Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

NHL Playoffs (ice hockey) + bracket challenge!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 13, 2015, 05:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Up until an official confirmation, either those sources are legitimate, or they just tell what people want to hear... No one knows for sure. The Canadiens might actually benefit from a second team in the province, though. Another Bell vs. Vidéotron rivalry? They should be delighted.

The whole deal with Peter Karmanos (and other on-the=brim-to-be-relocated teams) are just shuffling the cards even further. Who knows what will happen? No one knows for sure but the NHL and the owners, but for me if one of those teams are going to be relocated they know and they won't award an expansion team to Québec, citing problems with the Canadian dollar instead.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

The NHL hates rumors and especially hate when a potential franchise owner talks too much. Example: Look at what happened to Jim Balsillie. They want you to follow their rules and one of the main rule is "be quiet and don't say anything". They don't want to give false hopes to fans in those cities.

However, Las Vegas is not an hockey market, so in order to make it one, that silence rule needs to be broken. This is why Bill Foley can talk so much about how he wants to get a team and why medias talk so much about Vegas being done deal, yet still manages to get away with it. This is a good way to market hockey in Las Vegas: Creating hype about it.

So this could be why they rarely ever say anything about Quebec. It might have caused many newspapers to think Quebec bid was flushed down the toilet. But it's still kinda scary, especially with Jeremy Jacobs seemingly thinking Quebec cannot support hockey.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

People only seem to think about population size... yeah, nope. Many small towns have their teams, like Winnipeg, Green Bay, etc. and they do well.

Also Pens vs. Sharks tonight, it might end tonight with a Pens win...
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I think Pens have good chances. They surprise me this year.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

2-2 after 5 minutes, damn it's crazy so far.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Darn. Is it the defense/goaltending or did players went all-out attack rampage? I can't watch the game because I'm at a Cuba National Team vs Capitales baseball game.

Yuki

Dunno, probably both. They just went crazy.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

So here we are for game 6 Sunday. I thought Pittsburgh was gonna win it all last night but it seems I was wrong. Maybe San Jose finally got used to Pens' style of play (which is kinda hard when East vs West only play each other teams twice per season)

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah D:. But at least it's not Chicago or LA yet again lol. It was always the same teams for a while. I kinda wish the Sharks did it, though (or one of my favorite teams). And I hope next year there are Canadian teams in the playoffs.

Yuki

Eh, I do think the Penguins are one of the best teams in the NHL and one of my favourites.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Personally I don't like them as much for a few reasons. I used to do, but that was until the 2012 playoffs vs Phidalelphia where I discovered Crosby's bad habit of whining about every friggin stupid little things on the ice to draw penalties on the other team. Plus that was around that time where some of their star players started tanking every playoff year (eg Crosby and Fleury) and the management either didn't do much to improve those issues or failed to spend their salary cap properly for years, ending up in constant danger or being forced to trade star players and decimating their roster just to stay under the salary cap.

But of course that might just be me and it's not because I like the Flyers because I don't care about them. My main teams in order are the Jets, Sens, Red Wings and Avalanche right now. There are others such as the Oilers, Preds and Flames that I like, but I don't follow them as much.

Dream of Omnimaga

Juju I don't know if this guy is legit, but if he's right then that's what I predict as well.

http://www.zonenordiques.com/chroniques.php?no_chronique=383

Keyword: The 30 teams don't want to lose 2 players in a single year.

Yuki

That's what I thought since a while, and this bluebird guy gives good arguments in favor of it. Since the market is rather small, Las Vegas can afford to leak the info, everyone knows the league wants to try there and add yet another team in the desert, but for Québec City, Québécor and the NHL definitely want to make it a surprise and feed the rumor machine to the max (and, if you read their newspapers, you know Québécor is quite good at that), and if that's the case, so far the secret is surprisingly well guarded. If it's not an expansion, we'll likely have a team move announced next Wednesday. Québécor can easily afford both scenarios, they're more than ready for those and the NHL knows it.

During one of the lasts Vegas-is-getting-a-team-and-only-Vegas leaks, it was mentioned that Québec was barely mentioned once during the meeting... maybe because they know the Hurricanes move was already a done deal? That or they're good at hiding their cards. Anyway, that's the scenario I'm expecting, an expansion and a move will give both towns their teams but will only add one team, and thus, less player losses for the other teams, and in bonus we'll get the Nordiques back as early as next season with an already established roster. (They weren't that good last season, but eh, it's probably better than what Las Vegas will get. Except if one of the teams like the Penguins forgot to protect one of their best players, that's very unlikely, but eh, we never know, maybe one of the teams will give out a good player about to retire like Jagr, just to help out during the first year? If you remember, the Nordiques pulled that stunt in 1991 with Guy Lafleur, but he was traded back to Québec and he retired before the season began.)

Anyway, I can't wait to see what will happen on that day. Will Québécor spectacularly get the bunny out of their hat? Tune in next Wednesday for the grand finale of Expansion Team Academy!
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

My only issue with Bluebird is that in the past 5 years, there were people on ZN and in the medias that looked like they were very legit, but finally we discovered they were trolling us all along. Bluebird, IIRC, visited the site a few years ago and seemed close to some sources, but that site has so many members that I lost track of which ones are the most credible. If Bluebird is one of the credible guys, then we're probably on a good path.

As for Quebecor, they're the masters of clickbait and sensationalism. I bet that Bettman gave them the job to not give false hopes to people in Quebec, so now it's entirely possible that they try to make it sound like we will never get a team, just so that they can keep the surprise until the very last minute.

As for Vegas, well, Vegas is not an hockey market, so they need to market the game there much harder. I'm sure this is why they are allowed to talk so much about it in a positive manner.

As for Quebec City, the fact is that yes, we would be the smallest market in the league overall, and by far. But we can't just look at the market size. Our corporate support is limited, but our fans are so passionate that they'll rent luxury boxes themselves if there are any left. The fan support and the Canadian TV deal would offset the low corporate revenues. Also, back when the Nordiques were around, they drew higher than the Winnipeg Jets and Boston Bruins almost every season. I think we will be between Winnipeg and Ottawa, which would put us in the middle of the league and still make profits (at least unless the Canadian dollar drops to $0.60).

As for the Hurricanes I don't think they can move in 2016. The lawsuit just started a few weeks ago, so I'm sure they need to know if they win or not before deciding what to do with the team.

Regarding players who always dreamed of playing in Quebec before retiring, I think it might be a bit too late for that, though, because many who did, such as Simon Gagné, already retired. But I wouldn't be surprised if that happened during the first season or so.

ANyway, we'll see Wednesday. I think if we don't get a team at all then Rogers will be pissed, because they lost so many revenues due to the lack of any Canadian teams in the playoffs