Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Curse of the Minotaur [TI-BASIC]

Started by TIfanx1999, August 02, 2015, 01:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

For text you have no choice but to go full file size or strip off parts of the story. My early RPGs suffered from lack of storyline because of that.The only way to do it in pure basic is to keep multiple strings of text archived, but then you use all string vars. But then you get around the lack of archiving programs inside programs issue that plagues pure BASIC.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

You may end up having an app var for the storyline things. O.O
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Appvar usage is impossible in pure BASIC.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Well, yeah, I should've added a appears using Celtic or some other lib.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

TIfanx1999

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 02, 2015, 02:23:01 PM
I like it Art. Is the text at the bottom always displaying or does it only appear once entering a new area or when stopping moving? Also I see you went with the Nemesiat/Illusiat 6/7 style HUD :P (although with more text)

This was posted in the mockup thread and I missed it. The question is in regards to this mockup:

The text box at the bottom will always remain there. I'm considering using ti to display town names when you enter. It'll also display other info. For example; If you open a chest it'll say "Player found x gold!" or things like that. If the chest is empty It could say "This chest is empty". It can also displaying other messages when you interact with objects. That's the idea anyways.

*Edit* I may actually extend the bottom box to the full length of the screen and shrink the side HUD slightly.

*Edit2*: Can someone move the post to here: https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=640.msg19956;topicseen#new
I accidentally posted in the wrong thread.

c4ooo

I think you should make the HUD a bit smaller. If your game has good balance, you shouldn't be able to have 99999 health :P Although, idk, perhaps due to you using basic a bigger game screen might couse to much lag *shrugs shoulders*

CKH4

That may be more to limit money but if so the display makes no sense. Especially since basic handles variables so easily.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

TIfanx1999

The HUD size could potentially shrink. Those numbers were just place holders. I'm not sure how large HP/ other stats will be as of yet.

Snektron

I think the side menu looks pretty sweet. But yeah as i said somewhere earlier, maybe you can make it be hidden, but if you take damage or pick up some money or any other thing that affects one of these stats, make it pop up.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

TIfanx1999

The problem with pure BASIC is that you can't use the rightmost column in the graph screen. The tiles are 8x8, so I'm unable to use the rightmost column for tiles. I figured a HUD would be a decent solution to put there.

Unicorn

Good call. Its looking pretty nice anyways!

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: c4ooo on August 13, 2015, 08:01:47 PM
I think you should make the HUD a bit smaller. If your game has good balance, you shouldn't be able to have 99999 health :P Although, idk, perhaps due to you using basic a bigger game screen might couse to much lag *shrugs shoulders*
It depends. Some games are extremely long and have 255 levels instead of 99, so people might not be willing to wait 30 battles to level up. With 255 levels you can triple leveling up speed. Also some games will usually end at LV 99 but then have side quests that requires close to 255. And I guess some games try to go in the 5 HP digits to impress. :P

That said, a larger HUD limits the amount of tiles that you need to display to fill the rest of the screen. While this might seem like a bad thing, since he wants to stick to pure BASIC, this might actually reduce map loading time considerably.

TIfanx1999

Cross-posted from Omnimaga:
Here's a quick mockup of what the battle screen might look like. Please note that the sprites are only place holders and will not be used in the game.

c4ooo

Quote from: Art_of_camelot on August 19, 2015, 12:23:54 AM
Cross-posted from Omnimaga:
Here's a quick mockup of what the battle screen might look like. Please note that the sprites are only place holders and will not be used in the game.

Image does not work. Says it's forbidden. Just upload it to imgur or something.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I have the same issue @Art_of_camelot . 403 forbidden so I can't see the image.