Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Tetris is an RPG

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, August 20, 2016, 03:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

They say Borderlands is an RPG, Bioshock is an RPG, Overwatch is an role-playing game as well, Omega Quintet is an RPG, Super Paper Mario is a JRPG, Destiny is an RPG, Halo is an RPG, Madden NFL series are RPGs (arguably, sports games nowadays have a lot of RPG elements), Watchdogs is an RPG, GTA is one as well.

By that logic, wouldn't that mean that Tetris is also an RPG? I mean, it's getting ridiculous how every single game that comes out are now labeled as role-playing games by many people and sites. I almost snapped when people started saying that Bioshock series are RPGs. Even some retro games like Metal Gear on the NES and every single side-scrolling platformer on the Sega Genesis that are not Sonic are being reclassified as RPGs by some people. The next thing you know is that 10 years from now all the games above will be called JRPGs if any Japanese people are part of the development team.

Personally I think that Borderlands and Zelda could be called an RPG to a certain extent, due to how many elements they have from that genre and the level of freedom and customization we got, but to me, RPG also rings like adventure/fantasy/sci-fi. When I search a gaming website for a list of console RPGs and Watchdogs/GTA shows up it gets very hard to find what I really want, even more so if what I am seeking for are Japanese role-playing games.

I think they should just do like they did with JRPGs (splitting them from western RPGs) and split first-person-shooter RPGs into a sub-category such as simulation RPG or something.

Now that makes me wonder, though: What about Super Mario Bros 3? Like SMW, this game is not 100% linear, you can explore and stuff, but in addition to that you even get a large item menu to "customize" your character with a power-up, even outside stages.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Eh, RPGs used to be a well-defined genre afaik, but nowadays, guess it's used kinda liberally. If it's a game you play a role, it's a RPG, right?

Of course, JRPGs are still a well-defined genre, Final Fantasy and the likes.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

gameblabla

Before the video game industry went nuts, i never understood why people were referring the zelda games as RPGs.
I mean, it is clear to me Zelda games are action/adventure games and calling them RPGs is a stretch.

And yeah, good luck finding any JRPG in the wild, it's dead impossible, unless you buy your games on dl-site...
I miss japanese games, i'm no longer seeing them as often as it used to be...
Now the norm is realism.
Perhaps this is why people are calling mainstream games RPG : it's because they miss JRPG...
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, personally Zelda being an RPG is debatable. Although I don't think the requirements to be an RPG is to have a leveling up system and random enemy encounters, Zelda still lacks some important features to be an RPG. Eg you can change item equipment but there is barely any other customization/upgrading. Also while Zelda is more open-world than Final Fantasy series, the games are more aimed at puzzles and exploration than character development. But I would say that Zelda is much more of an RPG than Borderlands. Some people will say that Borderlands have character customization, but it lacks a story entirely: I played through most of the first game and all you do is talk to a Quest guy, go pick up his item, bring it back to him, get another quest from the same guy, go pick up another item and repeat the process over and over.

Even calling my games Illusiat 1 through 6 RPGs is a bit of a stretch because of how limited they are lol.

Also what you mention Gameblabla happened on the N64 too back then. There were so few JRPGs on the console that reviewers and magazines started considering Shadowgate and Gauntlet as RPGs.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

QuoteSuper Paper Mario is a JRPG,
btw... does this Stand for Jump RPG or for Jump and Run Played Game or what is it?  <_<

I think it's somehow right to atleast label the more modern versions of games different than the old originals.
For example the old Super Mario games were cleary Jump and Run... But newer versions are much more than just that including long dialogues, 3D, changable characters, ...

But we still need more classes than just Shooter, RolePlayGame, MMO-RPG and Jump'n Run...  <_<
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

c4ooo

JRPG stands for Japanese RPG ;)
Anyways there is a fine line between RPG and First Person Shooter (FPS). Although you play a role in a game like Overwatch, i would label that game as a FPS. GTA, on the other hand, is more sandbox and has a coherent story with missions (i think) so it could be correctly called an "RPG".

Dream of Omnimaga

I still think GTA should be in a separate RPG category, though. Western RPGs should only include games with medieval, fantasy or sci-fi elements and character customizing/developement. GTA would then be ina separate sandbox RPG or simulation RPG category. Most people looking for RPGs want magic spells, swords or something similar.

p2

Isn't somehow almost every game some sort of RPG...?
even basic stuff like Minecraft coule be called a RPG  :P
(You play the role of a stupid guy called steve that's sitting on his island trying to survive and kill a stupid dragon within another dimension... And you got dragons, swords and magical spells ^^)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

E37

True... I guess it is just good business to stick as many labels on your game as you can.
There is a lot of competition between game makers and I guess some need all the help they can get.  (-_(//));
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

Dream of Omnimaga

I agree with p2 actually, but it's still good for games to be sorted by categories by limiting the definition of certain categories. I think this all started with the Xbox 360 and PS3, back when both consoles had about 3 JRPGs combined. THey probably wanted to make it look like both consoles had way more RPGs than they actually have by broadening the definition enough to lure JRPG/fantasy RPG fans in. They did the same thing with the Nintendo 64 with Shadowgate and to a lesser extent Gauntlet 64. It seemed desperate at times, but now it's misleading.

Also this is why for a while I looked at which company made or published the game. If a game that looks fantasy ish was published by Ubisoft, EA or something, then it was most likely just a western RPG or not even close to role-playing, and if it was published by NIS America, Square-Enix, AKSYS Games or Bandai Namco then it was more likely to be a JRPG. Nowadays that doesn't work anymore, because AKSYS no longer publishes actual JRPGs, only brawlers, danmakus and visual novels with anime characters, and Square-Enix seems to have jumped in the western RPG bandwagon.

p2

*this post was ment for another topic and ended up here by accident. Sorry for that. Admins, may you remove this post please?*
have a walrus :walrii:

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol p2, I think this happened with another post too a few weeks ago. :P

p2

Yess, I admit going through the "New Posts" list and opening all unread posts in separated browser tabs is a stupid idea... ^^ Always messing up the posts that way. But I'm too lazy to open them all one after another  :ninja: