Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

An Idea.... Legend of Zelda: Dark Link's Quest on CE?

Started by Dudeman313, February 06, 2016, 08:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

Oh. I don't even know TI-BASIC. :P I should learn, though.
So if this became a project, I'd be in xLIBC?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Most likely. Also yeah I wish you could learn how to program (assuming you ever get allowed to code by your parents), so you could try to port some of the smaller games eventually. We would be happy to help you if you need extra assistance.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Dudeman313

My only problem is that all the games I'd like to port are complicated. I think the simplest of them all is either Bloxorz or CubeRunner.
And BASIC can be done from my calc; the only issue is being online to get help. That's one thing my CE can't do. :P
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh, I was actually refering to the fact your parents don't allow you to program games, or at least from what I remember you were not allowed to code. Just don't get online while in class or when supposed to do homework and chores. Same for coding. only do that stuff during your hobbies.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

I'm actually not allowed to do a lot of things...like be on forums :( ...and use my computer for things other than school work.
My laptop's not in my room, I had to sneak downstairs to be able to use it after midnight :P and I could code, I just might get in trouble, or my mom would just not care due to job stuff or because I've done all my work. My dad would keep asking me, persistently, what I'm doing, if he's even home. He's a stay-at-work dad, and I know less about him than I know about where you live. Next to nothing.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

That sucks. I hope one day you can convince them that we can do a living from programming and that they will let you code.

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 05, 2016, 06:46:05 PM
That sucks. I hope one day you can convince them that we can do a living from programming and that they will let you code.
Me too, but for now, I'll just have to do these things undercover.

Also, aren't we getting off-topic? (Yes, that's right, I beat you to it. :P)
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

I was trying to make you find ways to make Dark Link Quest CE for me in a few years. :trollface:

Anyway more seriously I doubt Zelda from me will happen in short terms. But it's not ruled out.

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 13, 2016, 10:07:05 PM
I was trying to make you find ways to make Dark Link Quest CE for me in a few years. :trollface:

Anyway more seriously I doubt Zelda from me will happen in short terms. But it's not ruled out.
I admit, I almost fell for it...

There's always a possibility.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol, you definitively should not start with such elaborate project. <.< Even myself finds an action adventure game very difficult to make.

Dudeman313

Yeah, I'd better start with a platformer or something with moving stuff, though.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, the following are screenshots of a cancelled TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition Zelda RPG project. The only ASM lib used was LCDTOOL, which switched to 160x240 mode. Everything else in the game was pure BASIC:

The game could have easily been adapted for full 320x240 mode and probably ran even faster on a CE, meaning a pure-BASIC Zelda game could be possible. But the engine was also designed to minimize map redrawing when switching rooms. When going to the next room, only the middle of the floor and parts of the walls were supposed to be updated to erase doors, pathways or items and vice-versa. But the sprites were extremely small.

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks. I kinda wish I had the motivation to finish it earlier, but then xLIBC arrived and stuff. It would have been fun to have a full Zelda clone run in pure BASIC or at least with only the LCDTOOL program to show off :P

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 25, 2016, 02:43:40 AM
Thanks. I kinda wish I had the motivation to finish it earlier, but then xLIBC arrived and stuff. It would have been fun to have a full Zelda clone run in pure BASIC or at least with only the LCDTOOL program to show off :P
Yeah.
Does LCDTOOL have a CE version?
I was wondering how fast this would run if it did.

The answer is "Sure."