Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

How fast can you read?

Started by c4ooo, February 12, 2016, 01:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ooo

aetios

That's interesting, but what these people forego is that usually the most used way of reading a text is so called'skimming' ie reading in one sweep from top left to bottom right and extracting the info. Also, I can't exactly say this gives me less stress when reading, cause I can't read at my own tempo.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dudeman313

I think it helps me. I just wish there was a Chrome Extension for this.
Also, when I read, there is a little voice inside my head that processes everything. According to research this voice isn't yours until you've realized the voice in your head sounds nothing like you. Anyway, when I use Spritz @ 400 WPM or higher, my little voice has some trouble keeping up. 450 WPM or higher and I start to miss words.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

GalacticPirate

Well, at 700 words per minute (in French), I miss about 5% of words but I still get all the information  ;D
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Dudeman313

I find it hard to follow when there are large words. My peripheral vision is not used to being focused like that. I might get everything on a smaller screen, tho.
The answer is "Sure."

alexgt

I started to skip words at 450 wpm
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

CVSoft

I found 700wpm to be easier than 500wpm. It's hard to retain the information when it's presented at this high speed but I get the main point.
  • Calculators owned: TI-73, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83, TI-83 Plus, TI-84 Plus, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89 Titanium

Unicorn

I can read 700 wpm, understanding it, but missing a few words. 550 is max I can do without missing anything, I think.

I wonder if I could port this to the CE or the CSE... :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

CVSoft

The placement of the center letter is how this method works. While I'm sure their algorithm behind that is what they're protecting, a less computationally-intensive calculator version can be done.
[edit] you can probably just approximately center it and get a very similar result.
  • Calculators owned: TI-73, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83, TI-83 Plus, TI-84 Plus, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89 Titanium

Dream of Omnimaga

What would be better is if the next word only showed up once you pressed a key, with an option to show multiple words at once. Once the timer runs out it would calculate how fast exactly you have read.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Quote from: CVSoft on February 13, 2016, 05:13:04 AM
[edit] you can probably just approximately center it and get a very similar result.
Thats what I was thinking. The problem would be making a font that large, though.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

aetios

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 13, 2016, 05:35:34 AM
What would be better is if the next word only showed up once you pressed a key, with an option to show multiple words at once. Once the timer runs out it would calculate how fast exactly you have read.
Yeah, except this isn't really a fast reading test, but more a demo of a new reading system developed by some company.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, the topic title is a bit misleading. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Araidia

On the same topic, there's an app for this(I got it as an app of the week or something like that)
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard