Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CodeWalrus: Now with ads!

Started by Yuki, October 07, 2016, 10:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ooo

Quote from: p2 on October 16, 2016, 09:11:53 PM
maybe even make it a little bit more:
people submit their own ads, people vote for their favorite member-made ad and it'll get added or something like that ^^
But then there's no profit :P

p2

it looks like that, yess, but actually it will result in people being even more involved in the whole advertising stuff. The change from "I hate ads" to "sure I disable adblockers, I want to see the ads to vote for my favoreit one"
It's very well possible it's gonna result in even more members watching the ads which would on the other hand neutralize the negative effect ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Yuki

Yeah, we made a point to let our users the possibility to put their own ads up, otherwise it's no fun and we wouldn't put ads here in the first place.

For the voting thing, I'm not sure how it would work, but I guess you can always vote for the best one in the other thread.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

p2

yess but that would only be fun if enough members submited ads xD
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

So I was wondering if we were receiving any outcome, now that we mostly have those online comic ads? I know the highest bid is usually around 0.01-0.02 but I was wondering if the income was basically the second highest bid like on Ebay?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Simple. We get whatever the highest bid is per day minus 15%+GST going to Project Wonderful as a commission, for every region. I think it's precise to 1/100th of a cent, so no problem there.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah, I thought we got what the second highest bid was. On Ebay, IIRC, if you bid $30 and the previous person bid $15 then I think you pay $15, right?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

I'm not sure it works like this. You bid $30 because you said you'd pay $30 for it if you win, then you pay $30 because you won.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

kotu

I don't think it works exactly like that
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Juju on November 14, 2016, 03:13:00 AM
I'm not sure it works like this. You bid $30 because you said you'd pay $30 for it if you win, then you pay $30 because you won.
I'm confused then. Many people told me in the past that it was not that way. That crap is complicated as hell it seems.

Yuki

I never really bought anything on eBay and I don't really know how it works, they probably added their own twist on the process, but, as far as I know, this is pretty much how auctions generally work. Both on eBay and Project Wonderful, there is mechanisms that lets you automatically outbid the current bid until a limit you set, and as far as I know, you pay the price you bid.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

YEah, I personally just look at the latest bid and assume that that bid or what I'll bid will be what I'll pay. I usually just bid at the very last minute.

On a side note, if calc.news traffic is significant enough, do you think ads could be added there too or would you need a different Project Wonderful account due to being a different domain name?

Thanks for explaining, by the way

Yuki

It can go on the same account, yeah. The limit is 5 ad boxes/site.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN