Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

First Fantasy: Mana Force RPG Color remake! [84+CSE] [hybrid BASIC] [DCSE8]

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, February 11, 2015, 07:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

I played it for a bit yesterday, and it was quite cool :D
After the third battle or something i forgot which way i was heading though  ;D
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Haha yeah that's Mana Force for you. :P It's worse in the first dungeon and the final one, though, because most other dungeons go in one direction. The final dungeon and dungeon 2 have a lot of dead-ends, though (sometimes you only reach the end of the path after 5-6 rooms)

I wonder if anyone will ever beat the boss in the 7th dungeon :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

So yeah, if xLIBCE and Celtic2CSE become things, then a CE version of this game would use just 2 sub-programs. A lot of xLIB stuff would have to be edited, though, since xLIBCE most likely won't use the same GRAM buffer layout used in xLIBC. I am still not 100% sure if an HP Prime version will ever happen, but if it does, then the HUD, text boxes and menus would be graphical, with borders like Final Fantasy and the game would most likely use 160x120 resolution. I am also unsure if an actual HUD would be used. (It's possible that outside battles it won't show up while walking, only when stopping moving)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

There is now a "sprite" sheet available for FF:MF:

Although they are mostly just ASCII characters from the TI-OS, I made this so that if the game is ported to the HP Prime it is still possible to keep the same graphical layout. The text boxes and magic animations will most likely be different, though.

If I decide to enhance the graphics, then I can simply replace the sprites with graphical 12x20 ones (some are actually different sizes) then add an option to switch between old and new graphics.

Unicorn

Cool! So there's gonna be an HP Prime version maybe?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Unicorn on July 27, 2015, 04:13:14 AM
Cool! So there's gonna be an HP Prime version maybe?
Yep, but there will be some differences, most notably the HUD, menus, text boxes, the copyright, magic animations and perhaps some other minor things. There will also most likely be scrolling or Zelda-like map-to-map transitions.

It's also possible that the final battle background will scroll like in Final Fantasy IV (it was static in the CSE version of FF:MF due to speed constraints)

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Indeed! Maybe some of the background graphics effects could be made cooler too, since the prime is more powerfull

Unicorn

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

My ideas were to have some wavy screen effects for fire animations and perhaps other animations with gradients or lines animations. I might also use MacBernick's translucent circles routine for some magic animations to have stuff like on the SNES.

Unicorn

??? ??? ??? ??? ???