Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Staff Announcements - January '15

Started by aetios, January 18, 2015, 08:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aetios

Hey everybody, report from your staff here!

It's been a few weeks since we launched, and I hope everyone has been enjoying it so far here. We're always looking for points to improve so if you have any ideas, post them. You might just have this epic idea that we never thought of!

In the few weeks since we launched, we've already gone through a few changes:
-pimathbrainiac has resigned from his staff position, because he's very busy with regular life and he told us he can't have the additional weight of running a site. He said he'll still be doing the Project Periodical. Good luck with everything pimath!

-To fill up the free spot caused by pimath's resigning, Eiyeron has been promoted to the moderator position. This means he can ban people and generally be annoying help running the site, so if streetwalrus is being annoying again a spambot attack happens, you can poke him and he'll probably fix it (if he doesn't, poke me and I'll stab him)

-Finally on staffing, I (aeTIos) have been promoted to admin again (I stepped down before opening due to not really knowing anything about server/forum management), because I'll be managing forum backups.

Next on the list is the Elite Coder badge. This badge is awarded if you have a promising project and can show substantial progress. If you become Elite Coder, you get a subforum in the Featured Projects board, plus eternal fame! (your mileage may vary).

While writing this, I suddenly realize that giving an "elite coder" badge for a hardware project is weird. Maybe we need an "elite electronics engineer" badge of sorts. Hmm. Gotta discuss this with staff ^_^
Recently, Eiyeron has been awarded the Elite Coder badge. His subforum hasn't been realized yet, but we'll try to get it running by the end of the week :D

Now, some of you also have promising projects. If you think you and  your project are awesome enough to get a subforum and eternal fame (ymmv), you can apply in the comments section below with:

1) the project you want to apply,
2) a short explanation of recent progress,
3) a short summary of what your goals are with this project.

Don't hesitate to apply, no application is wrong. If you feel like applying in public is bragging, you can also PM me your application.

The staff's decision will be published in thenext Staff Announcement on Saturday, the 14th of February. If by then your project doesn't have enough progress to be considered major, fear not: we will be running hiring rounds very frequently.

All in all, we're really happy to see so many people posting and generally be useless hang around. Just, we'd love to see a bit less activity in off-topic and more in on-topic ;) Get your project out there, get famous (again, ymmv). Try to make some friends join the party! Remember that even though the main area of activity is currently calculator programming, we're not solely focused on that. Actually, we would like to see some PC/android/somethingelse projects started up, so if you know anyone who has such projects, try to get them to register and help the walrus fly  ^___^

With love~,
Your Staff.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Street needs pink nick and also eiyeron wasnt removed due to pimath leaving as he was promoted before I knew pi resigned :P

I hope pi sticks around tho. Also we originally didn't plan an elite coder badge, as it was added later to give more people the chance of getting such recognition. You can still get a featured project subforum as regular member, just your nick will not be listed with the team and you wont have the elite coder badge.

Anyway some elite coders are pending approval :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

Oh well, I guess it sounds better the way I put it :trollface:

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

aetios

Hehe, I also have that problem. I never released a single thing. Don't give up though. Also backup your stuff might you decide to make something. I lost so many projects due to lost source code x.x

Dream of Omnimaga

If only you finished Continuity :P

Kidding aside, getting motivation and time simultaneously to code is hard. When I am motivated, I don't have time, and when I have time, I am not motivated (usually due to being exhausted from work and if I am in vacation, I often have other activities like hanging out with friends)

And yes, back up often! tr1p1ea recently lost all his stuff again >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

AssemblyBandit

It's still too early for me to apply, but I think this game is going to be gangster...

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Bragging... yuppppp  :thumbsup:

aetios

That game looks nice :D Looking forward to see progress on that.

Yuki

Yep, looks pretty neat. There's enough potential to consider you.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

pimathbrainiac

So yeah, I'm off of staff now. I'll be around, but I can't be admining.

Also I should prolly start on this month's PP
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: AssemblyBandit on January 19, 2015, 08:29:45 AM
It's still too early for me to apply, but I think this game is going to be gangster...

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Bragging... yuppppp  :thumbsup:
is it like Revolution X?  It looks very nice :D

Quote from: pimathbrainiac on January 19, 2015, 04:38:17 PM
So yeah, I'm off of staff now. I'll be around, but I can't be admining.

Also I should prolly start on this month's PP
thank you a lot for your contributions and for helping CW  to start. You will remain listed as founder/original 5. Btw is nReuben still alive?

pimathbrainiac

Yeah, it is. My computer just got fixed and I can continue progress on nReuben.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok good so I'll keep the subforum. aeTIos wanted to make Elite Coder a requirement to get a subforum but I was agains the idea (although they can get a large subforum for their smaller projects )

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

So each Elite Coder has a subforum for him/herself? NIce!
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

It depends if it's necessary. Some might just have one massive project and nothing else.