Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

TI Software on OS X

Started by Yuki, October 07, 2015, 05:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

I noticed there's not much support for TI software on OS X, figured I should write this topic. So you can always compile your favourite software like on Linux, but there's a few gotchas I'll describe here. I'm on OS X 10.9 and it should mostly work for any OS X version.

Table of Contents

tilp / tilem2
Both projects says it should work on Mac OS X, but it's not tested. tilem2 works fine to me, I haven't really tested tilp other than the fact it works.

Installation is mostly like Linux, but there's a few gotchas. OS X and Xcode (with command-line tools installed) ships with most dependancies, but it misses a few. If you use Homebrew as a package manager, you can easily install them. Libarchive is shipped with OS X, but the development files aren't there, so you still have to download and install it.
brew install gtk+ pkgconfig libarchive libusb-compat libglade

You can then download the Linux install script, optionally comment the few lines at the end about tilp and gfm if you don't need them and only need the libti*, and run it:
chmod +x install_tilp.sh
sudo PREFIX=/usr/local PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libarchive/lib/pkgconfig ./install_tilp.sh

EDIT: This works with the currently released script on the official website, but @Adriweb made a tutorial simplifying quite a lot of stuff here with a dev version: https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17297&p=189786

tilem2 works as well, don't forget to install libti* with the script above:
svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/tilem/code/trunk tilem-code
cd tilem-code
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libarchive/lib/pkgconfig ./configure
make
sudo make install

Wabbitemu

There is a Mac version of Wabbitemu, it's from 2013, it works well, but it miss quite a few features from newer versions for Windows. There's a Xcode project in the source code you can probably use to compile a newer version, but I haven't been able to make it work yet, probably because the port has been unmaintained since then. Wabbitemu for Windows works well with Wine, but I have a few issues with graphics. Well, if you don't mind them it should be okay. It's probably because of my version of Wine and I probably should upgrade it.

So that's it for now, if I have something else to show I'll add them here.

FAQ

Q: Do you use XQuartz?
A: I don't think so, the version of gtk+2 I have seems to support Quartz natively. There's no OS X integration though, the authors will have to add some code for that, like integrating the menu bar in the top bar like every other OS X app out there, so that's why it looks exactly like on Linux and Windows.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Ivoah

Nice! I remember that I got TIlem working on my mac using xquartz. I used macports to install a dependency though, because I couldn't find what I needed in homebrew. Glad to see that it's possible with just homebrew :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Good tutorial Juju. Other worthy mentions would be jsTIfied and SourceCoder, which are web-based, but of course if your parents or school shuts down your Internet past 10 PM then those are not practical.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

jsTIfied and SourceCoder aren't OS X specific since they're web-based, as long you have a good browser it should work.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Snektron

And in emergency cases theres always Smartview too :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Adriweb

Wait woot? A few days ago I made a EN+FR tutorial from scratch for TILP on OSX :)
The nice thing is that it should work just by pasting the commands, no thinking necessary :P
Here it is, just in case: https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17297&p=189786
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Yuki

Oh, nice, I didn't saw it. Thanks!
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on October 07, 2015, 08:30:52 PM
And in emergency cases theres always Smartview too :P
That too. It's the only way to emulate the 84+CE. There is another, which is the JS wrapper, which could use a tutorial I guess, but just make sure to tell people that they absolutely need a valid trial or registered TI-Smartview license to use it and that it won't let you send files.

By the way @Juju , can you add anchors via HTML to post content? I tried a few years ago on SMF and it didn't work. It would be handy to jump to specific tutorial parts without having to break it into multiple posts.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 08, 2015, 06:14:58 AM
By the way @Juju , can you add anchors via HTML to post content? I tried a few years ago on SMF and it didn't work. It would be handy to jump to specific tutorial parts without having to break it into multiple posts.
There we go, a SMF feature I didn't knew of and never used added here in the OP. I did a table of contents. This is so fancy now.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh it,s not really a SMF feature, unless you refer to the html bbcode tag. What I meant was to use that tag then insert actual <a> tags in your post with anchors. :P

EDIT: Wait, SMF has anchors built-in? O.O (I just checked your post) That's nice.

Max Leiter

Thanks for the instructions on getting TiLP2 running, couldn't figure it out

novenary

I've used Tilp, Tilem2 and TiEmu on OSX without any issues back then. They're all available in MacPorts so you just need to install them through it. Or your favourite port system but I dunno if it's in the others.

Dream of Omnimaga

Woah, how did I forget this topic just a day after it got posted? :O Max needed help on IRC last night, yet I had completely forgotten that this existed. My bad :X