Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Smartphone technical discussion

Started by Duke "Tape" Eiyeron, January 19, 2015, 05:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

So... What do you guys think of the ARA? :)
I can't wait to get my hands on one >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

CKH4

Ugh I would buy like over 9000 of them. They look soooooo good.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, this project seems to have a neat future, it's a very good idea to do this kind of modular phone.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Regarding Android 5, I didn't install it yet because I heard it had many problems, such as reboot loop when charging if the language is set to French Canadian and in some cases much higher battery usage. So I decided to wait a bit until that stuff is fixed.

By the way, shouldn't those two topics be located in the general hardware and modding section?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

I wasn't sure if it being off topic overrides the hardware thingy so I went on the safe side of off topic.

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 19, 2015, 10:53:55 PM
By the way, shouldn't those two topics be located in the general hardware and modding section?
Yeah, I'd move both. Also I shoulda try this Android 5...
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 19, 2015, 10:53:55 PM
Regarding Android 5, I didn't install it yet because I heard it had many problems, such as reboot loop when charging if the language is set to French Canadian and in some cases much higher battery usage. So I decided to wait a bit until that stuff is fixed.

It's been updated twice already. My dad used it for a while on his nexus 5 and didn't have a problem.

I've personally been running cm12 for a while (self builds with some mods in the kernel and board configuration files) and it runs great. Extremely stable and they add features steadily. The kind that should be in stock android imo. It stays simple but allows more customization abilities and it makes the ui overall much more usable. Pretty much why cm is my goto ROM since android 4.3 (after I stopped using paranoid android 3.x which had performance issues).

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok, I wasn't sure because my phone stopped notifying me that updates were available.

That reminds me, since most phones use ARM, I wonder if they could run a TI-Nspire or HP Prime OS? :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Or on a RPI? Although ist probably another ARM version :(

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

IIRC The RPI has a Arm v6, it shouldnt be too hard to put an Android on it. Beware of the low RAM though
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

QuoteDevice implementations MUST have at least 340MB of memory available to the kernel and userspace.
And this is Android 4.4 which requires ARMv7

QuoteDevice implementations MUST have at least 92MB of memory available to the kernel
and userspace.
Android 2.1 can run on ARMv6 and can probably run on RPI.
In fact:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/android-4-0-is-coming/

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Eiyeron on January 20, 2015, 02:14:41 PM
IIRC The RPI has a Arm v6, it shouldnt be too hard to put an Android on it. Beware of the low RAM though

I think he meant  the HP Prime or TI-Nspire OSes, not Android.

CKH4

That would be interesting, I'd definitely load an SD card with it if it were. The only issue I see is the lack of drivers to control it.

aetios

I still run Android 2.3.3 [Gingerbread] :P I didn't like touchwiz at all, so I installed GoLauncher pretty quickly. I think I've been using my phone with a Go interface (golaunch, golocker, toucher pro) for like 2 years now. Sadly recently GoLocker has been glitchy with my phone in that it causes my text input fields to block out so I can't type which is pretty annoying, and it also randomly locks my phone while I'm using it, so I disabled screen lock altogether :P
ceci n'est pas une signature

CKH4

I like Nova launcher, it's fast, pretty smooth and looks however you want it. I think that some of the L style features look better than the actual thing.