Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

I never heard of anyone having the need of a special place to attribute the copyright of their avatar, the signature is a pretty fine place to do that IMO, but if someone on the staff wants to look into this that would probably be nice. (Not that we have a lot of user-customizable fields already but eh, that wouldn't rank very high in our to-do list.)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

DarkestEx

Quote from: Juju on June 18, 2016, 07:03:20 AM
I never heard of anyone having the need of a special place to attribute the copyright of their avatar, the signature is a pretty fine place to do that IMO, but if someone on the staff wants to look into this that would probably be nice. (Not that we have a lot of user-customizable fields already but eh, that wouldn't rank very high in our to-do list.)
Well especially here in Germany, there is nothing like Fair Use, so even if you get the permission of using the image, displaying the original copyright is extremely important. Giving copyright and source near the image is absolutely important. I would even go and write the mod for myself, if you can't just use the existing fields library to add a small hover to the image.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

We can't please every country authorities, though. It would come back to our forum rule #1 anyway (about people or groups trying to instate rules on CW that don't exist). SMF software is international. But yeah, a mod allowing people to do this wouldn't hurt. I guess what could be done is allow people to take their custom text so that it hovers on the avatar, but it would need to be an option.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 18, 2016, 04:36:18 PM
We can't please every country authorities, though. It would come back to our forum rule #1 anyway (about people or groups trying to instate rules on CW that don't exist). SMF software is international. But yeah, a mod allowing people to do this wouldn't hurt. I guess what could be done is allow people to take their custom text so that it hovers on the avatar, but it would need to be an option.
Well a lot of other countries are affected aswell. Also this is something I always found to be an important feature. People get fined thousands of euros/dollars/tomatoes for violating copyright rules. Even though I try to get copyright sorted out for me by contacting artists myself and putting stuff into my signature and whereever else it, would it still be an incredibly useful feature for others too.

The only thing it would need to do is set the title attribute of the img html tag. This displays the text when you hover over the image.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

I am curious if there would be a way to make the attribute dynamic, based on user ID, and if the Custom text field contains a certain character or tag then it's parsed differently.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 18, 2016, 05:28:07 PM
I am curious if there would be a way to make the attribute dynamic, based on user ID, and if the Custom text field contains a certain character or tag then it's parsed differently.
Probably, but adding a separate field would be easier as you just need to add the field's contents to the title tag and not having to bother with specially formatted fields.
If the tag is empty, there won't be a tool tip showing up anyways.

Dream of Omnimaga

I'll see if we can embed CSS inside the field. I know we can use special codes but I don't know about CSS and HTML. It will probably take a while, though, before we look into this.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 18, 2016, 08:48:42 PM
I'll see if we can embed CSS inside the field. I know we can use special codes but I don't know about CSS and HTML. It will probably take a while, though, before we look into this.
Sure, thanks, though it should be quite simple to do.
CSS is not even involved at all. It's just adding the field to the theme's img tag for th avatars.
It's nowhere urgent but a small thing.

Dream of Omnimaga

Update: The screenshots banner on the front page has been updated with a 3rd row, including some more recent releases. I only included programs that had a download being posted, though.

As before, note that there might be more additions in the future, though, such as a smaller strip of game ports (eg the SDL ones) and unreleased projects that we worked on to showcase what our users do, though.

Dream of Omnimaga

Bump:

Site updates:
-The Randomness board is now visible to guests. Since it isn't that spammy (eg no word association/ban the user above you games) and that topics there requires a moderator to approve them when created, I might get @Juju to whitelist it on Walrified bot.

-I recycled my old Omnimaga monthly stats graph (I still had the OpenOffice file) and added this below Juju's statsgraph. Unlike Statsgraph, cwpoststats is static, though. If anyone remembers, despite stepping down from Omnimaga admin in 2011, I unofficially remained in charge of updating that graph, with the difference being that I had to bug an admin to copy the updated picture on their server. They ditched that graphic during the 2014 upgrade: https://web.archive.org/web/20140214005353/http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?action=stats

EDIT: Not worthy of a bump, but I made the affiliate links at the bottom of the page so that they open in a new tab.

Dream of Omnimaga

Site updates:

-About section now has updated disclaimers: https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=28.0 (mainly to ensure that CW's history is preserved in long terms)

-MTV Music Generator production/showcase board added to the music section https://codewalr.us/index.php?board=65.0 (due to the recent TIMGUL partial merger)

-PC & Mac sub-forum renamed to include vintage computers

Dream of Omnimaga

Bump:

-@DarkestEx now has editor status, so adding topics to the front page no longer requires a moderator to approve them.
-The Classifields sub-forum will arrive soon.
-Some WalrusIRC smileys were replaced (s:3= and r:3=), and broken (404) ones that happened as a result were fixed soon afterwards.
-Spambot queue was cleaned up and userlist scanned again to detect previously undetected spambots. One was set to require user activation and the rest were rejected.

Dream of Omnimaga

The OneAll Social Login plugin has been updated. THis caused some social login outages for a few minutes as upgrading that particular plugin resets our settings, but it should be working now. If you encounter any issues with any social network let us know (at a d m i n @ c o d e w a l r . u s if you can't login at all)

Dream of Omnimaga

So I spotted some things that need updating and I'm writing them here in case I forget the next time I update the site:

-The Short URLs in topics needs to be changed from http to https. That might require me temporary ssh access to the template files, though.
-Adding the classifield/yard sale sub-forum
-Maybe a translation/dubbing/subbing sub-forum as well?
-Making other/walriifanart or whatever the folder was so that they show up as images in WalrusIRC.

The rest seems to be in the previous posts overall.

p2

In "New Posts" when clicking a tag like [z80] or [ti 84+ ce] it redirects to the search site (https://codewalr.us/index.php?action=search2;search=) but its always searching for an empty string... Maybe add tags as Additional options to the search function? :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)