Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I think that is the main issue. CSS can do the animation (see the flying walrus animation in Streetwalrus's profile, for example) but not trigger it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

CKH4

@Juju yes, take this recent site design idea that I've made. But, registering swipe data is impossible in CSS.

Lol forgot the URL.
http://codepen.io/CKH4/pen/NqOLyK
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Juju on July 31, 2015, 10:16:30 PM
Not even, you can do that in CSS too.
Really? I thought that CSS didn't have any interactivity.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 31, 2015, 11:17:48 PM
Quote from: Juju on July 31, 2015, 10:16:30 PM
Not even, you can do that in CSS too.
Really? I thought that CSS didn't have any interactivity.
With :hover, :target and animations, you can do quite a lot of interesting stuff. But if you want to swipe instead of pressing on a button, then yes you'd want to use JavaScript.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

CKH4

Well in CSS on mobile you can do hover and on desktop you can do focus. You could also do a radio button/check box label for more control but I mostly use a focus hack.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah right, I guess :hover or whatever is for clicks could be handy. We could simply use buttons for when in mobile I guess. Swiping isn't necessary, especially that one day browsers might have swipe menus which would prevent the page from working properly.

CKH4

Well the nice thing about :hover on mobile is that it works the same as :focus on desktop except it applies to any element rather than elements that require user input.

Also nowadays it would be a poor choice to add a swipe action on Android as it would cause many websites (such as answers.yahoo.com and materializecss.com) to not function as intended. On ios it is less of a problem because it seems they handle swipes differently.

The current setup for mobile nav is satisfactory but you may want to make the hover action to see the subitems more accessible. I can make a codepen demo of that functionality when I get internet back at my house.

Dream of Omnimaga

When do you get Internet back by the way? Also my idea was to have translucent or green arrow blocks on each side of CW website, on the home and stats pages. Clicking them would make navigation visible. Those arrows would float on the page (absolute position)

CKH4

We're switching to twc so it may take a while but were going out to get our modem/router combo today. I'm thinking about http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-DOCSIS-Cable-Router/dp/B00IF0JAYE#immersive-view_1438519625355 but it may be too expensive in stores (or they may not even carry it).

Also I can't quite visualize your design idea, could you possibly do a mockup in Photoshop or whatever? My idea to make subitems more accessible is to have you click the box once to open the submenu and then click it again to navigate to the main item. I might do a position hack to complete it in the demo but maybe JS would be better for the final version but more intensive.

Dream of Omnimaga

SOrry, I didn't have time to post my design, but I will try to do it if I have some time and won't forget again.

As for the site, Juju or Streetwalrus might need to fix the issue causing some admin settings to not update immediately (often takes 5 minutes) and posts not being marked as read all the time.

Unicorn

I don't have that problem with the posting... I know that when there is an edit, it shows th new sign.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah it started happening a week ago or so for me.  I had the same issue on Cemetech but it's more pronounced on CodeWalrus.

Unicorn

Oh really? huh. I have a problem with posts I havent read being shown as read over there, but that doesn't matter to much.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

I updated the first post to include and remove stuff that was either missing or outdated. The highlights are the following (the first two were already there, but I changed them). There is already another topic for the WIRC issue so discussion about it should be kept there.

-Make topic tags show up in Recent Posts and IRC post notifications. (Mod was updated to support that, but the author has yet to implement it)
-Make WalrusIRC show forum and Telegram users in the online list instead of just IRC users

-Add merch store (there is one under construction but the selection is poor and I need to buy samples)
-Fix cache issues causing stuff to remain marked as unread from time to time, even after visiting it.