrus about the contrast. I think blacktext is too difficult to read, compared to a brighter color
I actually don't mind the black text myself, since the gray isn't too dark, but again lightning in my room helps. I tend to get headaches when reading white text on dark backgrounds for extended periods of time, but I haven't tried on gray backgrounds. I guess we could try white text.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Ok I just experimented around, #DDD seems to be a good looking color for contrast, much more readable than plain black imo.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 02, 2015, 08:27:38 AM
I'll have to check if classes work in that field, because the usergroup editor strips off some CSS properties. Technically, we aren't even supposed to be able to put HTML there so I am surprised that SMF team actually took the time to add CSS filters there.

I do not want usergroup colors to be tampered with by forum themes, to keep things consistent, but I wouldn't mind making some darker in colors to fit your theme better.

By expand/collapse I mean
Ah alright, I will create some new, themed icons.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 02, 2015, 04:16:52 AM
By the way, while I like the theme, I kinda feel it's a bit akward that when we switch sub-forums the CW logo changes colors. Since the navigation is staying intact, do you think it would be better to have the logo look like this, so that it retains its original colors, but still have some NinjaBytes in it?

I tried doing a mockup and I thought it looked kinda cool.

Well after trying it out and comparing it side to side to the old logo, I think that I want to keep the old one.
I might change the navigation bar colors though.

I still think that its allright. I have no problems reading it.

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 02, 2015, 04:05:16 PM
By the way you forgot to make the text on the quick replay banner black.

Also I couldn't stand the font on my pc so I made a quick userstyle to revert back to the regular font.
@-moz-document url-prefix("https://codewalr.us/index.php")
{
body, h4.catbg, h4.catbg2, h3.catbg, h3.catbg2, .table_list tbody.header td.catbg, div.cat_bar,
.catbg, .catbg2, tr.catbg td, tr.catbg2 td, tr.catbg th, tr.catbg2 th,
tr.catbg th.first_th,
tr.catbg th.last_th, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6
{
  font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
}

}

Well I did not forgot changing the color, but links in title bars are currently themed white. I might look into another color there.
About the font: :P

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 02, 2015, 08:20:15 PM
I actually don't mind the black text myself, since the gray isn't too dark, but again lightning in my room helps. I tend to get headaches when reading white text on dark backgrounds for extended periods of time, but I haven't tried on gray backgrounds. I guess we could try white text.
I tried white text and it looks bad.

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 04, 2015, 03:47:15 PM
Ok I just experimented around, #DDD seems to be a good looking color for contrast, much more readable than plain black imo.

Nah, black is just fine. I have no issues reading it at all.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

novenary

Quote from: DarkestEx on November 04, 2015, 04:52:29 PM

Look, I don't want to be a c about this but if you're not accepting feedback then why ask for it ?
I'm obviously not the only one to want white/light gray instead of black, and it's not because you can read it that others can. A very large proportion of people have some kind of sight impairment and optimizing contrast is something to consider with text.
People who pick the colors and do the rest of the design are aware of that, they have a dedicated feedback team and beta testers to make sure it's alright. This is called accessibility.
Same problem with the font, you might like it but I find it very difficult to read, and you're not going to convince me otherwise.
I'm not going to force you to change these (after all that's what userstyles are for, although I can't reliably know which subforum I'm viewing with stylish), but please reconsider.

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually, looking at this screenshot, I find black easier to read but both are fine. My main issur is the white text in the green bars. but I think it depends of screen contrast as well. But keep in mind that since CW is our site then we are free to let people choose what they prefer. Maybe start a poll?

novenary

This isn't the brightest white I could use. For me it's easier to read with white though. A bright color on a dark background is proven to be much easier to read.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 04, 2015, 05:12:37 PM
Quote from: DarkestEx on November 04, 2015, 04:52:29 PM

Look, I don't want to be a d*** about this but if you're not accepting feedback then why ask for it ?
I'm obviously not the only one to want white/light gray instead of black, and it's not because you can read it that others can. A very large proportion of people have some kind of sight impairment and optimizing contrast is something to consider with text.
People who pick the colors and do the rest of the design are aware of that, they have a dedicated feedback team and beta testers to make sure it's alright. This is called accessibility.
Same problem with the font, you might like it but I find it very difficult to read, and you're not going to convince me otherwise.
I'm not going to force you to change these (after all that's what userstyles are for, although I can't reliably know which subforum I'm viewing with stylish), but please reconsider.
I do accept feedback and like to get it, but that does not mean that I have to change anything like you said. It's an orientation and I like to consider it when making changes.
Sure but the thing is that something that others say is sometimes very hard to experience yourself. Like I wouldn't ever thought about changing anything regarding the background or the font as I could always perfectly read it.
Another reason is that everything I change regarding this contrast "problem" basically overthrows all other colors and I have to change a lot then.
Also right now I have many other problems than just this website design: school problems, microcat not being able to run most programming languages and me probably having to develop one, manufacturing more than 100 units, etc.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 04, 2015, 07:37:37 PM
Actually, looking at this screenshot, I find black easier to read but both are fine. My main issur is the white text in the green bars. but I think it depends of screen contrast as well. But keep in mind that since CW is our site then we are free to let people choose what they prefer. Maybe start a poll?
I will change the white in the green bars definitely but the text color will certainly stay black. About a poll, well I don't think it's necessary but I might consider it for other things in the future.
Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 04, 2015, 07:40:25 PM
This isn't the brightest white I could use. For me it's easier to read with white though. A bright color on a dark background is proven to be much easier to read.
No, I will not change the text color at all. I will adjust the background colors some more.

novenary

Quote from: DarkestEx on November 04, 2015, 08:18:05 PM
No, I will not change the text color at all. I will adjust the background colors some more.
I'm fine with it as long as you increase the contrast, but keep in mind that we have the final word and if people complain that it's too hard to read we will not hesitate to modify the theme.
I can understand that it's hard for you to experience other people's difficulty to see, but that's what feedback is for. :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Maybe lighten the gray a little?