Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Super Indie Karts

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, May 06, 2015, 03:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Outrun does the simple y-based z-projection (dividing length proportionnaly to the distance, something like (horizon-y)/scale). I'd like, in the end, to do a racing game for Casio, but it would be C, it would be generic enough to allow porting on another platforms. If I were to get back on [C]UP, it  could have a Walrii flavor, don't worry.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok but something I noticed with Outrun and similar games too (at least the more complex ones), it seems that each row of pixels are connected to each others so when there are curves, they gradually appear and stuff. Not sure how to explain it, but that's basically what I would be aiming for.

My main worry is about how large the road map would be  and how long the map would have to be so that I don't have to worry too much about drawing stuff outside the road. Ideally I would like to use a texture for the grass too. I could always just do like some TI-89 first person shooters and just have the grass be randomly-generated every frame, though (from pre-rendered frames that contains randomly-generated grass)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, as these kind of effects are h-blank based, they occur once per row. Cue this impression. (If you would do one/pixel ,that would just become a minimalist one plane 3D projection and you would lose a lot of performances to add just one rotation axis.

And drawing outside the road could be easily managed. Once you have the projected coordinate, you could check if you're into the map and if not, use a default texture.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

The issue though is that if I did it for the HP Prime I would most likely want the entire grass to be textured, so for road segements that are far away and zoomed out, let's say that the middle segements were 160x1, then I would probably need about 800 pixels in lenght worth of grass (400 on each side of the road) for big curves. I guess the other idea could be to leave the grass untextured, but that wouldn't look as great.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U