Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CKH4's Pixel Art and Such

Started by CKH4, March 19, 2015, 02:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CKH4

Eiyeron: the reason that I added the fog in the bloom version was that the horizon line looked too sharp for me. I have something planned to fix that but its not pixely :(. Also I can lower the number of colors but the grass doesn't have random noise, I drew all of it but the bloom.

Quote from: Streetwalrus on March 20, 2015, 07:28:34 AM
Personally I prefer gradient over dithering.
Me too but I've seen some cases where putting a gradient would look far worse than dithering.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah i feel that HD gradients might not fit as well with pixel art with few colors. It depends, though. Pier Solar HD does a good job at blending pixelated graphics with HD gradients and textures on the Wii U, Xbox One and PS4
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

Well I tried something but its not good imo.

Snektron

It looks like the grass makes a dropdown about halfway
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

CKH4

yes I thought it would look so much better. :'(

Here's a new attempt:

Snektron

CKH4

I'm still working on the grass but the problem is that there is no skew that only changes pixel location rather than the number and colors of pixels. In other words I need to display the grass in glsl as points on an array at 60 degrees.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: CKH4 on March 21, 2015, 06:40:27 PM
Well I tried something but its not good imo.

Looks like Animal Crossing's roll method of warping the overworld to avoid having the whole map to draw.
DO you want to make a mode7 like thing?
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

indeed looks a bit like mode7 (atleast from what ive heard about mode7)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: CKH4 on March 21, 2015, 11:16:56 PM
yes I thought it would look so much better. :'(

Here's a new attempt:

That is my favorite :D. It is still not 100% old school due to the blur effects and stuff but I guess that does the job.

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on March 23, 2015, 04:37:06 PM
SOmething like that :
Do you plan to finish this? O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Lost the sources of the progress I made on the rotation sprite manager and Siapran lost interest so no.

CKH4

@DJ Omnimaga Do you want me to make a non-blurry one? It'd be really easy and I could do it after school.

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on March 24, 2015, 09:19:41 AM
Lost the sources of the progress I made on the rotation sprite manager and Siapran lost interest so no.
Awww. That's sad.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah I know, that's quite sad as I never got to scale the map down to make the tiles smaller (smaller <=> more details)... I still have the projection source code if anyone is interessed.