Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

You can now get sued for writing a negative software review on a forum.

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 14, 2016, 05:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: c4ooo on April 30, 2016, 07:57:56 PM
I think this should be newsed. Also, is there a copy of the original review post?
Nah, this isn't really newsworthy CW-wise, although if this ever happens on a calc site or something closely-related to our focus then that could definitively be a newsworthy item (eg if a company sues a forum for writing a bad review about their game)

As for the review itself, it's the one in the last link in the first post of this topic
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

This is quite rediculous.

I was looking at the comments on their page about funding, and people were ask why they were campaigning for money. Its more about the priciple, now, rather than the money, I think. They want to get as many people to know about it as possible.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, if the company drops their lawsuits, the forum says  the money will be donated to charity. Also yeah they could remove the review, but they want to fight for our free speech rights instead.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

GalacticPirate

Well, now all this is abused. Last week in France a woman sued a dentist because she stole a bag with €1000 in it at his surgery, and then the dentist put the CCTV recording on Facebook  <_<
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

aetios

ceci n'est pas une signature

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Indeed, she sued (after getting sued for stealing the money) for abusive behaviour concerning one's privacy and right to not be used in media. WHen you're filmed/recorded/shoot (even if in background), you have the right to refuse to be shown or even ask for royalties. So yeah, the clever girl just sued for him posting a video of her on FB and might get away with it because regarding to the laws, he wasn't allowed to do so.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

I hope that doesn't make her immune to criminal charges against stealing.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

• Calculators owned: A lot.

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

brentmaas

Lel I glitched Omni

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, calculator-wise they seem headed in the right direction since TI seems to love them so much. :P

Otherwise I think what French people are referring to is that France laws or the constitution has severe loopholes that pretty much allows citizens to get away with any crime under certain circumstances. I don't remember exactly how, but it was brought up in the ISIS attack topic a while ago. It mostly revolved around police barely having any intervention power, though.