Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Pokéwalrus screenshots thread

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 16, 2016, 06:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Note that the tilemapper above will only be used if XCOPY gets ported to the CE, though, else I would need to cut down the amount of walruses in the game from 150 to about 100. In the event where XCOPY wouldn't be ported, I would simply convert First Fantasy II map engine to Sprites v3.3 and use that instead (which would mean larger, but more redundant maps and no scrolling).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

tr1p1ea

Looks awesome DJ!

Is xcopy the clone utility that does temp archived prgm execution and such? That will be part of DCE9 if all else fails. There isn't a whole lot to it code wise.

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks tr1p1ea. Yeah XCOPY is the archived program copy thing Iambian made as standalone for Illusiat 13. @MateoConLechuga seemed interested to port it to the CE for those who don't want to wait for DCE9 release or wants to use a different lib but I think he is quite busy right now.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

The HUD is static text placeholder for now, but you can now see what it will most likely look like:

I am still debating between having F1-TALK F2-SEARCH F3-BATTLE F4-STATUS so that you can switch between those like if they were modes, so if you are hunting for treasures or a switch you just have to set yourself to SEARCH and not have to select SEARCH everytime in the menu. For the BATTLE option I think there will be a confirm screen to avoid people selecting it by accident.

In other words, Pokémon meets Dragon Warrior, sort-of. Even the battle layout will be similar to DW1 lol.

gameblabla

And the irony is that you're making faster progress on your game than walrusrpg ever did...
I wish you good luck, this looks great so far.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

The issue with WalrusRPG is that one of the author prefers staying away from forums overall and the other author, @Streetwalrus , is not currently working on it I think. That said, I think this project will take me months, because of how tedious some tasks are and how tired I am lately. The tedious tasks are due to how many walruses the game has. :P

Thanks by the way :)

p2

As you all know I'm always bored. So today I created a clone of it for Windows, which took me about 6 hours:
If runs at about 20FPS, supporting animated sprites/tiles/whatever.
Walrii itself is of cause animated, too.
I also already included both solid and non-solid blocks as well as a world border.

next up to do is adding interactive objects and a real map  :)
[spoiler=screenshots]I'm sorry but I have no software for capturing my screen here... :/ Maybe can provide a good GIF later ^^
*Also sorry for the quality, I'm working on that... <_<
[spoiler=Version 1][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Version 2][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Version 3][/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Edit: Walrii's back is transparent now and the bad jpeg quality is gone :3
Edit2: Added about 40 sprites and created a little map ^^
Edit3: Thanks to some random windows10 bug (I cING HATE YOU!!) I just lost al progress made in the last 4 hours, yaaaay <_<
Edit4: Redrew all riles in great quality (PNG now) and added some new ones
Edit5: Removed the stupid control buttons (weren't implemented yet anyways) and then doubled the screen size (now 16x12 tiles)
Edit6: Added multi-layer blocks so Walrii can now hide behind trees, statues, grass, ...
Edit7: Realized I either need to make it a multi-layer map or use smaller tiles... Else I'm gonna need multiple hundert tiles...
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol interesting. Would it be similar in gameplay, though? I see the tiles are different and the walrus is not always centered, not to mention the different map size. You might want to make a separate topic, though :P

Also I could probably add grass textures to my game, as long as the grass is under or close to under the Walrii, due to Sprite v3.3 lacking transparency support. If I ever add different road colors then there would be a colored square around Walrii.

p2

Indeed, I'm gonna start a separate topic as soon as I made some more progress (Which could take some time sonce I lost a big part of my code).
Until then I'll just stick to that one single post and edit it :)
Also I didnt want to start a competition or something here, It was really just our of being bored that I created it, I'm sorry :/
Do I have your permission to continue with this little project...? Guess I should ask since it's nothing but a cheap copy of your game :/
*the tiles have all been re-drawn. Also the window size will change lateronn since I want to adapt a smooth scrolling effect :)

I dont know if adding different backgrounds to walrii would be wise... since walrii is animated you already need 8 images for it which would be multiplied... >.>
so creating walriis for sand, grass and stone for example you'd already need 24 pics... :/ Maybe Adding some more detail to the surroundings would pay off more
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

Sorry to hear you lost parts of your code. D:

Make sure to backup often. Also it might be better to not stick to just 1 post that you edit, else it won't appear in WalrusIRC (unlike Omni and Cemetech, Walrified doesn't notify of post edits) and I won't notice. As for competition I am fine. Besides, there are already two other Pokémon walrus PC games that were started in the past :P (although not finished)

As for backgrounds in my game I would just need to cache Walrii multiple times and have a background in each frame. It wouldn't take much more space, but having to check which colored frame I need to draw in addition to which direction/walking frame might slow the game down too much. The game already runs at 2 FPS on calc when you have other files on your calc and about 2.5 FPS when your calc is mostly empty, so I would prefer to keep it at 2 or higher (which is fine considering the planned map sizes)

Dream of Omnimaga

I implemented two of the other color palettes in the map engine and I also added the ability to multiply the palette values by a certain amount, which gives even more possibilities:

Switching palettes is slow, though, because I need to store the sprite data again over and over. In other words, though, I have unlimited color possibilities just from four different palettes (one of which is incomplete). I could add more palettes of course, though. :P

EDIT: All colors in the palette except one are now used. The tiles above can now show up as water under some setups, even with a border! It doesn't look 100% perfect but I guess it will do the job:

TheMachine02

This looks gorgeous ! I particulary like the 'multiply by a value' effect. Keep up the good work  :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks. I admit that using the multiply effect or anything else would be kinda going the lazy route since it saves me work, but it can still be handy because making color palettes by hand is kinda tedious and confusing x.x

:3=

Dream of Omnimaga

Walruses

EDIT: Damn almost already 7 years