Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CE Textlib/Basic Drawing

Started by Dudeman313, March 11, 2016, 11:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually, my previous post was wrong. It's 26x59, not 13x59. Here is a better mockup:

As for what you say, can you give an example?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

A simplified Flappy Bird background. And if it takes forever to draw, will it slow down the game further once it's there?

Also, I just realized that the Nokia E63 I'm posting from has the same resolution and screen size as my CE. O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

After updates, I tested drawing some dummy picture from a small list of 8 elements. The data was always the same for all lines, but I tried using 26 rectangles at a time to draw an entire row at once and it only took 7 seconds to render :D

The problem, though, is that a list cannot be larger than 999 elements, so if a picture converter was made, the image data would have to be split in two lists. String-based images are most likely out of the question, because they're very slow, but we never know.
Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 17, 2016, 01:58:09 AM
A simplified Flappy Bird background. And if it takes forever to draw, will it slow down the game further once it's there?

Also, I just realized that the Nokia E63 I'm posting from has the same resolution and screen size as my CE. O.O
I think for a Flappy Bird clone you would be better off using the same type of background as Wal-Rush CE, but with pipes scrolling through it might be hard to have parallax scrolling, so that might need to be ditched. Pipes could probably be made to look nice, but with two on the screen at a time it would probably slow down.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

7 seconds is far too long. :(
And the game is not entirely in Textlib.
What I did was just take a recently created French basic Flappy Bird TI Edition by Matt Crespin, add colors, and translate it to English.

It's in ASCII art. The pipes are made from *s and it's so slow that it's super easy.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Did you ask him permission? Also for a Flappy Bird game you wouldn't display an actual image like above, but rather a few rectangles. For speed you could make pipes plain green rectangles

Dudeman313

No, but it was on TI-Planet under a license that said I was allowed to remix it...

And like I think I mentioned, maybe not, I'm not doing this from scratch. All I did was colour the original graphics, but I needed a background for the actual game part, and even with colours and half-translated menus being the only difference between the original and mine, it seemed to have slowed a lot.

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you have  a screenshot of what you have so far?

Dudeman313

No. I still can't get CEmu to work, and since I'm currently preparing for school, I don't have time to use TI-Connect.  :-|
I'll post one later, though.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

That sucks. Haven't Mateo been able to find the issue? It might definitively be the school filter or something, though. Those can screw up computers very badly if they are of shady origins. Or you could post the program and someone can make a screenshot (maybe me if I have time).

Also there are two versions of CE Textlib. Make sure to use 1.1 not 1.0. 1.0 is fine if you only need features in it, but 1.1 has many more.

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 17, 2016, 06:58:47 PM
That sucks. Haven't Mateo been able to find the issue? It might definitively be the school filter or something, though. Those can screw up computers very badly if they are of shady origins. Or you could post the program and someone can make a screenshot (maybe me if I have time).

Also there are two versions of CE Textlib. Make sure to use 1.1 not 1.0. 1.0 is fine if you only need features in it, but 1.1 has many more.
Mateo investigated, and found that the problem is not the program, but probably my own computer. Now if only I knew exactly what. :(

I think I'm using CE Textlib 1.1. It's the one on ticalc.org, I think.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

That sucks. Could it be related to your graphics card, RAM or is it OS-specific? It could be an undetected virus, though. You can get viruses just by accidentally clicking an ad or by going on a site with infected ads without knowing they're infected.

Dudeman313

Mateo told me he removed hardware dependency, and ben_g says it works on Windows 10. It could be a virus, though, but if I had one I wouldn't know how to find and get rid of it, though.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you mean coloring each Output command separately?

You would need to do this, for example:

{16,<color>,17,<bgColor>
asm(prgmTEXTLIB
Output(Y,X,<text>
{16,<color>,17,<bgColor>
asm(prgmTEXTLIB
Output(Y,X,<text>
{16,<color>,17,<bgColor>
asm(prgmTEXTLIB
Output(Y,X,<text>

On an unrelated note, I tried experimenting with drawing 4x4 squares anywhere on the screen instead of 12x4 ones, and this was the result:

And I never figured out how to draw them vertically at something else than multiples of 4. So a custom font routine using such small squares would probably not be of any practical use.

Dudeman313

Well, at least it looks cool.
"THE GAME?" Really?  <_<
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

I couldn't resist. Also it took a long while to get the coordinates right. Drawing such text as a sprite routine would be a major nightmare O.O (and the resulting nightmare would probably, in turn, result into massive lag)